CDZ Why I support Universal healthcare, and why I don't.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I run a small company with 8 employees. I make enough money to support Bonzi and I comfortably. I haven't worried about paying bills for decades. If I/we want something enough, we buy it. Our retirement is secure because I made it that way. Bonzi doesn't need to work for financial reasons... she only needs to work so we have healthcare insurance. For 2 people in their 50s... decent healthcare insurance is astronomical. Thank you Obamacare for raising insurance costs to the moon for those needing ACTUAL insurance and not just a plastic card that pretends to be insurance so you can donate money to the government.

ACTUAL health insurance that doesn't have ENORMOUS out-of-pocket costs, so high in fact... it is highly unlikely you will ever get a single penny of benefits.
REAL insurance with REAL coverage would cost us about $1600 a month. (I define REAL as one with less than $2000 deductible, otherwise you have something pretending to be healthcare coverage, when in reality it is catastrophic care only - another gift from Obamacare)
Through Bonzi's job it costs us a little over $500/mo. for the premium care that has a deductible of $2500.

So for those reasons I wish we had Universal Care... so we could have coverage without having to have a full time job to get it. Especially when we get to age 60 or so... at that point we have enough liquid assets to quit full time jobs and work when we want. But cannot do so, because health insurance is prohibitively expensive.

Why I DON'T SUPPORT UHC.... because it is the federal government.
And the American federal government is wholly corrupt, inept, wasteful and the needs of the population are a very-very distant 2nd to special interest, globalism and corporatism. As we saw with Obamacare... the government, even when liberals are the ones that did it, gave more thought to protecting Pharma, insurance conglomerates and the $40 Billion medical device industry so so so much more than what people needed.
I simply do not believe the American corrupt system can do the job without fucking us over and over while gifting corporations and special interest.

Sometimes I really do think about becoming an ex-Pat.

The various scandals I have witnessed at the government run VA is enough for me to oppose UHC.

No where to run and no one to run to for help when health care screws you over,...…………………... not if, WHEN!

What about the humongous cost to UHC? Look at the taxes you gotta pay in those countries that have it, and it ain't just the rich and well-off that pay higher taxes. EVERYBODY pays A LOT if they have an income, and I believe in most of those places they have a consumption tax on top of a heavy tax burden. And it ain't free either, you have co-pays for a lot of the medical services you use.

Then there's an access problem, with as many people as we have relative to the the number of providers and facilities, people are gonna have to wait for quite awhile sometimes for care. And when you put in price controls you reduce the compensation to providers, thereby making those fields of endeavor less attractive. IOW, fewer doctors and nurses down the road. How many rural clinics and hospital would have to close?

Then there's the question of innovation for drugs and treatments. What happens when you try to reduce the costs? You end up with less money going into R&D, it's costs money to develop and test new drugs and treatments; if it isn't deemed cost effective then we won't get nearly as many medical advances. You think the ret of the world will pic up the slack? Dream on.

I can see huge problems with fraud, waste, and abuse. Big money attracts big crooks in large numbers. The truth is that the gov't sucks at everything it tries to do, even if well intentioned. There are reasons why the VA system sucks, and UHC failed in Vermont, and other states like Colorado and California looked at it and decided not to try it.

I run a small company with 8 employees. I make enough money to support Bonzi and I comfortably. I haven't worried about paying bills for decades. If I/we want something enough, we buy it. Our retirement is secure because I made it that way. Bonzi doesn't need to work for financial reasons... she only needs to work so we have healthcare insurance. For 2 people in their 50s... decent healthcare insurance is astronomical. Thank you Obamacare for raising insurance costs to the moon for those needing ACTUAL insurance and not just a plastic card that pretends to be insurance so you can donate money to the government.

ACTUAL health insurance that doesn't have ENORMOUS out-of-pocket costs, so high in fact... it is highly unlikely you will ever get a single penny of benefits.
REAL insurance with REAL coverage would cost us about $1600 a month. (I define REAL as one with less than $2000 deductible, otherwise you have something pretending to be healthcare coverage, when in reality it is catastrophic care only - another gift from Obamacare)
Through Bonzi's job it costs us a little over $500/mo. for the premium care that has a deductible of $2500.

So for those reasons I wish we had Universal Care... so we could have coverage without having to have a full time job to get it. Especially when we get to age 60 or so... at that point we have enough liquid assets to quit full time jobs and work when we want. But cannot do so, because health insurance is prohibitively expensive.

And the American federal government is wholly corrupt, inept, wasteful and the needs of the population are a very-very distant 2nd to special interest, globalism and corporatism. As we saw with Obamacare... the government, even when liberals are the ones that did it, gave more thought to protecting Pharma, insurance conglomerates and the $40 Billion medical device industry so so so much more than what people needed.
I simply do not believe the American corrupt system can do the job without fucking us over and over while gifting corporations and special interest.

And we all collectively are paying way more than we should. We pay out of our paycheck, our employer pays and then we have deductables and copays.

We could pay less and cover everyone but that wouldn’t maximize profits for the insurance and big pharma companies.

So they’ll start the fear campaign. Will you be able to keep your doctor? Who cares?

You will have to wait to get your procedure done. We wait now.

Universal coverage can also include public/private partnerships, such as our current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage program, which could be tweaked to work for all Americans. It would also be individual and portable, include dynamic choice, free market competition and innovation, and take a massive cost monkey off the backs of American employers.

Right now, we have SIX (6) different healthcare delivery/payment systems, none of which communicates directly with the others:
  1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
I wonder how many people really think that's a smart "system".

And we all collectively are paying way more than we should. We pay out of our paycheck, our employer pays and then we have deductables and copays.

We could pay less and cover everyone but that wouldn’t maximize profits for the insurance and big pharma companies.

So they’ll start the fear campaign. Will you be able to keep your doctor? Who cares?

Ideally.
But again... we are talking about it being written/designed by wholly corrupt, inept truly vile people. So your point is taken, but unfortunately unrealistic due to corruption

Ideally.
But again... we are talking about it being written/designed by wholly corrupt, inept truly vile people. So your point is taken, but unfortunately unrealistic due to corruption
I just saw a post on instagram

Number of people who lost health coverage since Covid

USA 15 million
Canada 0
Australia zero
Belgium 0
German 0
etc.

Universal coverage can also include public/private partnerships, such as our current Medicare / Medicare Supplement / Medicare Advantage program, which could be tweaked to work for all Americans. It would also be individual and portable, include dynamic choice, free market competition and innovation, and take a massive cost monkey off the backs of American employers.

Right now, we have SIX (6) different healthcare delivery/payment systems, none of which communicates directly with the others:
  1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.
When my father passed away with brain cancer 3 years ago this month.... I truly got a glimpse at just how bad medicare is.
At one point, and more than once... he was lying in the emergency room in extreme pain but not getting medication because of Medicare's archaic and unmerciful policies between Medicare and Hospice care. It is a fucking, vile evil set up.
I hope you and yours do not have to experience it.
And then after my father passed away, it left his wife... my mother... buried in red tape that you need a lawyer to figure out.
It is impersonal, uncaring and without care about what people are going through.
It shouldn't be called Medicare... it should be called Medifuckyou if you get terminally ill

Ideally.
No. Your assumption is complete Bull Shit. Look at the numbers dude.

catastrophic care only
Whats wrong with that?

you pay for the little stuff while insurance protects you from losing all you assets from a serious illness
Great if you have no health conditions. But what if you do? ..... sucks to be you.
I have two conditions that require approx. $15,000/yr in costs. I do NOT want to have to pay $7500 a year or more, and shouldn't have to.
Our nation has the wealth to prevent people from having to do that.

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.
When my father passed away with brain cancer 3 years ago this month.... I truly got a glimpse at just how bad medicare is.
At one point, and more than once... he was lying in the emergency room in extreme pain but not getting medication because of Medicare's archaic and unmerciful policies between Medicare and Hospice care. It is a fucking, vile evil set up.
And then after my father passed away, it left his wife... my mother... buried in red tape that you need a lawyer to figure out.
It is impersonal, uncaring and without care about what people are going through.
It shouldn't be called Medicare... it should be called Medifuckyou if you get terminally ill
If you ran a business and had to pay $100,000 Give or take $20,000, youd look for ways to save money.

Hospice used to not be so cheap with the morphine. I agree this needs to change.

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.
It's very popular. It's not perfect.

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.

What was Medicare's archaic and unmerciful policies that prevented him from receiving meds for pain?

You need a better agent. Obamacare lowered my costs for my disabled son by over two thirds.

catastrophic care only
Whats wrong with that?

you pay for the little stuff while insurance protects you from losing all you assets from a serious illness
Great if you have no health conditions. But what if you do? ..... sucks to be you.
I have two conditions that require approx. $15,000/yr in costs. I do NOT want to have to pay $7500 a year or more, and shouldn't have to.
Our nation has the wealth to prevent people from having to do that.
This is what insurance is for. We all pay a little and when something bad happens to one of us, they are covered.

Insuance companies give bigger companies better rates because they have bigger risk pools, right? Well let’s just put all Americans into one pool and spread the risk out among all of us.

The people who are healthy and don’t use it can’t complain. That’s just selfish and ignorant.

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.

What was Medicare's archaic and unmerciful policies that prevented him from receiving meds for pain?
Cheapness. We went through it with my mom. Is it worse when the person is put into hospice? It shouldn’t be. If you have to give up Medicare to get hospice, that shouldn’t be a downgrade it should be an upgrade. And give them enough morphine that it will kill them. Stop the needless suffering

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.

So actually, his beef isn’t with Medicare, it’s with hospice.

Ask him who MEDPAC is and why in 2019 did they call for a 20% cut to hospice. Thats why we suffer when we die. Cheap!

1. Medicare
  2. Medicaid
  3. VA
  4. Group
  5. Individual
  6. Indigent
Medicare is God awful.
If you ran a business and had to pay $100,000 Give or take $20,000, youd look for ways to save money.

Hospice used to not be so cheap with the morphine. I agree this needs to change.
It is not Hospice care that is the problem, when you are under Home hospice care,,, they are actually extremely helpful, caring and also extremely responsive and bring you what you need right away.... like now. And it is all paid for. Everything.
The problem is you cannot be under Hospice care and receive any other care if that care is defined as life sustaining. But the problem is, as you are dying many times in order to get relief from a symptom you need to get a treatment that happens to also be a life sustaining treatment.
For instance, my father loss the ability to swallow properly, it was difficult for him to drink proper amounts of liquid. So he would get dehydrated. Which brings upon a series of problems when you are seriously ill. Hospice will not cover going into the hospital. Only a nursing home. But he didn't need to go to a nursing home, what he needed was to to a hospital and get IV's and electrolytes/intravenous vitamins to get back to being able to be comfortable. Hospice will not pay for that, and neither will medicare if you are under hospice. So you end up constantly signing on and off, on and off of hospice. Which is a bureaucratic nightmare... back and forth...back and forth. My mother would sit there and cry, seeing her husband suffer while it would take hours to get through the paperwork and people necessary to sign off.
And the ONLY reason it is this way is to save money. And our government designed it that way.

Forum List

Back