Why is Eli Manning not considered not a average QB?

Eli looks like an average QB because he plays for an average team. He is not surrounded with any future HOF players.
The last eight years the Giants have been a average team. 8-8 to 10-6. Hardly a dynasty. But that average team has managed to win two SuperBowls. That is a credit to Tom Coghlin and Eli Manning.
Once they make the playoffs, they find a way to win and survive every week

Eli is hardly an all time great QB but he is a future HOF player. He gives hope to every 9-7 and 10-6 team that they too can win a championship......Hey, Eli did it......TWICE

That 1st SB had everything to do with the defense. Did you forget the final score was 17-14?

The Belichick cheating Tom Shady excuse is old and worn out. Belichick is a great coach and Brady is a great qb, one of the greatest ever. Brady is going to show his age sooner or later at this point though. Just a matter of time.

I just wish Belechick could have won another SB after spygate to show he is not a fraud

Blame Eli

Eli looks like an average QB because he plays for an average team. He is not surrounded with any future HOF players.
The last eight years the Giants have been a average team. 8-8 to 10-6. Hardly a dynasty. But that average team has managed to win two SuperBowls. That is a credit to Tom Coghlin and Eli Manning.

Eli is hardly an all time great QB but he is a future HOF player. He gives hope to every 9-7 and 10-6 team that they too can win a championship......Hey, Eli did it......TWICE

That 1st SB had everything to do with the defense. Did you forget the final score was 17-14?

Good observation
The Giant D kept them in the game and harassed Brady all game. But Pats led 7-3 after three quarters. In the fourth quarter, it was Eli against the great Tom Brady for the win. Eli won 14-7 including the game winning TD pass with 34 seconds left

Good observation
The Giant D kept them in the game and harassed Brady all game. But Pats led 7-3 after three quarters. In the fourth quarter, it was Eli against the great Tom Brady for the win. Eli won 14-7 including the game winning TD pass with 34 seconds left

Which he was only able to throw because of the hailmary on the previous play:eusa_hand:

Good observation

Which he was only able to throw because of the hailmary on the previous play:eusa_hand:

It wasn't the next play. Actually, he had to convert another key third down on the series after the Tyree catch. Then, Eli killed them with a TD to Buress

Good observation

It wasn't the next play. Actually, he had to convert another key third down on the series after the Tyree catch. Then, Eli killed them with a TD to Buress

I clearly remember after the Tyree catch, the next play being Eli to Plaxico for the TD

Well lets look at the context of the argument. Everyone keeps talking about how he won 2 superbowls but not really looking at what else would make him an elite QB. Just to clarify now I zm in no way saying that winning 2 superbowls doesn't boost your legacy but there can be a few arguments as to why Eli is or isn't considered an Elite QB. First his regular season stats are very up and down he has no consistency......he is either very good or mediocre and that isn't what you really want from him. Missing the playoffs is a huge deal. With the way he plays in the Playoffs you would want him to make it every year which is hard to do but that's what his brother and Brady does. Secondly no one ever says Jim Kelly wasn't an elite QB for losing 4 straight superbowls or even Dan Marino for that matter who went to one and lost it. As of right now even with his 2 superbowls wins many people believe Eli doesn't quite measure up to Marino and really all Marino has is his regular season stats, no superbowl wins just 1 appearance and im guessing more playoff losses than wins but we can check that.

Well lets look at the context of the argument. Everyone keeps talking about how he won 2 superbowls but not really looking at what else would make him an elite QB. Just to clarify now I zm in no way saying that winning 2 superbowls doesn't boost your legacy but there can be a few arguments as to why Eli is or isn't considered an Elite QB. First his regular season stats are very up and down he has no consistency......he is either very good or mediocre and that isn't what you really want from him. Missing the playoffs is a huge deal. With the way he plays in the Playoffs you would want him to make it every year which is hard to do but that's what his brother and Brady does. Secondly no one ever says Jim Kelly wasn't an elite QB for losing 4 straight superbowls or even Dan Marino for that matter who went to one and lost it. As of right now even with his 2 superbowls wins many people believe Eli doesn't quite measure up to Marino and really all Marino has is his regular season stats, no superbowl wins just 1 appearance and im guessing more playoff losses than wins but we can check that.

And let's not forget how Eli just throws the ball up for grabs to avoid getting hit which is something a NFL QB is not supposed to do

And let's not forget how Eli just throws the ball up for grabs to avoid getting hit which is something a NFL QB is not supposed to do

I forget which coach said it of the pass, "When you pass, one of three things will happen. And two of them are bad."

There is always a risk when you pass. Taking a sack and losing yards is not very productive either. As we have discussed, the first SB Eli won, you have dismissed because of a play that most people consider an amazing clutch play under serious pressure.

:smiliehug:

Let's not forget it was a beautiful pass, right on the money where only Tyree could catch it

Well lets look at the context of the argument. Everyone keeps talking about how he won 2 superbowls but not really looking at what else would make him an elite QB. Just to clarify now I zm in no way saying that winning 2 superbowls doesn't boost your legacy but there can be a few arguments as to why Eli is or isn't considered an Elite QB. First his regular season stats are very up and down he has no consistency......he is either very good or mediocre and that isn't what you really want from him. Missing the playoffs is a huge deal. With the way he plays in the Playoffs you would want him to make it every year which is hard to do but that's what his brother and Brady does. Secondly no one ever says Jim Kelly wasn't an elite QB for losing 4 straight superbowls or even Dan Marino for that matter who went to one and lost it. As of right now even with his 2 superbowls wins many people believe Eli doesn't quite measure up to Marino and really all Marino has is his regular season stats, no superbowl wins just 1 appearance and im guessing more playoff losses than wins but we can check that.[/quote

I forget which coach said it of the pass, "When you pass, one of three things will happen. And two of them are bad."

There is always a risk when you pass. Taking a sack and losing yards is not very productive either. As we have discussed, the first SB Eli won, you have dismissed because of a play that most people consider an amazing clutch play under serious pressure.

I always thought it was better to take the sack rather than a pass to avoid getting hit and it's intercepted. So what;s better to you

a sack with lost yardage and another opportunity to score?
a interception and not another opportunity to score?

I always thought it was better to take the sack rather than a pass to avoid getting hit and it's intercepted. So what;s better to you

Obviously a turnover is worse, in most instances. If it is 4th down and the pass has some distance, the turnover is better.

Also, the receiver/defender matchup counts. An iffy defender and a solid receiver gives you better odds that your man comes down with the ball.

But when you have just over a minute left in the game and it is 3rd & 5, go for it.

Obviously a turnover is worse, in most instances. If it is 4th down and the pass has some distance, the turnover is better.

Also, the receiver/defender matchup counts. An iffy defender and a solid receiver gives you better odds that your man comes down with the ball.

But when you have just over a minute left in the game and it is 3rd & 5, go for it.

What you guys are talking about has nothing to do with Eli being elite or not. Do you guys consider him an elite QB during the regular season or are there other QBs that you think are better than him during the season and he is just one of those guys that can play better if he gets to the playoffs?

What you guys are talking about has nothing to do with Eli being elite or not. Do you guys consider him an elite QB during the regular season or are there other QBs that you think are better than him during the season and he is just one of those guys that can play better if he gets to the playoffs?

I think he is better than average. And I think what fbj is claiming is that Eli Manning is not up to average. I haven't seen anyone say "elite" about him.

Last edited:

There are like 12 QB's better than Eli and Romo is one of them

Manning has been playing in the NFL for 1 year less than Romo, and has almost 6k more yards passing. Romo's QB rating is higher though.

We could have a whole other thread on Romo
It would go on much longer than this one

Romo is a better QB than Eli for three quarters

Last edited:

We could have a whole other thread on Romo
It would go on much longer than this one

Romo is a better QB than Eli for three quarters

A lot of the problem with this entire topic is that is does not take the rest of the team into account. For a QB that means the O line, the ability of the receivers to catch, and other factors.

I think he is better than average. And I think what fbj is claiming is that Eli Manning is not up to average. I haven't seen anyone say "elite" about him.

Fair statement......me personally I believe he is just average only for the simple fact that you never know what you are going to get from him in the regular season. His playoff numbers are fantastic but he has to get there first and there has been many seasons when he just couldn't get the Giants into the playoffs. But by no means am I taking away his good seasons when he does play well. I just think his good years don't outweigh his bad years at least right now.

Forum List

Back