Why Government is Evil

most people are mostly good.

If we only elect good people then problem solved.

Much better than jsut allowing anyone with enough money to control your life.

Re: OP

That is why our government is a system of checks and balances and regulatory agencies. Without those divisions your premise would make more sense, as it is entrenched interests that are always tearing at the structure of gov for they like to play outside the rules or simply to break the rules. It is why since FDR big business and corporate power has invested so much money in think tanks and media that castigates government and it is why an educated polity is essential in a constitutional republic. Your premise would have some validity if you argued that those who destroyed the regulatory agencies and the checks and balances were the culprits. Gov is an working abstraction and is dependent on a populace that agrees to its central ideas. Some want it destroyed for their own narrow reasons.

"Of all forms of government and society, those of free men and women are in many respects the most brittle. They give the fullest freedom for activities of private persons and groups who often identify their own interests, essentially selfish, with the general welfare." Dorothy Thompson

"Governments provide a stable currency to make markets possible. They provide a legal infrastructure and court systems to enforce the contracts that make markets possible. They provide educated workforces through public education, and those workers show up at their places of business after traveling on public roads, rails, or airways provided by government. Businesses that use the "free market" are protected by police and fire departments provided by government, and send their communications - from phone to fax to internet - over lines that follow public rights-of-way maintained and protected by government.

And, most important, the rules of the game of business are defined by government. Any sports fan can tell you that football, baseball, or hockey without rules and referees would be a mess. Similarly, business without rules won't work.

Which explains why conservative economics wiped out the middle class during the period from 1880 to 1932, and why, when Reagan again began applying conservative economics, the middle class again began to vanish in America in the 1980s - a process that has dramatically picked up steam under George W. Bush.

The conservative mantra is "let the market decide." But there is no market independent of government, so what they're really saying is, "Stop corporations from defending workers and building a middle class, and let the corporations decide how much to pay for labor and how to trade." This is, at best, destructive to national and international economies, and, at worst, destructive to democracy itself. "

"The middle class is a new invention of liberal democracies, the direct result of governments defining the rules of the game of business. It is, quite simply, an artifact of government regulation of markets and tax laws." Thom Hartmann

Democracy - Not "The Free Market" - Will Save America's Middle Class

Electing "Good" People doesn't solve the Problem.. anybody can play that game.. You realize Politicians are Politicians.. Most of the time they care only on their Agenda.. So much for the "For The People".. And very rarely, there are the ones who actually Care about the people..

--

Like I said before... I'd take a Greedy Corporation over a Greedy Government" Any day..

You do realize Greedy Government has more influence into your life than a Greedy Corporation?

What is your Alternative?

By this logic, police are also evil.

No more than anyone else but what makes them more tempted to do evil is the fact they have unchecked authority because of their position in the government. A security gaurd tends to be much wimpier because they knew they can't get away with to much so they tend to me much nicer than actual police officers.

Why do think that a police officer is somehow morally different than anyone else?

Re: OP

That is why our government is a system of checks and balances and regulatory agencies. Without those divisions your premise would make more sense, as it is entrenched interests that are always tearing at the structure of gov for they like to play outside the rules or simply to break the rules. It is why since FDR big business and corporate power has invested so much money in think tanks and media that castigates government and it is why an educated polity is essential in a constitutional republic. Your premise would have some validity if you argued that those who destroyed the regulatory agencies and the checks and balances were the culprits. Gov is an working abstraction and is dependent on a populace that agrees to its central ideas. Some want it destroyed for their own narrow reasons.

"Of all forms of government and society, those of free men and women are in many respects the most brittle. They give the fullest freedom for activities of private persons and groups who often identify their own interests, essentially selfish, with the general welfare." Dorothy Thompson

"Governments provide a stable currency to make markets possible. They provide a legal infrastructure and court systems to enforce the contracts that make markets possible. They provide educated workforces through public education, and those workers show up at their places of business after traveling on public roads, rails, or airways provided by government. Businesses that use the "free market" are protected by police and fire departments provided by government, and send their communications - from phone to fax to internet - over lines that follow public rights-of-way maintained and protected by government.

And, most important, the rules of the game of business are defined by government. Any sports fan can tell you that football, baseball, or hockey without rules and referees would be a mess. Similarly, business without rules won't work.

Which explains why conservative economics wiped out the middle class during the period from 1880 to 1932, and why, when Reagan again began applying conservative economics, the middle class again began to vanish in America in the 1980s - a process that has dramatically picked up steam under George W. Bush.

The conservative mantra is "let the market decide." But there is no market independent of government, so what they're really saying is, "Stop corporations from defending workers and building a middle class, and let the corporations decide how much to pay for labor and how to trade." This is, at best, destructive to national and international economies, and, at worst, destructive to democracy itself. "

"The middle class is a new invention of liberal democracies, the direct result of governments defining the rules of the game of business. It is, quite simply, an artifact of government regulation of markets and tax laws." Thom Hartmann

Democracy - Not "The Free Market" - Will Save America's Middle Class

Its not a matter of orchastrating the desired result such as a wide middle class but free will. Freedom does not get a desired collective result since each person can choose their own goal and obtain their own result which could be different than his neighbors. We could have 300 million opposite results since each person is allowed to choose their own path and goals in life.

The argument that freedom causes this negative result and therefore should eliminated won't fly with me anymore.

This happens?

go study economic history , without regulation all markets grow monopolys.

What is so wrong with monopolies if they just got that way because they beat the shit out of their competitors? In a free market any monopoly will always have a competitor that springs up so monopolies really can't exist for to long.

what you want is anarchy.

This is a democracy.

You need to move

There is two kinds of anarchy. One where there is no government and roaming mobs rob us of our freedom and compell us into their religion, steal our property, and take our life. The other is when government, through majority rule, does the same thing.

I prefer to have a government that protects me from the mob and not one that acts as its agent.

This is a democracy.

You need to move

There is two kinds of anarchy. One where there is no government and roaming mobs rob us of our freedom and compell us into their religion, steal our property, and take our life. The other is when government, through majority rule, does the same thing.

I prefer to have a government that protects me from the mob and not one that acts as its agent.

What you want is no rules.

That is not democracy.

In a democracy we vote on what we want to do with government.

What You want you will never find in this country.

Try Somalia

This is a democracy.

You need to move

What yo want is not rules.

That is not democracy.

In a democracy we vote on what we want to do with government.

What You want you will never find in this country.

Try Somalia

I want rules but rules the protect me from others not ones the decide what I should do.

Forum List

Back