Why American children are falling behind

too many stupid, delinquent whities out there. you'd be disappointed.:doubt:

Sorry, but you'd be wrong. Check out scores by race:

National Statistics on Education and Equity Issues, By Race and Ethnicity
Fast Facts

In Little Rock, there are racist blacks running the school system. They even admit it. All the good teachers have either left the city or teach in private schools. Even blacks who want a good education send their kids to private schools. (I know plenty.)

Most European countries are much more homogeneous race-wise than the US.

that white kids out-stat most minorities most of the time is different than presuming they'll propel the country to #1 without the 'burden' of minorities. that's the disappointing stretch youve made.

our history educating minorities plays a role you've also underestimated. europe's got a different history with some different results, despite your homogeneity..

article

Wrong. The fact is that minorities are driving America's average test scores down. What's worse is the public school systems fail to do anything about this except to 'dumb-down' everyone. We should be asking the hard questions, like "why do blacks perform so poorly in school?" The answers are quite clear: their family unit is in shambles so the parent or parents do not take an active interest in their children's education. Why? One reason is that the government has taken the place of the father for many black households, leaving a single mother to care for the children. That obviously won't work.

I'd like to see less people dependent on the government and more parents taking responsibility for raising their children. But our current system won't let that happen so expect more of the same. In the meantime, follow the Obama plan: send your kids to private schools. Even Bill Clinton did that. They know the truth behind public education.

Fast Facts

In Little Rock, there are racist blacks running the school system. They even admit it. All the good teachers have either left the city or teach in private schools. Even blacks who want a good education send their kids to private schools. (I know plenty.)

that white kids out-stat most minorities most of the time is different than presuming they'll propel the country to #1 without the 'burden' of minorities. that's the disappointing stretch youve made.

our history educating minorities plays a role you've also underestimated. europe's got a different history with some different results, despite your homogeneity..

article

Wrong. The fact is that minorities are driving America's average test scores down. What's worse is the public school systems fail to do anything about this except to 'dumb-down' everyone. We should be asking the hard questions, like "why do blacks perform so poorly in school?" The answers are quite clear: their family unit is in shambles so the parent or parents do not take an active interest in their children's education. Why? One reason is that the government has taken the place of the father for many black households, leaving a single mother to care for the children. That obviously won't work.

I'd like to see less people dependent on the government and more parents taking responsibility for raising their children. But our current system won't let that happen so expect more of the same. In the meantime, follow the Obama plan: send your kids to private schools. Even Bill Clinton did that. They know the truth behind public education.
i still dont see a bridge between white american student's performance and #1 in the world.

id like to see the education system less satisfied with leaving students to their own devices and (re)implementing an approach which makes attainment important. if parents second that effort, great. the problem with the minority's fault and parents' fault arguments is that they are solid trends which education should react to accommodate, instead of leverage as excuses.

i went to private schools except for 3rd and 9th grade. even private university. i dont have any kids yet, but if up to me i'll educate them privately. my experiences in public and private school leave me with the impression that the public system is mandatory day-care. in 9th grade i was presented with 7th-8th grade material with less homework and testing than i had in years. the way information was presented and the extent it was important to take heed was a joke. we got through 1/3 to 1/2 of the textbooks after a year.

what's the point? how white or supportively-raised do you have to be to achieve in that environment?

I like that the teachers are blaming the parents. That's funny. Since I have no dog in the hunt, I say that there is blame for both.... probably more parental responsibility but there are a lot of crap teachers around. That's cuz of the fucking unions.

Easy Answer:

1. Make parents take responsibility for their kids.
2. Fire crap teachers and replace them with good teachers.

Job done.

A. How would you "make parents take responsibility" for anything, let alone their kids? Shall we make them stay after school? What if they don't? Suspend Them? Expel the parents from school?

B. Replace them with "Good Teachers?" You mean the Good Teachers we haven't picked off The Teacher Tree Groves? Where have all these "Good" Teachers been Hiding?

Last edited:
I think parent's are the biggest problem. between libraries and the internet there is nothing stopping you from teaching your kid as much as you want. my stepson is in 2nd grade now but was rated at reading above a 5th grade level and will soon be starting algebra with me. we do an hour every night beyond his homework in math, reading, and science. he also reads on his own everyday. don't blame the schools, blame the parents.

I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is to find parents working with their children, or step-children in this fashion!

Of course, all parents should act this way to the extent that they are able...

But you are overlooking a major difference between what you are doing, and what is going on in the school system: you are investing your child with a fact-based curriculum, and requiring the incorporation of that body of knowledge by a one-on-one testing process.

“Education Week” researchers found ‘evidence of a consistently positive relationship between achievement gains and the implementation of standards-based policies related to academic-content standards, aligned assessments, and accountability measures. These associations are more robust for achievement in mathematics, compared to reading.’ http://www.edweek.org/media/ew/qc/2006/MakingtheConnection.pdf

This is very different from the regimen practiced in the public schools, where self-esteem is considered more important than content-based curriculum.

"... beyond his homework in math, reading, and science."

In the 1992 Stevenson and Stigler, in “The Learning Gap: Why Our Schools Are Failing, And What We Can Learn From Japanese and Chinese Education,” wrote that Asian parents value effort, and expect their children to work hard, while American parents tend to value their children’s innate abilities, and excuse mediocre academic performance.
You, of course, fit this paradigm.

Many educators believe that external standards threaten to damage children’s fragile self-esteem. They excuse poor performance as the result of some psychic or emotional deficit in the learner, not as a consequence of low expectations, poor instruction, or laziness. A caring, but misguided view.

I don't know what your preparation is for teaching the youngster, but if it is not based on and ed-school background, consider this fact: these teacher-preparers do such a poor job that they are in large measure reponsible for the mess we have today.

a. “…nearly eight in ten teachers believe the public’s approach toward learning is ‘outdated and mistaken,’ and suggest a different path for American education. In sharp contrast to the concerns expressed by typical Americans…small percentages of education professors feel maintaining discipline and order in the classroom (37%), stressing grammar as well as correct spelling and punctuation (19%), and expecting students to be on time and polite (12%) are ‘absolutely essential’ qualities to impart to prospective teachers….Fifty-nine percent, for example, think academic sanctions such as the threat of flunking or being held back are not important to motivating kids to learn.” Professors of Education: It's How You Learn, Not What You Learn That's Most Important | Public Agenda

b. A majority of US teacher-prep programs shun scientific evidence regarding effective instructional method. Education Schools Project

c. Fewer than 15% of ed-school programs that train primary teachers provide even minimal exposure to the ‘science of reading’ and most encourage methods of reading instruction that are apt to leave millions of elementary pupils illiterate. http://www.nctq.org/nctq/images/nctq_reading_study_app.pdf

I don't have any professional teaching background, but I have tutored a number of people in school and in my family. I pretty much just do what works including visuals where necessary (we have a big erasable board in my office that we use), along with doing examples then letting him do some on his own. once he knows the material I then give word problem type things that ties it into real life.

Until about a month ago, I had no real way of judging how well my teaching was working for him because it was so far ahead of his school work, but a month ago he got the results from his admissions test into the gifted/magnet/advanced studies school and he got a 98 overall and a 99 in math, which got him accepted into their top academic track, so I think its doing well.

those are very interesting links as well, still reading them. thank you.

Just remove minority students from the overall statistics and America is #1.

Actually, asian americans out preform whites in America. They may lag slightly behind in "engrish" but they more than make up for that deficiency in their superiority in math and science. By your logic, if we got removed everyone but asians from the american school system america's statstics would be even better.

Actually, asian americans out preform whites in America. They may lag slightly behind in "engrish" but they more than make up for that deficiency in their superiority in math and science. By your logic, if we got removed everyone but asians from the american school system america's statstics would be even better.

hey, if we remove boys we'll be better yet!:doubt:

Fast Facts

That's because most blacks in Europe and the rest of the world don't act like fucking *******.
Now they have all the white kids acting like *******. That, combined with outlawing corporal punishment and you have a clusterfuck.

Fast Facts

That's because most blacks in Europe and the rest of the world don't act like fucking *******.
Now they have all the white kids acting like *******. That, combined with outlawing corporal punishment and you have a clusterfuck.

Wow, you're an idiot and a clear example of the shortcomings of the American education system. :clap2:

Last edited:
Extend the school year for one thing. The summer vacation length is an archaic American tradition. It was set up so that the kids could help the family on the farm.
How many do that now?

Compare our length of school year to the other industrialized nations.

Our drop out rate is horrendous.
Ban cell devices in school, they must be in the locker not the classroom.

Extend the school year for one thing. The summer vacation length is an archaic American tradition. It was set up so that the kids could help the family on the farm.
How many do that now?

Now they help out with the family meth lab.

How many do that now?

california's (other states probably have it) system is best, but really hard on parents. its something like 8 weeks on, 3 off, and goes year round. summer is terrible ons tudents. teachers have to spend the first month of every year recapping stuff from before and (most) kids learn 0 during the summer, a complete waste of a 4th of the year.

Wow, you're an idiot and a clear example of the shortcomings of the American education system. :clap2:
Shill. Have you ever left the empire to experience other cultures ?
Have you ever looked in from the outside ?
BTW. I'm a retired fisheries biologist and fluent in 3 languages and speak a little Korean from my flag waving daze..
I went to Essex, where black people live.:tongue:

Shill. Have you ever left the empire to experience other cultures ?
Have you ever looked in from the outside ?
BTW. I'm a retired fisheries biologist and fluent in 3 languages and speak a little Korean from my flag waving daze..
I went to Essex, where black people live.:tongue:
i think you should go to los angeles, where black people live, and profess your ****** act theory in the middle of the street.

your career fails to cover the shortcomings, clown.

28 percent of my district is classified special ed. Do foreign countries include the handicapped in their stats? Just sayin...

???? How do they define handicapped? 28 percent of the district? Does America have special districts where handicapped kids go? That seems unusually high......

It can be anything from a minor speech impediment to bipolar disorder to blindness. Our numbers are unusually high. Severely handicapped kids go to alternative schools which average around $60K per student with transportation and related services. The rest are educated in regular schools but all test scores are attached to their neighborhood school, regardless of where they actually go.

I attribute our high numbers to substance abuse/child abuse. No coincidence there. Much of the damage is done in utero; and the rest is probably a result of neglect in the early years. Most druggies just want someone to feed and watch their kids for seven hours. If they learn something, great. If not, that's ok too. Welfare and/or seasonal unemployment isn't anything to be ashamed of anymore. It's a career choice for many which requires no skills or education and has a very lucrative health insurance plan. :evil:

Schools are for students that want to improve their circumstances and become contributing members of society. There is little incentive to do that anymore.

But I take these stats with a grain of salt. We are not comparing apples to apples even within our own country. There are still many, many brilliant kids coming out of our public high schools. These kids have families and communities that value education. No coincidence there either.

28 percent of my district is classified special ed. Do foreign countries include the handicapped in their stats? Just sayin...

???? How do they define handicapped? 28 percent of the district? Does America have special districts where handicapped kids go? That seems unusually high......
there's some bullshit going on in this country whereby shrinks are bankrolling themselves at the expense of people's children via such diagnoses. supply and demand in the hands of the same party.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Not really. And they are measured with all as are the English Learners. They must ALL take the NCLB tests AT. GRADE. LEVEL. So, a 13 year old special ed student reading at the 3rd grade level takes the 8th grade test and that student's grade is figured in with all other 8th graders. Truth.

Other countries do not do that. Other countries have longer school days. Other countries have longer school years. Other countries track.

I like that the teachers are blaming the parents. That's funny. Since I have no dog in the hunt, I say that there is blame for both.... probably more parental responsibility but there are a lot of crap teachers around. That's cuz of the fucking unions.

Easy Answer:

1. Make parents take responsibility for their kids.
2. Fire crap teachers and replace them with good teachers.

Job done.

Define a crap teacher.

And anyone want to guess the difference between "Asians" and other groups? The emphasis the PARENTS put on education. It goes back to the PARENTING.

Of course I know this because I'm a member. However, Asians make up such a small percentage of the population that their test scores are statistically insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure you knew this, but decided to throw logic to the wind and post your drivel anyway.

Forum List

Back