Why is the Gov't Telling Americans How We Can (and Can't) Build Our Homes?

Should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

• Total voters
Vancouver recently outlawed doorknobs in new homes. If you are building a home and put doorknobs, instead of levers, on any doors, the city will withhold an occupancy permit. The City knows better than you what is good for you.

Window installers regularly remove double-paned windows from houses going through a remodeling. It's illegal to take these perfectly functioning, energy efficient FREE windows and put them into a new home that you are constructing for yourself, instead you must use vinyl windows instead of aluminum windows because those double-paned aluminum windows can conduct heat to the outside.

If you wish to have a sculptor carve your a sink out of soapstone, that sink won't pass inspection because it is lacking an Underwriters Laboratory inspection mark. You can submit your sink and $10,000 for testing or go and buy a kitchen sink with the UL mark.

In many locations now your roof must be designed to carry a solar panel load even if you have no intention of putting solar panels on your roof.

Liberals always know what is best for you in your own home.
Even the most conservative municipality has strict building codes to protect the investment value of the other homes in the neighborhood. Generally, if you get out of town into some unincorporated area, codes are pretty slack although your insurance company often has a major say in how insured structures are constructed.

I have to agree with the Republicans on this one. If they want to live in homes built out of shit and chicken wire, I say let them. Only one regulation remains. That their property borders on another Republicans property. It's only fair.

I have to agree with the Republicans on this one. If they want to live in homes built out of shit and chicken wire, I say let them. Only one regulation remains. That their property borders on another Republicans property. It's only fair.
Personally I could build a pretty decent, safe home that anyone would like to live in but I have seen some examples of DIY home owners doing things that have in some cases absolutely horrified me, especially wiring jobs, It's almost like they had a death wish or something.

Does that satisfy you, Mustang?

No, not since some of them are just laws that are particular to certain states or municipalities. For example, liquor laws vary from state to state. I used to live in PA, so I'm aware of them there. I also grew up in Maine, and only state owned stores were allowed to sell liquor up until 1991 when the laws were changed. Now, private stores can sell liquor as long as they're licensed by the state. Certainly, any law that's been determined to have outlived it's usefulness or it's original purpose can be changed...or repealed as my previous example makes clear.

In much the same way, the level at which it's legally determined that someone is legally too "impaired" to drive has been changed downward from 0.10 to 0.08 in many states due to the sheer number of fatalities and injuries. But 60 years ago, drunk driving was treated by a legal slap on the wrist compared to the penalties of today.

But I also don't see where you showed why certain regulations were excessive.

Forum List

Back