Why does the state celebrate Christmas?

Christmas was declared a Federal Holiday in 1870 by US Grant and codified in the Federal Statutes.

Yes, but they even allowed prayer in schools back then, a clear violation of church and state.

Come to think of it, why do we have weekends? Doesn't the weekend have its roots in Mosaic law concerning the Sabbath? This is akin to putting the Ten Commandments in the court room, another clear violation of church and state.

I say the only answer is to work 24/7, like it was before the Mosaic law came to be.

If it was based on Biblical law, wouldn't the weekend just be Saturday?

Or does the New Testament change it to Sunday or something? I know the Old Testament just says Friday night-Saturday.

Show me one atheist who says: "I don't believe in God hence in Christmas therefore I will continue to work during the so-called Christmas Holidays". Ya right.

Exactly.

I don't believe in the religious side of Christmas, but it's an absolutely wonderful excuse to get together with the family, give and get gifts, and eat some great holiday food. No one actually wants to work on Christmas.

In an era of separation of church and state, why on earth are those in Washington celebrating a holiday with the term "Christ" in it?

In fact, why do we get the day off as well?

Putting all religious connotations aside, TRADITION.

If you have issues with government-sanctioned holiday of Christmas, you must also have problems with Thanksgiving or Good Friday and Easter.

Or, for that matter, with the TRADITION of Valentine's Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, President's Day etc. time honored customs, which can be opposed only by the professional nay-sayers and complainers.

A TRADITION indicates lasting values, worthy to be established and honored.

Don't slide down that slippery slope.

Thanksgiving is definitely not a Christian-only holiday, and neither is your entire second list (except arguably Valentine's Day but no one celebrates the religion behind that any more anyways).
You can dislike Christmas and not dislike, say, Labor Day. It's very easy, in fact.

(On an off-topic note: Columbus was a terrible person and does not deserve to be celebrated.)

Show me one atheist who says: "I don't believe in God hence in Christmas therefore I will continue to work during the so-called Christmas Holidays". Ya right.

Exactly.

I don't believe in the religious side of Christmas, but it's an absolutely wonderful excuse to get together with the family, give and get gifts, and eat some great holiday food. No one actually wants to work on Christmas.

I do! I would take a pay CUT to work Christmas.

Forum List

Back