Death On The Nile

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I really want to go see this movie. It looks pretty good. I heard that it was based on a book.

I just talked to my friend about this and he wants to go see it too so I'll probably be seeing it the week of Valentine's Day which is also the week before my birthday!! :D (The twentieth.)

Okay, that sounds familiar actually. I might have seen it a while back.
It'd be hard to forget Kenneth Branagh sporting this mustache...

Screenshot_20220204-213807.png

A not so positive review/commentary on this latest;

Death on the Disney Vine​

Kenneth Branagh’s Hercule Poirot sequel ‘Death on the Nile’ seems destined for disappointment—a fate that’s becoming standard for 20th Century films post-merger

A not so positive review/commentary on this latest;

Death on the Disney Vine​

Kenneth Branagh’s Hercule Poirot sequel ‘Death on the Nile’ seems destined for disappointment—a fate that’s becoming standard for 20th Century films post-merger

I'm not going to click because I don't want to accidentally read any spoilers. I'll find out for myself if I like it or not soon enough since I'm going to see it tonight.

Rent "murder on the Orient express" first... This is a sequel.
Both "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Death on the Nile" were subjects of earlier theater releases of a few decades ago;
Murder on the Orient Express is a 1974 British mystery film directed by Sidney Lumet, produced by John Brabourne and Richard Goodwin, and based on the 1934 novel of the same name by Agatha Christie.

The film features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot (Albert Finney), who is asked to investigate the murder of an American business tycoon aboard the Orient Express train. The suspects are portrayed by an all-star cast, including Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Rachel Roberts, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins, Richard Widmark and Wendy Hiller. The screenplay is by Paul Dehn.

The film was a commercial and critical success. Bergman won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, and the film received five other nominations at the 47th Academy Awards: Best Actor (Finney), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography, and Best Costume Design.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Death on the Nile", from C. 1978;
Death on the Nile is a 1978 British mystery film based on Agatha Christie's 1937 novel of the same name, directed by John Guillermin and adapted by Anthony Shaffer.[4] The film features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, played by Peter Ustinov for the first time, plus an all-star supporting cast that includes Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, Jane Birkin, David Niven, George Kennedy, Sam Wanamaker and Jack Warden. The film is a follow-up to the 1974 film Murder on the Orient Express.

It takes place in Egypt in 1937, mostly on a period paddle steamer on the Nile. Various famous Ancient Egyptian sights are featured in the film, such as the Great Pyramids, the Sphinx, and temples at Abu Simbel and Karnak, sometimes out of sequence (the boat trip scenes start at Aswan, move downstream to Karnak, and then shift upstream to Abu Simbel).

Death on the Nile won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design at the 51st Academy Awards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Death on the Nile" were subjects of earlier theater releases of a few decades ago;
Murder on the Orient Express is a 1974 British mystery film directed by Sidney Lumet, produced by John Brabourne and Richard Goodwin, and based on the 1934 novel of the same name by Agatha Christie.

The film features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot (Albert Finney), who is asked to investigate the murder of an American business tycoon aboard the Orient Express train. The suspects are portrayed by an all-star cast, including Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Rachel Roberts, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins, Richard Widmark and Wendy Hiller. The screenplay is by Paul Dehn.

The film was a commercial and critical success. Bergman won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, and the film received five other nominations at the 47th Academy Awards: Best Actor (Finney), Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography, and Best Costume Design.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Death on the Nile", from C. 1978;
Death on the Nile is a 1978 British mystery film based on Agatha Christie's 1937 novel of the same name, directed by John Guillermin and adapted by Anthony Shaffer.[4] The film features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, played by Peter Ustinov for the first time, plus an all-star supporting cast that includes Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow, Jane Birkin, David Niven, George Kennedy, Sam Wanamaker and Jack Warden. The film is a follow-up to the 1974 film Murder on the Orient Express.

It takes place in Egypt in 1937, mostly on a period paddle steamer on the Nile. Various famous Ancient Egyptian sights are featured in the film, such as the Great Pyramids, the Sphinx, and temples at Abu Simbel and Karnak, sometimes out of sequence (the boat trip scenes start at Aswan, move downstream to Karnak, and then shift upstream to Abu Simbel).

Death on the Nile won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design at the 51st Academy Awards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She heard it was a book. She obviously doesn't read.

She heard it was a book. She obviously doesn't read.

I do,.. it's just that I didn't read that one and I don't read an awful lot,.. unlike you at least I can read though, I just choose not to most of the time. Major difference.

I just came back from the theaters not too long ago and other than the fact that it dragged out in the beginning it was actually pretty good but rather predictable to some extent. At least for me.

It's a popular story. There have been a half dozen productions.
Hercule Poirot (UK: /ˈɛərkjuːl ˈpwɑːroʊ/, US: /hɜːrˈkjuːl pwɑːˈroʊ/[2]) is a fictional Belgian detective created by British writer Agatha Christie. Poirot is one of Christie's most famous and long-running characters, appearing in 33 novels, two plays (Black Coffee and Alibi), and more than 50 short stories published between 1920 and 1975.

Poirot has been portrayed on radio, in film and on television by various actors, including Austin Trevor, John Moffatt, Albert Finney, Peter Ustinov, Ian Holm, Tony Randall, Alfred Molina, Orson Welles, David Suchet, Kenneth Branagh, and John Malkovich.

David Suchet​

David Suchet starred as Poirot in the ITV series Agatha Christie's Poirot from 1989 until June 2013, when he announced that he was bidding farewell to the role. "No one could've guessed then that the series would span a quarter-century or that the classically trained Suchet would complete the entire catalogue of whodunits featuring the eccentric Belgian investigator, including 33 novels and dozens of short stories."[62] His final appearance was in an adaptation of Curtain: Poirot's Last Case, aired on 13 November 2013.

The writers of the "Binge!" article of Entertainment Weekly Issue #1343–44 (26 December 2014 – 3 January 2015) picked Suchet as "Best Poirot" in the "Hercule Poirot & Miss Marple" timeline.[63]
220px-DavidSuchet_-_Poirot.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Suchet does one of the best performances (IMO) and that series is available on DVD.
Poirot (also known as Agatha Christie's Poirot) is a British mystery drama television programme that aired on ITV from 8 January 1989 to 13 November 2013. David Suchet starred as the eponymous detective, Agatha Christie's fictional Hercule Poirot. Initially produced by LWT, the series was later produced by ITV Studios. The series also aired on VisionTV in Canada and on PBS and A&E in the United States.

The programme ran for 13 series and 70 episodes in total; each episode was adapted from a novel or short story by Christie that featured Poirot, and consequently in each episode Poirot is both the main detective in charge of the investigation of a crime (usually murder) and the protagonist who is at the centre of most of the episode's action. At the programme's conclusion, which finished with "Curtain: Poirot's Last Case" (based on the 1975 novel Curtain, the final Poirot novel),[1] every major literary work by Christie that featured the title character had been adapted.[2]

I just saw Murder On The Orient Express last night (even though I watched both movies in the wrong order, but there was a library holdup) and this might sound strange, but even though I liked them both, I sort of liked Death On The Nile better. Just my own opinion anyways.

Forum List

Back