Why don’t republicans seem to understand the consequences of tax cuts?

Common Sense being "sovereign issuer as household/balanced budget" claptrap, I assume...
One of the cautions that Sowell spoke of were those who sought to replace common sense with theory, 5th. He was a Marxist coming out of college and learned first hand at his first job after graduating that Marxism didn't work. The "claptrap" that you speak of was what made Sowell think that Marxism WOULD work in the real world!

I did. About $108 billion for ARRA and $700 billion for TARP.
And who signed TARP?

But, more importantly, can you now reconcile that with the Fed outlays number for FY2009?
One of the cautions that Sowell spoke of were those who sought to replace common sense with theory, 5th. He was a Marxist coming out of college and learned first hand at his first job after graduating that Marxism didn't work. The "claptrap" that you speak of was what made Sowell think that Marxism WOULD work in the real world!

Like Feodor Dostoevsky and Irving Kristol.

Zzzzzz.

They were stridently correct in their youth, and just as strident after "seeing the light"...

I see two common elements....Stridency and Eager Credulity.

What pray tell have you read?
He has been a "commentator" for decades, featured in the Usual Places....it's been a steady downward ride from WSJ through NYPost to The Forward, or wherever his agent is finding a check at the moment.

It’s a pretty basic concept. If spending is not adequately cut and taxes are cut (something republicans do), this means that there is less revenue to pay for spending. If bewilders me how republicans think you can cut taxes and think it doesn’t have consequences. We know it has consequences because the deficit blew up under Trump.

Oh and news flash: trickle down economics is not a real thing. Why would corporations bother investing in labor when it is easier for them to just keep the huge amount of money they save from tax cuts? After all their profits are already at an all time high.

Please share that with the CBO..
TrumpTaxcutsaffect120722.png

Taxcutsincreaserev122522.png

I don’t dispute these numbers. The problem is your premise. Dollar amount is not how you measure the value of revenue. Dollar amounts are going to go up each year regardless of legislation. The only way to accurately measure revenue is by computing it as a percentage of GDP. Under Trump that ratio percentage was 16%. Now it’s like 21%.

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

• The tax-to-GDP ratio is a measure of a nation's tax revenue relative to the size of its economy.
  • This ratio is used with other metrics to determine how well a nation's government directs its economic resources via taxation.
  • Developed nations typically have higher tax-to-GDP ratios than developing nations.
  • Higher tax revenues mean a country is able to spend more on improving infrastructure, health, and education—keys to the long-term prospects for a country’s economy and people.
  • According to the World Bank, tax revenues above 15% of a country’s gross domestic product (GDP) are a key ingredient for economic growt

And who signed TARP?

But, more importantly, can you now reconcile that with the Fed outlays number for FY2009?

Like Feodor Dostoevsky and Irving Kristol.

Zzzzzz.

They were stridently correct in their youth, and just as strident after "seeing the light"...

I see two common elements....Stridency and Eager Credulity.

And who signed TARP?

Bush signed it. It only needed to be spent once, right?

We didn't need $700 billion for TARP every year after that.

Can you? What was Obama's starting point for his 1.8% spending increases?

I don’t dispute these numbers. The problem is your premise. Dollar amount is not how you measure the value of revenue. Dollar amounts are going to go up each year regardless of legislation. The only way to accurately measure revenue is by computing it as a percentage of GDP. Under Trump that ratio percentage was 16%. Now it’s like 21%.

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

• The tax-to-GDP ratio is a measure of a nation's tax revenue relative to the size of its economy.
  • This ratio is used with other metrics to determine how well a nation's government directs its economic resources via taxation.
  • Developed nations typically have higher tax-to-GDP ratios than developing nations.
  • Higher tax revenues mean a country is able to spend more on improving infrastructure, health, and education—keys to the long-term prospects for a country’s economy and people.
  • According to the World Bank, tax revenues above 15% of a country’s gross domestic product (GDP) are a key ingredient for economic growt

Dollar amount is not how you measure the value of revenue.

Real Dollar amount is how you measure the value of revenue.

And who signed TARP?

Bush signed it. It only needed to be spent once, right?

We didn't need $700 billion for TARP every year after that.

Can you? What was Obama's starting point for his 1.8% spending increases?
Focus, Todd.

Start by posting the outlays for FY2009.

Dollar amount is not how you measure the value of revenue.

Real Dollar amount is how you measure the value of revenue.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. Still. That’s still true. Let me ask you this. If you think those dollar amounts accurately reflect the value of revenue, that means the value of revenue is not going UP. You do get that right? On the one hand you’re trying to say that revenue goes up every year, but on the other you’re saying the dollar amount reflects the true value of the revenue. That would just mean it is stagnant.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Still. That’s still true. Let me ask you this. If you think those dollar amounts accurately reflect the value of revenue, that means the value of revenue is not going UP. You do get that right? On the one hand you’re trying to say that revenue goes up every year, but on the other you’re saying the dollar amount reflects the true value of the revenue. That would just mean it is stagnant.

Your revenue in year 1 is $100.
Inflation is 4%.
Revenue in year 2 is $104.
Your revenue is unchanged, in real (inflation adjusted) dollars.

Forum List

Back