Whoa

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wow. Standardized testing again (again!) today. One student showed up an hour and a half late, didn't have his laptop, and fell asleep at least 5 times during the test. Each test room was assigned two proctors, at least one person from my department in each room to facilitate communication where needed. Boy, was it needed! I had never met this particular student before. A nice young man, but extremely "emerging" in his English language skills. Some a-hole in some ivy tower decided a few years ago that saying "beginner" or "low level" might hurt someone's feelings (it never did), so we tend to say things like "emerging." :rolleyes: Many people unfamiliar with language acquisition tend to say things like "zero English," or "doesn't speak a word" but that is just inaccurate. Anyway, the bottom line is that this young man did not speak one word of English to me the entire time he was there. Doesn't mean he can't, but he didn't. This does not bode well for his results on the test.

Wow. Standardized testing again (again!) today. One student showed up an hour and a half late, didn't have his laptop, and fell asleep at least 5 times during the test. Each test room was assigned two proctors, at least one person from my department in each room to facilitate communication where needed. Boy, was it needed! I had never met this particular student before. A nice young man, but extremely "emerging" in his English language skills. Some a-hole in some ivy tower decided a few years ago that saying "beginner" or "low level" might hurt someone's feelings (it never did), so we tend to say things like "emerging." :rolleyes: Many people unfamiliar with language acquisition tend to say things like "zero English," or "doesn't speak a word" but that is just inaccurate. Anyway, the bottom line is that this young man did not speak one word of English to me the entire time he was there. Doesn't mean he can't, but he didn't. This does not bode well for his results on the test.
I am sure he will be a future Democrat Politican.

Is this test to evaluate him or the school?

I don’t know what you seek to gain by giving a test in a language he does not understand

Did you bother to ask his name with a welcome?

Forum List

Back