Why an atheist

Being best friends with the most powerful being in existence has to be a high unmatched by any experience a human has ever had. I’d love to be a Christian. I’d totally prefer it. Yes. My life sucks ass.
Having an experience of God does not make one "best friends". Think for a minute. Can you be best friends with an ant? Or, are the differences too great? The same goes in the other direction when the being is greater.

If you did have an experience with God, how do you perceive your life changing? What if you learned your life would be the same after as it was prior? Why do you want an experience of God? What do you expect to change or be changed?

I am an Atheist, because faith doesn't establish anything.

I don't have his phone number, e-mail or even vapors from this made up being who is believed to have created the king of hate and war, the tree of knowledge that is forbidden to eat from and do nothing for thousands of years while human have wars, pestilence and misery, with no end in sight, what a god!

Since there is no evidence that one of the made up gods are real, I don't waste my time worrying about it.

It feels so good to be a freethinking being, not beholden to politics, ideology and faith, what a life it is to be free of the useless made up crap!

Now the predictable replies will come storming in..... :cool:
Must suck to be you,
Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!

It became evident to me that everyone is an atheist. The Bible is crystal clear on everything but people believe their own hoshposh of ideas even if they say they are Christian. I just prefer being honest and saying that I don’t believe the Bible. Christians have to do a lot of tap dancing. The lying was always uncomfortable to me.

I’m the exact same person that I was when I was a Christian. I just don’t lie anymore. That’s the only difference.
Sure, you can "think"(I know that is hard for a prog slave) what you like, but some of us actually know there is a higher power....And it isnt the government..

Well. Not everybody has access to the information you do. Sorry. I don’t know.

If I saw the proof like you did then I would know too, so jump off your high horse. You are no better than me. You just got to have some proof. I never got any.

However, you have your own disadvantages. Because you know it to be true for a fact then you look like a full blown disgusting filthy low down good for nothing lying pile of crap to those of us who don’t have the proof. You can laugh at me for being stupid. I can laugh at you for being the most disgusting liar who ever lived. Neither one of us is in any better of a position than the other. I will take being a stupid idiot than is wrong. You are stuck with appearing to be a giant fucking liar.
Wow. Your last edit took that far. I thought it was better pre-edit.

I am always violently jealous of people that have access to the proof of God’s existence. I hate them all with a vengeance. When in the fucking hell do I get my proof? God is making me look like an idiot.
You are killing me, Smalls. :)

I have bigger problems. With all of the rain we have gotten my golf club has been shut down the last two days!!!!!!

I don't have his phone number, e-mail or even vapors from this made up being who is believed to have created the king of hate and war, the tree of knowledge that is forbidden to eat from and do nothing for thousands of years while human have wars, pestilence and misery, with no end in sight, what a god!

Since there is no evidence that one of the made up gods are real, I don't waste my time worrying about it.

It feels so good to be a freethinking being, not beholden to politics, ideology and faith, what a life it is to be free of the useless made up crap!

Must suck to be you,
Most people are handed their religious beliefs like an inheritance, something you are given as a family heirloom and never question. Consequently I believe that most of our everyday Christian beliefs are quite shallow. Even those who seem devout have never really given their religion the kind of attention it needs.

I come from a non religious family, with no religious relatives. Of course God was always there but simply as a picture on the wall, nothing to make it real. It was like getting up in the morning, you always do it but it hasn't any real meaning in your life.

Like so many high schoolers I began to question, but I began to question what I was not taught. Why was it that so many people seemed to believe in god and I did not? I began to read and would continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

I am not passing myself off as a bible scholar. Nor am I saying that those years were spent in intensive academic study, nothing like that. Now and then I would simply read books, mostly histories of biblical times that traced the evolution of Christian beliefs as events unfolded. The faith continues to evolve even today. It always seemed to be a question of "change or die", and change it did.

So unlike many true believers, who view the bible as a constant, I see the Bible being constantly "reinterpreted" in order not to fall victim to current events.

What the fanatics like fail to realize is that the Bible made less history than it followed. They go to "bibel collage" swallowing whole the dogma of their particular bent. Never realizing that the "never changing" faith they profess to hold bears little resemblance to the same faith of a couple hundred years ago. To question is to blaspheme and that is never good.

I am now finished questioning. It has been over for very long time. I still read now and again but it is pretty much over. Been there, done that. I have reached a conclusion and now all that matters is that I keep reasonably current. I try to pay attention to new thoughts but I don't need to constantly rehash the old.

I wish it had turned out otherwise. I really wanted to believe but I could not settle for blind belief. Everyone knows, or should know, that there is not one objective fact to support the existence of a god, any god.

I suppose, like most things, there are many routes to atheism. I have no idea. I only know a couple of people who say they are atheists. I know for sure that it is difficult for believers and atheists to have a civil discussion. I have no idea why that is. Perhaps because religion needs faith, blind faith, and it seems to me that an atheist must be a questioner.

Oddly enough, some of the best discussions I have had were with a Lutheran Pastor.

All I do know is that we should not put everyone in the same bag. There are good and bad people in every belief system. Some of the best folks I know are Christians. Some of the worst folks I know are Christians. As I said, I don't know enough atheists to matter.

So to all those of faith out there who use their beliefs to better their lives and the lives of others I say, "good for you". To all those who use their faith as a place to reinforce their hatreds and bigotry I say, "Damn you"!

It became evident to me that everyone is an atheist. The Bible is crystal clear on everything but people believe their own hoshposh of ideas even if they say they are Christian. I just prefer being honest and saying that I don’t believe the Bible. Christians have to do a lot of tap dancing. The lying was always uncomfortable to me.

I’m the exact same person that I was when I was a Christian. I just don’t lie anymore. That’s the only difference.
Sure, you can "think"(I know that is hard for a prog slave) what you like, but some of us actually know there is a higher power....And it isnt the government..

If I saw the proof like you did then I would know too, so jump off your high horse. You are no better than me. You just got to have some proof. I never got any.

However, you have your own disadvantages. Because you know it to be true for a fact then you look like a full blown disgusting filthy low down good for nothing lying pile of crap to those of us who don’t have the proof. You can laugh at me for being stupid. I can laugh at you for being the most disgusting liar who ever lived. Neither one of us is in any better of a position than the other. I will take being a stupid idiot than is wrong. You are stuck with appearing to be a giant fucking liar.

I am always violently jealous of people that have access to the proof of God’s existence. I hate them all with a vengeance. When in the fucking hell do I get my proof? God is making me look like an idiot.
No, God doesnt have to make you look like an idiot.......You are doing that just fine....

Must suck to be you,

No, God doesnt have to make you look like an idiot.......You are doing that just fine....

I was totally anticipating that comment.

Must suck to be you,

I was totally anticipating that comment.
Me too.

I was told today by another poster that... Christianity is a searching man's doctrine ... if we're not looking for Truth, we'll never find it ...

I am always violently jealous of people that have access to the proof of God’s existence. I hate them all with a vengeance.
That's startling and it doesn't make sense. Why can't you seek God?

Anyone can speak to fresh air but don't ever think it's God. God does not exist.
I'll tell you What a startling. Some idiots belief they interact with God, they have met him and he has healed them.
THATS startling. In a normal world it's hallucinating and delusional.

For clarity: When you say, "Atheist", are you referring only to people who claim to KNOW there are no gods? or does this also cover people who see no good reason to believe in any gods?

if we're not looking for Truth, we'll never find it ...
If you are only looking at Christianity, then it seems like you have already claimed to find it. Why not Astrology? Zoroastrianism? Voodoo?
I don't believe that ReinyDays comment was limited to Christianity. I certainly didn't take it that way. My take on Christianity is that it teaches how to see reality. Which is one of my favorite things about it. There is a sense of joy and peace when one no longer has a preference for an outcome.

I don't believe that @ReinyDays comment was limited to Christianity.
right, buit this comment, to which I responded, was:

"Christianity is a searching man's doctrine ... if we're not looking for Truth, we'll never find it .."

Seems like that person has already settled on Christianity. Now that person enters the sectarian fray, where no two Christians agree on everything. And where there is no method for telling what is true and what is not. Seems like folly.

I don't believe that @ReinyDays comment was limited to Christianity.
right, buit this comment, to which I responded, was:

"Christianity is a searching man's doctrine ... if we're not looking for Truth, we'll never find it .."

Seems like that person has already settled on Christianity. Now that person enters the sectarian fray, where no two Christians agree on everything. And where there is no method for telling what is true and what is not. Seems like folly.
You will have to ask ReinyDays on what he has already settled on. I didn't take it that way. I took it that he meant that Christianity is for men who search for truth. Hence the comment that it is a searching man's doctrine.

As for your apparent dig on diversity. Diversification is quite natural. I think it would be odd if there weren't varying perceptions about God. There are varying perceptions on just about everything. And just because there are varying perceptions, that is not a reason for negation. Reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

Truth is arrived at through a conflict and confusion process so I don't agree there is no method for determining what is true and that would apply to just about anything. Reality does not get altered by perception. Reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

As for your apparent dig on diversity.
Only apparent to you. Sorry. Only someone with a special fetish for christianity would take that as a dig on diversity. Not my problem.
Now you are speaking for others.

But it does sound like you agree with me that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything. And just because there are varying perceptions, that is not a reason for negation. Because reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

Right?

False. I described their behavior from my perspective. But you just tried to speak for me, by your own logic.

I am not criticizing the "diversity". I expect it, regarding magical religious mythology. Give 1000 people an algebra book, have them read it, and all 1000 will give the same answer to an algebra question. Give 1000 people a bible and ask them a question, and you will get 1000 different answers. This is to be expected in the realm of magical belief, where there is no method for telling what is true and what is false. And hey, that's fine. If it makes them happy, then i am happy for them.

False. I described their behavior from my perspective. But you just tried to speak for me, by your own logic.

I am not criticizing the "diversity". I expect it, regarding magical religious mythology. Give 1000 people an algebra book, have them read it, and all 1000 will give the same answer to an algebra question. Give 1000 people a bible and ask them a question, and you will get 1000 different answers. This is to be expected in the realm of magical belief, where there is no method for telling what is true and what is false. And hey, that's fine. If it makes them happy, then i am happy for them.
When you say that something is only apparent to a specific person, you absolutely are speaking for others.

So you agree with me that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything. And just because there are varying perceptions, that is not a reason for negation. Because reality is what it is even if everyone doesn't agree on what it is.

So you agree with me that diversification is quite natural and that there are varying perceptions on just about everything.
Only on things for which there is no good method of telling what is true. Thanks for making me repeat myself.

I am glad you agree that there is no method for telling what is true or false, regarding religious mythology. My work is done here.

Forum List

Back