Why do insurance companies have the stupidest ads?

Dick Foster

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2018
The People's Republic of the Californicated
It seems that insurance companies have the dumbest ads having nothing to do with their offerings on TV. Does anyone have any idea why this is? It seems to me to be a detractor in that they're pissing away money that should be used to cover clams to pay for wasted time on TV and annoy us all instead. I for one would never buy insurance from any of these assholes. While Liberty and Progressive are likely the worst they're not alone by any means. IMHO all insurance is a RIP off and a con game anyway,

The At Home with Baker Mayfield commercials are funny as hell.

And insurance is not so much a rip-off or con as it is gambling. The insurance company (the house) is betting you will not need it, you are betting you will... and as we all know, more often than not, the house wins...

It seems that insurance companies have the dumbest ads having nothing to do with their offerings on TV. Does anyone have any idea why this is? It seems to me to be a detractor in that they're pissing away money that should be used to cover clams to pay for wasted time on TV and annoy us all instead. I for one would never buy insurance from any of these assholes. While Liberty and Progressive are likely the worst they're not alone by any means. IMHO all insurance is a RIP off and a con game anyway,

They know their audience.

AIG uses a retired white man and white woman on their home page. American Insurance Group knows their audience.

Last edited:

Then in that case, their audience is largely dumber than a box of rocks or a sack of hair. I guess that explains why there are Democrats.

Then in that case, their audience is largely dumber than a box of rocks or a sack of hair. I guess that explains why there are Democrats.
My wife will wear a flour sack if need be.

Yep. Most insurance, most especially health insurance, is a scam selling false promises.

It's a rip-off until you need it.

Because it's a commodotized product with little, if any, difference from one to the next so it is all about sloganeering and bullshitting the hell out of people.

They have to convince people that they are not getting utterly fucked by one of the greediest, underhanded industries in existence, trying to pass themselves off with misdirection as "good neighbors" or "good hands" when, in reality, they'd fuck you and see your family on the street in a heartbeat rather than pay a rightful claim.

Insurance is a hedge against financial risk. But it's sold as some kind of fucking security blanket, and it's not. It's not "free shit".

GEICO is funny as hell

Flo is just freaking HOT

image.jpg

The Sonic Drive In commercials make me wonder about our society.

Agree with the OP

Insurance commercials used to be about responsibility and security.
You’re in good hands with Allstate
Nationwide is on your side.

Now they try to outdo themselves on who can be the silliest

They probably have found out that silly commercials generate the most business. "Straight" campaigns like those comparing their company's ability to pay claims to the rock of Gibraltar, just don't sell as many policies

Its a rip off regardless. Insurance companies can't build though huge fancy buildings and their exec's cant fly around in bizjets and their CEOs drag down millions per year in compensation by losing, ya dumb knucklehead. Hell Warren Buffett made most of his fortune from the insurance business. Get a clue for pity sake.

Forum List

Back