Why has American society devalued engineering?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
The roads and bridges are falling apart. The power grids are falling. No one dreams of becoming a scientist, engineer, or astronaut anymore.

We used to dream big!
Two-Trips.jpg

usborne-future-4.jpg

19hbkm8qaqzjsjpg.jpg

What happened to us? Why are we afraid of getting our hands dirty? Why have we lost our adventurous side?

Well our billionaires certainly have a fascination with space, and I assume they have hired a few engineers to get them where they have been. Part of the reason a lot of the stuff is "falling apart" is because we do things on the comparative cheap. Our road beds are not nearly as deep as they could be so they need to be paved more often. Our bridges aren't falling apart due to lack of engineering. It is due to lack of rust busting and repainting.

Well our billionaires certainly have a fascination with space, and I assume they have hired a few engineers to get them where they have been. Part of the reason a lot of the stuff is "falling apart" is because we do things on the comparative cheap. Our road beds are not nearly as deep as they could be so they need to be paved more often. Our bridges aren't falling apart due to lack of engineering. It is due to lack of rust busting and repainting.
Shit is falling apart because it is OLD. 27% of our bridges were built before 1971. Our interstate highway system is from the 1960's. Our electrical grid was established in the 1970's.

The roads and bridges are falling apart. The power grids are falling. No one dreams of becoming a scientist, engineer, or astronaut anymore.

We used to dream big!

What happened to us? Why are we afraid of getting our hands dirty? Why have we lost our adventurous side?
This country had become a country of the uneducated and uninformed. You can't discuss things based on math or science, because so few people understand math and science. With the US ranked 25th (last I checked) in math and science.

This country had become a country of the uneducated and uninformed. You can't discuss things based on math or science, because so few people understand math and science. With the US ranked 25th (last I checked) in math and science.
One of my daughters is going to be an engineer at NASA. She told me that the professors dont know what they are doing and dont take time to explain the shit they teach so everyone cheats to get good grades.

Shit is falling apart because it is OLD. 27% of our bridges were built before 1971. Our interstate highway system is from the 1960's. Our electrical grid was established in the 1970's.
It's not the age, but the lack of maintenance and upgrading.

The iconic Brooklyn bridge is 150 years old.
The Golden Gate bridge is 88.

It's not the age, but the lack of maintenance and upgrading.

The iconic Brooklyn bridge is 150 years old.
The Golden Gate bridge is 88.
BAM Gene! Right there hulkster. Totally agree. I thought that would carry across based upon his 'shitty engineering' point.

One of my daughters is going to be an engineer at NASA. She told me that the professors dont know what they are doing and dont take time to explain the shit they teach so everyone cheats to get good grades.

That goes toward my point that the emphasis is on grades (passing tests) and not on actual learning.

Because we as a country have no intention of doing anything that doesn't absolutely have to be done. We pay hundreds of billions for welfare.

Everything else is a can kicked down the road for someone else to deal with.
Screenshot_20210730-221520.png

That is very disheartening. I graduated with in Electrical Engineering and there was only one guy that I remember in 4 years that cheated. He would put 20 dollar bills in his test booklets. He was gone by sophomore year. I guess things have changed.

That is very disheartening. I graduated with in Electrical Engineering and there was only one guy that I remember in 4 years that cheated. He would put 20 dollar bills in his test booklets. He was gone by sophomore year. I guess things have changed.
My advice to my daughter was do what you need to do but make sure you understand the concepts because there isnt any place to hide in the real world.

Forum List

Back