Why does the state celebrate Christmas?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
In an era of separation of church and state, why on earth are those in Washington celebrating a holiday with the term "Christ" in it?

In fact, why do we get the day off as well?

Because separation of church and state is a catch phrase for the far left, it is not something they believe in, it is just another tool for them to gain and remain in power.

Another catch phrase of the far left does not truly believe in is Freedom of choice.

Go ask the Easter Bunny, he will tell you that a day off or a brightly lit tree is not a religious observance.

In an era of separation of church and state, why on earth are those in Washington celebrating a holiday with the term "Christ" in it?

I am happy with any day that the tax leeches are not at their desks. Too bad it isn't 24/7/365

Because it was never the Framers’ intent to remove religion from government altogether; there are times when religion is appropriate in government and times when it is not.

Religion in government is appropriate when it seeks a secular purpose, when it does not promote religion, and when it does not manifest an excessive entanglement with government.

“In god we trust” on currency is appropriate, requiring one to be a Christian to apply for a government job is not. Military chaplains are appropriate, public school teachers leading students in prayer is not.

Citizens are at liberty to express religious themes in the context of government provided they are aware of Establishment Clause jurisprudence and abide by its requirements and restrictions.

1. Many don't get the day off

2. While it is called Christmas, it's become quite secular. It may have the word "christ" in it...but not everyone who celebrates believes in a christ...just like not every one who celebrates goes to "mas".

All I know is that we are celebrating a holiday called "Christmas". Can anyone here imagine celebrating a holiday called "Satanmass"? The least they could do is rename it.

I've even come up with a new Santa.

$marx.jpg

See, he even has the long white beard. We can call it "Marxmass". It even has a ring to it. We can tell the children that soon goods will be redistributed equally for everyone!!

Of course, the holiday will be a downer for the rich kids, but over time there will be less and less of them to complain.

Go ask the Easter Bunny, he will tell you that a day off or a brightly lit tree is not a religious observance.

Says the one that believes that unicorns poop rainbows.
:confused: Do you really want to compare screwed-up belief systems here?

Are you finally admitting that the far left belief system is screwed up?

Would you be willing to testify in open court to that effect?

If so will you swear to tell the truth so help you God as you place your right hand on the bible?

Christmas was declared a Federal Holiday in 1870 by US Grant and codified in the Federal Statutes.

Yes, but they even allowed prayer in schools back then, a clear violation of church and state.

Come to think of it, why do we have weekends? Doesn't the weekend have its roots in Mosaic law concerning the Sabbath? This is akin to putting the Ten Commandments in the court room, another clear violation of church and state.

I say the only answer is to work 24/7, like it was before the Mosaic law came to be.

Show me one atheist who says: "I don't believe in God hence in Christmas therefore I will continue to work during the so-called Christmas Holidays". Ya right.

Putting all religious connotations aside, TRADITION.

If you have issues with government-sanctioned holiday of Christmas, you must also have problems with Thanksgiving or Good Friday and Easter.

Or, for that matter, with the TRADITION of Valentine's Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, President's Day etc. time honored customs, which can be opposed only by the professional nay-sayers and complainers.

A TRADITION indicates lasting values, worthy to be established and honored.

Christmas was declared a Federal Holiday in 1870 by US Grant and codified in the Federal Statutes.

Yes, but they even allowed prayer in schools back then, a clear violation of church and state.

Come to think of it, why do we have weekends? Doesn't the weekend have its roots in Mosaic law concerning the Sabbath? This is akin to putting the Ten Commandments in the court room, another clear violation of church and state.

I say the only answer is to work 24/7, like it was before the Mosaic law came to be.

There is no body language and facial expressions to be read on an internet forum, so I am not exactly 100% sure, but I think you are attempting to be a little bit sarcastic.

Correct me if I am wrong, or let me call you a troll.

First because it used to be the majority had a say in what happened.

Second you definitely don't know that there is no separation clause in the COTUS.

thirdly celebrating Christmas is an option, if you don't want off ask your employer if you can continue working on Christmas. It will make someone happy.

Fourth it is usually a negotiate holiday in Union contracts.

Forum List

Back