Why do libertarians aid, and abet Obama?

American4Americ

Doge of Venezia
Oct 22, 2013
America
Libertarians, and conservatives are essentially one and the same.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love the free market?

Do you hate Obama's tax and spend failonomics?

Do you despise abortion as the aberration it is?

Do you love capitalism?

Do you want to decrease the size of the federal government?

Do you believe in reasonably equal opportunity, instead of equal outcome?

If you agree with any of these, you should vote for GoP!

We do? Says who?

One other thing, you don't tell us how to vote. This is exactly why I am a libertarian. I don't like being told by the establishment who I'm required to vote for.

Last edited:
We do? Says who?

One other thing, you don't tell us how to vote. This is exactly why I am a libertarian. I don't like being told by the establishment who I'm required to vote for.

Note the word "should" not "must".

Narco-libertarians are actually closer to liberals than they are conservatives. Listen to them on foreign policy, if you can stomache it.
They are bedwetters and simps. Notice how the Dems managed to win by fronting a libertarian candidate in the VA race and siphoning off votes from the Republican.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Libertarians (true ones, at least) also oppose the insane drug laws. And the increasing militarization of local police. And subsidies for businesses. Or interventionism abroad.

While I don't share their views on many issues, it's a legitimate third pole in the public debate.

Where I can agree with you is that voting for a third party is a bit silly.

We do? Says who?

Narco-libertarians are actually closer to liberals than they are conservatives. Listen to them on foreign policy, if you can stomache it.
They are bedwetters and simps. Notice how the Dems managed to win by fronting a libertarian candidate in the VA race and siphoning off votes from the Republican.

I rue the day that Conservatives laid claim to the Libertarian party.

"syphoning" votes? Seriously ... something else for social conservatives to wale about full-time.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Although, by not voting for the GoP, you are an effective detriment to your ideology, if you are a libertarian.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Libertarians (true ones, at least) also oppose the insane drug laws. And the increasing militarization of local police. And subsidies for businesses. Or interventionism abroad.

While I don't share their views on many issues, it's a legitimate third pole in the public debate.

Sillier than voting for a candidate you disagree with 90% because you disagree with another leading candidate 92%???

There may be differences between some Republicans and Democrats, maybe even differences that matter. But when the net difference is small (as it was between Obama and Romney for example), I can't think of anything more wasteful than expressing a difference between them. Especially when I have the option of showing support for a candidate or party I actually agree with.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Although, by not voting for the GoP, you are an effective detriment to your ideology, if you are a libertarian.

I see it as exactly the opposite.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Sillier than voting for a candidate you disagree with 90% because you disagree with another leading candidate 92%???

There may be differences between some Republicans and Democrats, maybe even differences that matter. But when the net difference is small (as it was between Obama and Romney for example), I can't think of anything more wasteful than expressing a difference between them. Especially when I have the option of showing support for a candidate or party I actually agree with.

I guess that depends on what you see as the purpose of voting. I see it as a tool to move policy in my favored direction. You seem to view it as more of a moral exercise.

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Assuming you put the most weight on the economic questions (which I feel is generally true of libertarians; certainly true of the ones I know in real life), wouldn't his statement be true? Is it really reasonable to believe the Democrats are more likely to enact policies you prefer?

We do? Says who?

Yes, Rab, but I am far from a narco-libertarian, by now you should know that. I have never agreed with liberals on foreign policy. That libertarian had little to no affect on the VA race. The exit polls said so. :)

For example...

Do you love freedom?

Do you love Liberty?

Do you love capitalism?

Excuse me?

I guess that depends on what you see as the purpose of voting. I see it as a tool to move policy in my favored direction. You seem to view it as more of a moral exercise.

No, I agree with you. I just believe I'll do more to move policy in my direction by honestly expressing my values than muting them via a dishonest vote. Look at this way - if and when a national Libertarian candidate gets more than, say, 10% of the vote (and if the Republicans nominate Christie it's a distinct possibility) you'll see real attention paid to libertarian issues, whether we win an election or not.

No, I agree with you. I just believe I'll do more to move policy in my direction by honestly expressing my values than muting them via a dishonest vote. Look at this way - if and when a national Libertarian candidate gets more than, say, 10% of the vote (and if the Republicans nominate Christie it's a distinct possibility) you'll see real attention paid to libertarian issues, whether we win an election or not.

I agree, but it's not voting now that will get you there. It's some sort of huge event that jolts the system. I am certainly not saying to give up advocating for your preferred policies, only that the ballot box is not the best venue for purism.

Assuming you put the most weight on the economic questions (which I feel is generally true of libertarians; certainly true of the ones I know in real life), wouldn't his statement be true? Is it really reasonable to believe the Democrats are more likely to enact policies you prefer?

I didn't say they were. I mean opposite in the sense that voting for the GOP is an effective detriment to my ideology.

I agree, but it's not voting now that will get you there. It's some sort of huge event that jolts the system. I am certainly not saying to give up advocating for your preferred policies, only that the ballot box is not the best venue for purism.

I heartily disagree. It's the only venue that matters - unless you're a well-heeled lobbyist.

The "Libertarian" party has been taken over by the pot heads who rely on the hope that progressives are more likely to legalize the manufacture and sale of marijuana.

Forum List

Back