White House Press Secretary Can't Answer Why Obama Has A Connecticut Social Security Number

The answer is very simple
Barrack Obama's SSN is 042-68-4425.
The claim that Social Security numbers beginning with 042 are "reserved for Connecticut residents" is false according to the SSA.
Before 1972, 042 was the area where the card was issued and had no connection where the applicant lived.

This is part of several old conspiracy theories shot down several years ago.
Gibbs treated the question as he should.

snopes.com Obama Stole His Social Security Number from Jean Paul Ludwig
Social Security History
The snopes article is bogus. Ludwig had a different ss number. The beginning of Obama's number 042 is for Connecticut residents only.
You apparently didn't read the se
The claim that Social Security numbers beginning with 042 are "reserved for Connecticut residents" is false according to the SSA.
Before 1972, 042 was the area where the card was issued and had no connection where the applicant lived.

Social Security History
The snopes article is bogus. Ludwig had a different ss number. The beginning of Obama's number 042 is for Connecticut residents only.
Apparently you didn't read the second link. "Prior to 1972, cards were issued in local Social Security offices around the country and the Area Number represented the State in which the card was issued. This did not necessarily have to be the State where the applicant lived, since a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

Social Security History

Note you like your leftist friend like to ignore this tidbit in the quote: "a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

That keeps leaving unanswered the question why mama Obama would have applied for a SSN in Connecticut. I was born in Michigan, but I got my social security number when I lived in Virginia, so it has a Virginia number. So again, why did Obama apply in Connecticut?

I personally think this is a ridiculous issue, made more ridiculous by Obama for not just explaining it

Did he apply in Connecticut or was that a social security service center that issued the card
According to your quote, he applied there, "person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

Social Security applications can be mailed, so a young person does not have to appear at a Social Security office. In fact you can apply for a social security card from outside the US but you must appear before an agent for the Social Security, usually a consulate.

To answer one question of a conspiracy theorist will only create another and another. As long as anything is unknown, a conspiracy theorist will adapt the theory to fit the unknown creating more questions. When the president released the birth certificate, it was of course claimed to be a fake. This spawned all kinds of theories. If the president released his college transcript, his course selection, grades, associates, teachers, would all become part of a never ending witch hunt. A president should never involve himself this as it would be a distraction from his duties as president.

Conjecture. I'm no birther and I'm not making any accusations here, but the Obamas sure did a lot of peculiar things. To everything I've ever heard you apply in the State you live and they send you a number based on that. Note there are numbers designated for every State.
Of course Obama did some pretty peculiar things. This is because he's different than any president that we have had. He's a well educated black man that became president who came from a broken home with little financial resources. That in itself is pretty unusual for a president. His father was an African and never a US citizens which again is usually. He comes from Hawaii, a place that many people barely recognize as part of the United States. He went to school abroad, and of all places in Indonesia. Unlike many of our presidents, he was never groomed for political office or for the family business. He worked in odd jobs, lived with friends, and depended on scholarships to get through school. He entered politics as political organizers and volunteer in poor black neighborhoods Compared to other presidents, he is certainly peculiar and his actions testify to that.

Last edited:
Apparently you didn't read the second link. "Prior to 1972, cards were issued in local Social Security offices around the country and the Area Number represented the State in which the card was issued. This did not necessarily have to be the State where the applicant lived, since a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

Social Security History

Note you like your leftist friend like to ignore this tidbit in the quote: "a person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

That keeps leaving unanswered the question why mama Obama would have applied for a SSN in Connecticut. I was born in Michigan, but I got my social security number when I lived in Virginia, so it has a Virginia number. So again, why did Obama apply in Connecticut?

I personally think this is a ridiculous issue, made more ridiculous by Obama for not just explaining it

Did he apply in Connecticut or was that a social security service center that issued the card
According to your quote, he applied there, "person could apply for their card in any Social Security office."

Social Security applications can be mailed, so a young person does not have to appear at a Social Security office. In fact you can apply for a social security card from outside the US but you must appear before an agent for the Social Security, usually a consulate.

To answer one question of a conspiracy theorist will only create another and another. As long as anything is unknown, a conspiracy theorist will adapt the theory to fit the unknown creating more questions. When the president released the birth certificate, it was of course claimed to be a fake. This spawned all kinds of theories. If the president released his college transcript, his course selection, grades, associates, teachers, would all become part of a never ending witch hunt. A president should never involve himself this as it would be a distraction from his duties as president.

Conjecture. I'm no birther and I'm not making any accusations here, but the Obamas sure did a lot of peculiar things. To everything I've ever heard you apply in the State you live and they send you a number based on that. Note there are numbers designated for every State.
Of course Obama did some pretty peculiar things. This is because he's different than any president that we have had. He's a well educated black man that became president who came from a broken home with little financial resources. That in itself is pretty unusual for a president. His father was an African and never a US citizens which again is usually. He comes from Hawaii, a place that many people barely recognize as part of the United States. He went to school abroad, and of all places in Indonesia. Unlike many of our presidents, he was never groomed for political office or for the family business. He worked in odd jobs, lived with friends, and depended on scholarships to get through school. He entered politics as political organizers and volunteer in poor black neighborhoods Compared to other presidents, he is certainly peculiar and his actions testify that.

You forgot his parents were on the lamb from the Albanian mafia his whole childhood. You applying for a White House spin job?

What does any of that have to do with why he has a Connecticut social security number?

Social Security History

Of course Obama did some pretty peculiar things. This is because he's different than any president that we have had. He's a well educated black man that became president who came from a broken home with little financial resources. That in itself is pretty unusual for a president. His father was an African and never a US citizens which again is usually. He comes from Hawaii, a place that many people barely recognize as part of the United States. He went to school abroad, and of all places in Indonesia. Unlike many of our presidents, he was never groomed for political office or for the family business. He worked in odd jobs, lived with friends, and depended on scholarships to get through school. He entered politics as political organizers and volunteer in poor black neighborhoods Compared to other presidents, he is certainly peculiar and his actions testify that.

You forgot his parents were on the lamb from the Albanian mafia his whole childhood. You applying for a White House spin job?

What does any of that have to do with why he has a Connecticut social security number?
You were saying his actions were unusually. I was agreeing because he is not a "usually" president and his actions bear that out.

As I have said, there are many possibilities. He certainly could have applied in Connecticut, or he could have applied from Indonesian and it would have been handled through any of a number processing centers located in different states. An application for a social security number could have been mailed to any social security office for processing.

As SSA has said, the area number prior to 1972 did not indicate where a person resides. Basically, it was used as a pointer to where his social security records were kept. It may have been where he resided or it may not have been.

If you look hard enough, you will find anomalies in everyone's life. When I was a kid, I worked in many temporary and part time jobs. I had no social security number. I got my social security card when I was 21 in Texas looking for a job but before I found one I moved back home to Louisiana. So today, I have a Social Security card with area number of 451 but I never actually resided in Texas. I had a middle age man who worked for me who said he had no birth certificate because he was abandoned as a child and he never knew his parents or anything about his birth. In order to get a Social Security card, he had to gather records about his early childhood. An estimate was made of his place and date of birth. The courts issued a "Fact of Birth" which allowed him to get a social security card, however it is not accepted as a birth certificate by all government agencies.

Last edited:
There is no controversy or conspiracy except among the uneducated.

For all your answers go to: The Debunker s Guide to Obama Conspiracy Theories

His explanation could hold water, depending on when the card was issued. I'm sure no one will be allowed to know that answer.
(1) It has been explained.
(2) Not your business.
(3) Confused? Refer to 1 and 2.

Fuck off sleaze ball, it's none of your business either, but here you are. If the card was issued before 1965 when zip codes became widely used it may not be a valid explanation.
Tsk Tsk Tsk, hit a nerve. Go to the links in The Debunker's Guide.

I did dumb ass, zip codes weren't adopted until 1963 and weren't really widely used for a couple of years, if the card was issued pre 1963 his argument of a mistyped zip code, wouldn't hold water.
uhhhh, he was 2 years old in 1963.....do you really think he or his mother applied for one when he was 1 or 2? There was no need back then, SSAN were not required for children, not even for income tax purposes, back then....

YOU are REACHING beyond reason.

I haven't seen such deflection in my life. The guy is truly stumped. Never the less, we still need answers to Lester's question to the press secretary.

robert gibbs obama social security number - YouTube

Social Security History
Steve, what's the conspiracy that you believe is important regarding Obama's SSAN number that is somehow related to your birther movement?

Why does it matter at all where his social security number is from? I was born in the South and mine is from New York State...applied for one when staying with my grandparents who were New York residents....What difference does it make in the conspiracy theory of the birthers?

Do you think he stole someone else's SSAN number? If so, WHY would this be necessary when he could easily get his own SSAN number with his own Birth Certificate as ID if it was even necessary to have ID to get an SSAN....

His explanation could hold water, depending on when the card was issued. I'm sure no one will be allowed to know that answer.
(2) Not your business.

Fuck off sleaze ball, it's none of your business either, but here you are. If the card was issued before 1965 when zip codes became widely used it may not be a valid explanation.

I did dumb ass, zip codes weren't adopted until 1963 and weren't really widely used for a couple of years, if the card was issued pre 1963 his argument of a mistyped zip code, wouldn't hold water.
You would have to assume Obama's mother got him a Social Security number as soon as he was born.

That is not a requirement. You can wait until your first job to get one.

Not if your parents want to claim the dear little deduction on their tax returns...

Why don't we hear you say a word about Ted Cruz...?

Ted Cruz:
He was born in Canada, Father a cuban, Mother a US citizen..

Obama born in Hawaii
Father
Father (1995). Obama Sr. married in 1954 and had two children with his first wife, Kezia. He was selected for a special program to attend college in the United States, where he went to the University of Hawaii. There, Obama met Stanley Ann Dunham, whom he married in 1961 and had a son Barack II, named after him. He divorced her three years later. The elder Obama later went toHarvard University for graduate school, where he earned an M.A. in economics, and returned to Kenya in 1964.

Mother
Born in Wichita, Kansas, Dunham spent her childhood in California, Oklahoma, Texas andKansas, her teenage years in Mercer Island, Washington, and most of her adult life in Hawaii and Indonesia.[3]

Wrong / False

Why Barack Obama's Social Security card application might have included a Connecticut mailing address is something of a curiosity, as he had no known connection to that state at the time, but by itself that quirk is no indicator of fraud. The most likely explanation for the discrepancy is a simple clerical or typographical error: the ZIP code in the area of Honolulu where Barack Obama lived at the time he applied for his Social Security number in 1977 is 96814, while the ZIP code for Danbury, Connecticut, is 06814. Since '0' and '9' are similarly shaped numbers and are adjacent on typewriter keyboards, it's not uncommon for handwritten examples to be mistaken for each other, or for one to be mistyped as the other (thereby potentially resulting in a Hawaiian resident's application mistakenly being routed as if it had originated from Connecticut).
Read more at snopes.com Obama Stole His Social Security Number from Jean Paul Ludwig

~

(2) Not your business.

uhhhh, he was 2 years old in 1963.....do you really think he or his mother applied for one when he was 1 or 2? There was no need back then, SSAN were not required for children, not even for income tax purposes, back then....

Correct.

Issuing Social Security numbers and cards at birth is a relatively recent practice.

I received mine in high school – further evidence of the idiocy of this thread.

(2) Not your business.

Correct.

Issuing Social Security numbers and cards at birth is a relatively recent practice.

I received mine in high school – further evidence of the idiocy of this thread.

You are in high school...... ?

Your tax dollars are not being well spent.

You finished high school ?

Even worse.

(2) Not your business.

My daughter was born in Florida in 1968. I filled out a form to obtain both her birth certificate and a social security number at the hospital. Various states began asking parents to apply for S.S# at birth for filing purposes. In about 1987, the federal government developed a standardized procedure to be used in all states.

(2) Not your business.

You would have to assume Obama's mother got him a Social Security number as soon as he was born.

Not if your parents want to claim the dear little deduction on their tax returns...
that's a NEW IRS RULE on needing kids to have SSAN numbers at birth for tax write off, this was not the case when I was young nor when Obama was 25yrs old or younger...

Last edited:

that's a NEW IRS RULE on needing kids to have SSAN numbers, this was not the case when I was young nor when Obama was 25yrs old or younger...
In 1964, the SSA began a program of signing up 9th graders for Social Security. By 1971, over 4 million students had received social security numbers when they entered high school. For youngster to get credit for FICA deductions, a social security number was required. Most kids who planned to work in high school got social security numbers.

When Obama was 25 years old (1986), almost all employers asked for social security numbers.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v56n1/v56n1p83.pdf
SSR 79-18

(2) Not your business.

If you bother to follow the full string you would have seen that I said it depends on when the care was issued. No reach there.

(2) Not your business.

BHO was an adult before SSNs were required for children as deductions.

As I have said, there are many possibilities. He certainly could have applied in Connecticut, or he could have applied from Indonesian and it would have been handled through any of a number processing centers located in different states. An application for a social security number could have been mailed to any social security office for processing

I agree, so why doesn't he just explain? It's hard to feel sorry for you people over birthers when under W your mantra was he should answer any and all questions no matter how contrived or it proved he had something to hide and under Obama your standard did a 180. As for applying from Indonesia, I also thought of that, but Connecticut seems a pretty unlikely place for it to go to be processed for no reason

As SSA has said, the area number prior to 1972 did not indicate where a person resides. Basically, it was used as a pointer to where his social security records were kept. It may have been where he resided or it may not have been.

Right, but according to the quote you and others presented it did show where you applied

If you look hard enough, you will find anomalies in everyone's life. When I was a kid, I worked in many temporary and part time jobs. I had no social security number. I got my social security card when I was 21 in Texas looking for a job but before I found one I moved back home to Louisiana. So today, I have a Social Security card with area number of 451 but I never actually resided in Texas. I had a middle age man who worked for me who said he had no birth certificate because he was abandoned as a child and he never knew his parents or anything about his birth. In order to get a Social Security card, he had to gather records about his early childhood. An estimate was made of his place and date of birth. The courts issued a "Fact of Birth" which allowed him to get a social security card, however it is not accepted as a birth certificate by all government agencies.

Right, again, you know why it's Texas, you applied there. And your quote said it's where they applied as well. No one has supported they moved around applications. Frankly that would have been way LESS likely then as it was all paper, not electronic like today. It's hard to imagine they really took paper applications and shipped them out of State and no one has said they did, now your conjecture is getting pretty wild.

I haven't seen such deflection in my life. The guy is truly stumped. Never the less, we still need answers to Lester's question to the press secretary.

robert gibbs obama social security number - YouTube

Social Security History
Steve, what's the conspiracy that you believe is important regarding Obama's SSAN number that is somehow related to your birther movement?

Why does it matter at all where his social security number is from? I was born in the South and mine is from New York State...applied for one when staying with my grandparents who were New York residents....What difference does it make in the conspiracy theory of the birthers?

Do you think he stole someone else's SSAN number? If so, WHY would this be necessary when he could easily get his own SSAN number with his own Birth Certificate as ID if it was even necessary to have ID to get an SSAN....
File this under righties are nuts and move on.

I was born in Washington State but my Social Security Number is from Texas. Wanna know why? because back then one did not get a social security number right after birth one got one latter in life when they actually needed it. I happened to be in Texas when i applied for mine. Perhaps Obama was not in Hawaii when he applied for his?

Forum List

Back