Whodunit - TV and Movies

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
An interesting and entertaining genre, often taken from books and stories and then to the screen, big or small.

I'll list a few favorite TV series later, but start off with this "click-bait" list of suggested best 25 movies;

The 25 best whodunit films​

Who has done it? This is a question at the center of many a story. You may know it as a “Whodunit?” There are mystery stories where you as the reader or the viewer doesn’t know who committed the crime, usually a murder, and the story involves a character or characters trying to figure it out. Maybe you can figure out whodunit yourself, and maybe you can’t. These are different from shows like “Columbo” where you know who did it but the point is finding out how Columbo will figure it out for himself and catch the criminal. We aren’t talking TV, though. We’re talking film. Here are 25 of our favorite Whodunit movies. The genre is a little nebulous, but we feel these all make the cut.

Note, they aren't presented in any order of ranking, and there may be a few favorites not on this list. A start at least ...

They've got a Murder on their hands, and they don't know what to do with it.
1642634298445.png

Last edited:
The film that got country singer LeAnn Rimes together with the guy she is married to ended up being just this kind of movie and I loved it. Northern Lights is its named and it was released in early 2009.

God bless you and LeAnn and her family always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of her)

The film that got country singer LeAnn Rimes together with the guy she is married to ended up being just this kind of movie and I loved it. Northern Lights is its named and it was released in early 2009.

God bless you and LeAnn and her family always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of her)
That would be this;
However, is another earlier movie with same title;

Who the heck shot this beautiful precious?

51G2m1Mb56L.jpg

God bless you and the awesome actor always!!!

Holly

P.S. For real, at the end of the final episode, he is shot two times on what was supposed to be his wedding day and we never did find out who did it.

Who the heck shot this beautiful precious?

51G2m1Mb56L.jpg

God bless you and the awesome actor always!!!

Holly

P.S. For real, at the end of the final episode, he is shot two times on what was supposed to be his wedding day and we never did find out who did it.

The Glades: Cancelled by A&E, No Season Five​

The Glades canceled
As expected A&E has cancelled The Glades after four seasons on the air. There won’t be a fifth season or wedding for Jim (Matt Passmore) and Callie (Kiele Sanchez).

The dramedy began in July 2010 and it became their first scripted series to last more than a season. The cancellation comes days after The Glades’ fourth season finale attracted 3.41 million viewers. This was the show’s most-watched episode since the series premiere which drew 3.55 million.

Unfortunately, the fourth season as a whole was down by 14% year-to-year and The Glades was the cable channel’s lowest-rated scripted series. It didn’t help that the show was also produced by Fox, an outside studio, so A&E didn’t have a financial stake in the show’s future.

Of course, the real losers are the fans. The fourth season ended on a cliffhanger with Jim being shot in the chest by an unknown assailant. Hopefully the producers will find a way to give faithful viewers an idea of what might have happened in season five.

^^^ Thank you and yeah, the bullet to the chest area was the second shot. The first one came from behind him. I believe that the former mother-in-law of his bride to be is the shooter because she was the only person who had the ability. She didn't like seeing her son get kicked aside and so she went after the guy who took the spot that her son used to be in. It couldn't have been her son because he was on the other side of the country due to his being in the witness protection program.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Last edited:
Agatha Christie's Poirot
Poirot (also known as Agatha Christie's Poirot) is a British mystery drama television programme that aired on ITV from 8 January 1989 to 13 November 2013. David Suchet starred as the eponymous detective, Agatha Christie's fictional Hercule Poirot. Initially produced by LWT, the series was later produced by ITV Studios. The series also aired on VisionTV in Canada and on PBS and A&E in the United States.

The programme ran for 13 series and 70 episodes in total; each episode was adapted from a novel or short story by Christie that featured Poirot, and consequently in each episode Poirot is both the main detective in charge of the investigation of a crime (usually murder) and the protagonist who is at the centre of most of the episode's action. At the programme's conclusion, which finished with "Curtain: Poirot's Last Case" (based on the 1975 novel Curtain, the final Poirot novel),[1] every major literary work by Christie that featured the title character had been adapted.[2]
~~~~~~~~~~~
Another thread that relates here, focused upon Agatha Christie's Belgian detective (PI) Hercule Poirot;
Death On The Nile

Still on the fence a bit regards this reviewer's take on the "social message" within this movie, but it was very enjoyable to watch and had some interesting twists and turns. May have to watch it again.

‘Knives Out’ Is a Surprisingly Subversive Mystery​

Rian Johnson’s 2019 movie celebrates the whodunit—while also skewering its traditional power structure to condemn the 1%.​

Knives Out, the 2019 film from writer/director Rian Johnson, bills itself as a whodunit. That’s more than fair. It wears the traditional framework very neatly. The story begins when a wealthy patriarch is found in his study, dead of a knife wound to the throat. All the guests at his estate (his various relatives and housekeepers) have reasons for wanting him killed. There are virtually no clues. There is no way anyone could have made it into his chamber to do the deed. And so a brilliant detective shows up on the scene to help the police investigate the crime—a crime which is, at this point, totally unsolvable.

There are twists and turns and tweed and a very satisfying ending. It’s set sometime during autumn in a cozy Massachusetts town. The detective who shows up on the case has a thick accent and is a celebrity. The baroque mansion is full of passageways and wood-paneling. All of the guests are protecting their own dark secrets. Indeed, Knives Out seems to be the perfect whodunit; it checks every possible box associated with the genre, denoting a stylistic mystery lineage and then enthusiastically participating. The film acknowledges many of its canonical forefathers—the mansion is likened to a “Clue board,” a character jokes that the detective’s Southern accent means he belongs in CSI: KFC, someone in the background watches a police procedural (whose drama is exaggerated for comic effect), the detective picks a helper and calls her his “Watson,” and, most importantly, the victim is Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer), an octogenarian, best-selling mystery novelist with his own publishing house and liquid assets totaling $60 million. A mystery novelist, for crying out loud! The victim is a mystery novelist! The film is, for lack of a better word, a “fan” of the genre.

But Knives Out’s adherence to hallmarks of the whodunit isn’t parody or even pastiche. And the film’s eagerness and self-awareness about joining the murder mystery pantheon might seem to portend a dull story—a regurgitative derivation, or a worshipful imitation, or something else well-meaning but unoriginal. But it doesn’t. Knives Out is cleverer than its reverence lets on. Its enthusiasm is not exactly a trick (it is very sincere), but it does allow for a degree of underestimation. What Knives Out really is, is subversive. Virtually everything about the film, and its set up, is a trick. I won’t spoil anything about the plot (this is a murder mystery, after all!). But the fact that Knives Out is something of a wolf in sheep’s clothing, in terms of its narrative, underscores how it helpfully undoes, understands, and repurposes the genre which it wants so badly to inhabit.

It flips the thematic expectation of the genre, making the mystery plot secondary to the giant metaphor it provides. The film wages that the most important thing about this genre is not the question “who done it?” but the adjoining accusation: not the fact that someone is guilty, but the fact that other, innocent people are conveniently blamed.

10 Reasons This Murder Mystery Is the Best Movie of All Time Hands Down No Question​

To say that I consider Clue to be the best movie of all time feels a bit ridiculous to me. It's the same as me saying, "The sky is blue" or "The earth is round" or "People should stand on the right side of the escalator and walk on the left side of the escalator." It's like, duh, come on, of course, it's science, there's no refuting this.

And I know I'm not alone in my love of all things Clue. If you've watched it, you know (and if you know, you know).

For those of you who somehow don't know (no judgment but also, like, a lot of judgment), Clue is a murder mystery comedy inspired by the board game of the same name, starring Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Madeline Kahn and more. When it came out in 1985, the film was campy, the film was star-studded, the film was a flop. But after being a bomb at the box office, the movie went on to gain a massive cult following over the years—I consider myself one of those cult members. There's even a Clue remake in the works with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds.
AAWZWrq.img

A bit subjective, yet ...

The 100 Best, Worst, and Strangest Sherlock Holmes Portrayals of All-Time, Ranked​

Once you eliminate the least compelling Sherlock Holmes performances, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the best.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Perhaps the most popular private detective/investigator.

10 Reasons This Murder Mystery Is the Best Movie of All Time Hands Down No Question​

To say that I consider Clue to be the best movie of all time feels a bit ridiculous to me. It's the same as me saying, "The sky is blue" or "The earth is round" or "People should stand on the right side of the escalator and walk on the left side of the escalator." It's like, duh, come on, of course, it's science, there's no refuting this.

And I know I'm not alone in my love of all things Clue. If you've watched it, you know (and if you know, you know).

For those of you who somehow don't know (no judgment but also, like, a lot of judgment), Clue is a murder mystery comedy inspired by the board game of the same name, starring Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Madeline Kahn and more. When it came out in 1985, the film was campy, the film was star-studded, the film was a flop. But after being a bomb at the box office, the movie went on to gain a massive cult following over the years—I consider myself one of those cult members. There's even a Clue remake in the works with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds.
AAWZWrq.img

Looks like this link "died". An update;
Clue_Poster.jpg

Clue_1985_film_cast.jpg

One of my favorite, though 'minor' characters;
R.2450a0cd809dc0923ec850d613b41ce7

Alas, @37 years later and she's not so hot ...
R.3f72566c8bd2eb77589d72c9b35dd9e5

Last edited:
An interesting and entertaining genre, often taken from books and stories and then to the screen, big or small.

I'll list a few favorite TV series later, but start off with this "click-bait" list of suggested best 25 movies;

The 25 best whodunit films​

Who has done it? This is a question at the center of many a story. You may know it as a “Whodunit?” There are mystery stories where you as the reader or the viewer doesn’t know who committed the crime, usually a murder, and the story involves a character or characters trying to figure it out. Maybe you can figure out whodunit yourself, and maybe you can’t. These are different from shows like “Columbo” where you know who did it but the point is finding out how Columbo will figure it out for himself and catch the criminal. We aren’t talking TV, though. We’re talking film. Here are 25 of our favorite Whodunit movies. The genre is a little nebulous, but we feel these all make the cut.

Note, they aren't presented in any order of ranking, and there may be a few favorites not on this list. A start at least ...
I love anything Agatha Christie like Poirot

That's a shit list with a couple noteable mentions. It fails to mention murder by death and dressed to kill. Forgetting those two movies in itself renders the list garbage to me

Forum List

Back