What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why has American society devalued engineering?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Reaction score
The roads and bridges are falling apart. The power grids are falling. No one dreams of becoming a scientist, engineer, or astronaut anymore.

We used to dream big!
Two-Trips.jpg

usborne-future-4.jpg

19hbkm8qaqzjsjpg.jpg

What happened to us? Why are we afraid of getting our hands dirty? Why have we lost our adventurous side?

Dekster

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well our billionaires certainly have a fascination with space, and I assume they have hired a few engineers to get them where they have been. Part of the reason a lot of the stuff is "falling apart" is because we do things on the comparative cheap. Our road beds are not nearly as deep as they could be so they need to be paved more often. Our bridges aren't falling apart due to lack of engineering. It is due to lack of rust busting and repainting.

Gabe Lackmann

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well our billionaires certainly have a fascination with space, and I assume they have hired a few engineers to get them where they have been. Part of the reason a lot of the stuff is "falling apart" is because we do things on the comparative cheap. Our road beds are not nearly as deep as they could be so they need to be paved more often. Our bridges aren't falling apart due to lack of engineering. It is due to lack of rust busting and repainting.
Shit is falling apart because it is OLD. 27% of our bridges were built before 1971. Our interstate highway system is from the 1960's. Our electrical grid was established in the 1970's.

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Schools have emphasized grades/tests over learning. Everything is taught in a rush and kids are turned off

meaner gene

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The roads and bridges are falling apart. The power grids are falling. No one dreams of becoming a scientist, engineer, or astronaut anymore.

We used to dream big!

What happened to us? Why are we afraid of getting our hands dirty? Why have we lost our adventurous side?
This country had become a country of the uneducated and uninformed. You can't discuss things based on math or science, because so few people understand math and science. With the US ranked 25th (last I checked) in math and science.

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
This country had become a country of the uneducated and uninformed. You can't discuss things based on math or science, because so few people understand math and science. With the US ranked 25th (last I checked) in math and science.
One of my daughters is going to be an engineer at NASA. She told me that the professors dont know what they are doing and dont take time to explain the shit they teach so everyone cheats to get good grades.

meaner gene

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shit is falling apart because it is OLD. 27% of our bridges were built before 1971. Our interstate highway system is from the 1960's. Our electrical grid was established in the 1970's.
It's not the age, but the lack of maintenance and upgrading.

The iconic Brooklyn bridge is 150 years old.
The Golden Gate bridge is 88.

Quasar44

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engineers are vastly underpaid !!
Many rather go to medical school or Computer IT

Quasar44

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The avg engineer makes a measly 100,000

Gabe Lackmann

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It's not the age, but the lack of maintenance and upgrading.

The iconic Brooklyn bridge is 150 years old.
The Golden Gate bridge is 88.
BAM Gene! Right there hulkster. Totally agree. I thought that would carry across based upon his 'shitty engineering' point.

meaner gene

Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of my daughters is going to be an engineer at NASA. She told me that the professors dont know what they are doing and dont take time to explain the shit they teach so everyone cheats to get good grades.

That goes toward my point that the emphasis is on grades (passing tests) and not on actual learning.

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Actually they have a problem teaching kids to truly understand, instead they teach them to pass the tests.
Agreed. Thats what it was when my kids were in high school. Pissed me off. Now they give them shit on the tests they didnt go over in lecture.

Missourian

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Because we as a country have no intention of doing anything that doesn't absolutely have to be done. We pay hundreds of billions for welfare.

Everything else is a can kicked down the road for someone else to deal with.
Screenshot_20210730-221520.png

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Because we as a country have no intention of doing anything that doesn't absolutely have to be done. We pay hundreds of billions for welfare.

Everything else is a can kicked down the road for someone else to deal with.
Meanwhile repubs try to fuck up the infrastructure plans Biden has.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That is very disheartening. I graduated with in Electrical Engineering and there was only one guy that I remember in 4 years that cheated. He would put 20 dollar bills in his test booklets. He was gone by sophomore year. I guess things have changed.

Missourian

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile repubs try to fuck up the infrastructure plans Biden has.
... After democrats fucked up the infrastructure plans Trump had...

Pot...meet kettle...

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That is very disheartening. I graduated with in Electrical Engineering and there was only one guy that I remember in 4 years that cheated. He would put 20 dollar bills in his test booklets. He was gone by sophomore year. I guess things have changed.
My advice to my daughter was do what you need to do but make sure you understand the concepts because there isnt any place to hide in the real world.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$191.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List