Why does the state celebrate Christmas?

In an era of separation of church and state, why on earth are those in Washington celebrating a holiday with the term "Christ" in it?

In fact, why do we get the day off as well?

Because separation of church and state is a made up term.

I think gov't employees should demand to work on all religious holidays in protest! Support the separation!

In an era of separation of church and state, why on earth are those in Washington celebrating a holiday with the term "Christ" in it?

Because it was never the Framers’ intent to remove religion from government altogether; there are times when religion is appropriate in government and times when it is not.

Religion in government is appropriate when it seeks a secular purpose, when it does not promote religion, and when it does not manifest an excessive entanglement with government.

“In god we trust” on currency is appropriate, requiring one to be a Christian to apply for a government job is not. Military chaplains are appropriate, public school teachers leading students in prayer is not.

Citizens are at liberty to express religious themes in the context of government provided they are aware of Establishment Clause jurisprudence and abide by its requirements and restrictions.

Good post! I tend to agree with your statement "public school teachers leading students in prayer is not" but that started the slippery slope. Students should be allowed to lead other students in prayer.

There have been dozens of times that school officials prohibited students from using God or Jesus in graduation exercises and other school events even though they were not even asking for participation from other students. That is where I draw the line.

If you mean stores like 7-11, no.

Can you....oh I don't know.....provide some more details? This does not make sense. The state cannot require everyone to be off on Christmas. How does the state go about picking and choosing which arbitrary types of jobs are prohibited from working on this day?

The same way they keep retailers from opening on Thanksgiving...the one-party legislature passes a law and the governor rubber-stamps it. This is NOT complicated.

The same way they keep retailers from opening on Thanksgiving...the one-party legislature passes a law and the governor rubber-stamps it. This is NOT complicated.

Does the law also require you to be a douche bag? Because that's what you're doing. If you're going to post, how about you actually say something, instead of purposely being vague. I'm pretty sure that you're purposely trying to give false impressions because you're clearly being intentionally imprecise and uninformative.

Blessed Children know was Christmas is all about but I pity the children of liberal parents because they have have lost their imagination and magic, they're simply automatons of government and special interest groups.

.... and of course they're frustrated that they can't figure out how to get someone else to pay for their childrens presents..

Ah yes.. to be liberal and and looking for a reason to be a selfish bastard at Christmas..

Good one.

It gives the leeches in Washington another reason for a paid vacation.:eusa_whistle:

Why don't you volunteer to work on all religous holidays? You are getting paid whether you work of not.

Christmas was declared a Federal Holiday in 1870 by US Grant and codified in the Federal Statutes.

Yes, but they even allowed prayer in schools back then, a clear violation of church and state.

Come to think of it, why do we have weekends? Doesn't the weekend have its roots in Mosaic law concerning the Sabbath? This is akin to putting the Ten Commandments in the court room, another clear violation of church and state.

I say the only answer is to work 24/7, like it was before the Mosaic law came to be.

Perhaps you should do something about this:

TEN COMMANDMENTS AT THE SUPREME COURT

Moses with Two Tablets on the East Face

Moses on the West Exterior Facade

Ten Commandments on Front Bronze Doors

Moses & Ten Commandments in Great Hall (8 times)

Ten Commandments on Wooden Interior Courtroom Doors

Why don't you volunteer to work on all religous holidays? You are getting paid whether you work of not.

The only religious observance that is actually a legal holiday IS, in fact, Christmas.

Because no one can resist a day off.

Forum List

Back