Why Is It Still OK To 'Trash' Poor White People?

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.

There are white trash, black trash, red and yellow trash...there are also great people of all color who are great people.

I've been called white trash and trailer trash...back on another forum one old hag used it constantly...until I found out she lived in a double wide in West Virginia....oh boy was that a red letter day on that forum when I dropped the hammer LOL

Food for thought....

When poor (or formerly poor) white folks do get portrayed in the media and pop culture, they're often reduced to a series of offensive stereotypes: that they're angry, lazy, dirty, overweight, sunburned, stupid, racist, alcoholic, abusive, jobless, tacky, diseased, violent, backwards, Bible-thumping and uneducated. Those stereotypes get reinforced over and over again on TV and in movies, as anyone who watched Here Comes Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty will tell you.

other slurs, there has been some reclamation of "white trash" — songs and cookbooks and T-shirts that celebrate white-trash culture. And plenty of people unabashedly refer to themselves as white trash.

But no matter who uses it, the phrase itself reinforces some pretty insidious ideas about the meaning of whiteness (and, by reflection, blackness — we'll get to that in a minute). By accepting the idea that white trash exists, people are tacitly accepting that there is another, different kind of whiteness. Normal white people — the ones who aren't white trash — embody all the things white trash can't: They're hardworking, educated, classy, kind and good.

Anyone who doesn't conform to those values can't ever really be fully white. Hence, white trash.

"The problem with the white trash reference is often ... it becomes an easy way to dismiss a group and to generalize," Isenberg says.
bdg5.gif
Alright....that is kinda funny :lol:

There are white trash, black trash, red and yellow trash...there are also great people of all color who are great people.

I've been called white trash and trailer trash...back on another forum one old hag used it constantly...until I found out she lived in a double wide in West Virginia....oh boy was that a red letter day on that forum when I dropped the hammer LOL

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

Personally I dont give a shit either way.
There are white,black,yellow and brown xxxxxx and all colors in between.
I wont associate with any of them.

Edited to remove racial slur. Do not bypass the word filter.

HereWeGoAgain

Last edited by a moderator:

Hell the libs do it on this forum.

But if someone posted a similar cartoon with a black person...would it be funny...or racist...or offensive?

Chris Rock on poor whites
'I got bused to school into a poor white neighborhood. A neighborhood worse than the one I lived in. And everybody’s scared of black people, everybody’s scared of Puerto Ricans. Yo, there ain’t nothing scarier than poor white people… Yo, these muthafuckers, they lived under the trailer home, alright. They weren’t white trash, they’re like white toxic waste.'

ask him....

Hillary really stepped in it when she referred to working class white voters as uneducated, deplorable, homophobic and islamophobic. That is probably the prime reason why she lost.

And I am sure you lob your own set of specialized slurs at libs.

What is interesting in the article is it attacks the assumption that wealthy, urban, educated, “classy” white people cant be racist but poor, rural, southern white people must be.

Anyone can be racist, someone once asked me if people are born racist, I think it's learned somehow. On here I'm constantly called a racist but I don't judge on skin color, I judge on integrity and character

If I were racist I wouldn't work with our Outreach and I'd struggle with dealing with associates of my husband. Just last weekend we entertained a new associate and his wife, both black and we had a very good time. His future is promising

Show me

Anyone can be racist, someone once asked me if people are born racist, I think it's learned somehow. On here I'm constantly called a racist but I don't judge on skin color, I judge on integrity and character

If I were racist I wouldn't work with our Outreach and I'd struggle with dealing with associates of my husband. Just last weekend we entertained a new associate and his wife, both black and we had a very good time. His future is promising

I agree, it is learned and then reinforced through isolation, never having many interactions with the other.

Show me
Libtard ring a bell?

Show me
Libtard ring a bell?

I've rang many a libtard's bell :lmao:

Show me
Libtard ring a bell?
That has nothing to do with racism does it? And we have had this convo before, get back to me when you complain about the names conservatives have been called otherwise remain a hypocrite.

Food for thought....

Because progressives think they're better than everybody else. And, because so many progressives are in the media, they get a free pass.

Forum List

Back