Why are the Brits so bad at cooking?

Who knows why are they so bad at cooking.

So close and yet so far to France or Italy cuisine....which is so so good in my opinion! YUM

The French stole from the Spanish and Italians. Italians are the best overall, mostly their Med style dishes. French do pastries better than most, though. But none can do steaks and roasts better than the Brits, hands down.

What’s Heaven?

It’s where the Italians are in charge of cooking, the Germans organize the place, and the English oversee manners and decorum.

Then what’s Hell?

That’s where the English are charge of cooking, the Germans oversee manners and decorum, and the Italians keep everything organized!
/----/ There is a similar one about cars. The Germans engineered them, the Italians designed them, but I forgot what the Brits would do.

Maybe we ruined them with Spam. ;)

Maybe food rationing during WW2 contributed to it. Something most of us did not have to endure.

2oz (56g) butter weekly ration

Queuing outside a greengrocers in Wood Green, North London in 1945. Unlike today, when most shopping is done in supermarkets, shopping during the war involved visiting individual shops - the butcher, greengrocer or baker - separately.

B11AF66A-881E-4803-8233-A14474AACD67.jpeg

The best beef. From grass fed cows!

And tea, as I am mentioning again because I can't not.

It is true that at least in the late 80s when I went, our tea is an abomination compared to English tea. I didn't even drink hot tea at the time and still don't. But the tea these people brew there has some kinda magic sauce in it. Idk

Maybe food rationing during WW2 contributed to it. Something most of us did not have to endure.

2oz (56g) butter weekly ration

Queuing outside a greengrocers in Wood Green, North London in 1945. Unlike today, when most shopping is done in supermarkets, shopping during the war involved visiting individual shops - the butcher, greengrocer or baker - separately.

View attachment 812711

We had food rationing in the states too, but probably not as pronounced. I can still remember my maternal grandma folding sheets of tin foil into squares to use again and again.

On toast. More a northern thing (there’s still a north/south divide). Like faggots.

Yeah that last word...such a different word here! Also a few years ago I had to ask, "what the heck is a courgette"? Heh

We had food rationing in the states too, but probably not as pronounced. I can still remember my maternal grandma folding sheets of tin foil into squares to use again and again.

I was reading that the German U boats bombed the commercial US ships taking supplies to Britain.

Couldn’t that be construed as an act of war?

I was reading that the German U boats bombed the commercial US ships taking supplies to Britain.

Couldn’t that be construed as an act of war?

I'm sure--but it's likely we were already in the war at that time.

I agree. Breakfast was great, but the rest of the day was awful. The only reason we had lunch or dinner at all was because we were afraid we’d get weak. So we forced ourselves and just got through it.

I’ve been away for so long. But roast lamb with mint sauce is a favourite.

Lamb is only just starting to catch on in America.

But after that...just starve the rest of the day, you're better off. Their native food includes sheep's brains. Enough said.
There are no natives in Gods favourite . We have Ladies and Gentlemen plus worthy citizens . BTW , I bought Pig hearts and Lamb kidneys yesterday for our casserole . On low heat for at least five hours plus all the veg that you can think of .

The French stole from the Spanish and Italians. Italians are the best overall, mostly their Med style dishes. French do pastries better than most, though. But none can do steaks and roasts better than the Brits, hands down.

You are right!

I forgot to mention Spanish cuisine along with French and Italian! absolutely delicious! :up:

Forum List

Back