What's the point of soccer, its so boring?

Most of the world thinks the sport of men running around it short pant is exciting, but if it wasn't for Soccer Riots what would be the point? I read a few years ago, fans in Brazil decapitated a soccer ref over a blown call. I guess that would be interesting too.

Sometimes sport is exciting if you understand the sport.

I find basketball boring. You see one guy go up the end, put the ball in the hole, then the other team does that same, backwards and forwards.

Baseball is even worse. Hit the ball, run.

Soccer matches can be boring, or they can be very exciting, probably like most sports. There's lots of tactics going on, lots of small battles in there. If you don't understand it, it's just a ball flying around.

Yeah, here's the problem with all that.
To understand all that you really need to have played, seriously, not just a bunch of guys in the park.
for the casual fan attending the game there's 22 guys and a few officials spread across well over an acre of ground.
Positioning fifty yards away from the ball is not going to draw the attention of the casual fan and since the casual fan will never become the rabid fan without that understanding...

AND

You miss the issue. The issue is not just a lack of action. It is a lack of potential action.
Red pitches to Blue. Blue, at any time can go yard. How often does anyone score a 110 yard goal?
Red takes the snap, pitches to Red, Blue misses the tackle. Red "COULD GO ALL THE WAY!" for a 99 yd TD! Same question.
Red takes the ball top of the key and drives for a thunderous dunk. Only to be blocked by Blue with the ball grabbed by Blue on a fast break for a slam on the other side. Anything like a Fast Break off a blocked shot in soccer?

And finally the question to which we all know the answer...
If it weren't for the hooligans would soccer even exist?

Soccer hooliganism isn't big.

I've seen professional soccerin China, Russia, Germany, Spain, the UK, Austria and I've only seen one punch up among fans, and it was fans beating each other up from their own side. I've seen a bit of racism. I've seen a few headbutts and a player got sent off in China for punching someone in the face.

So yes, soccer does exist despite a lack of hooliganism.

Most first world countries have soccer stadia with cameras, they ban for life those hooligans. People watch soccer because they like it.

Me, I used to like it, but I haven't watched a game live since I got trapped in Beijing seven years ago and thought it might be fun to go watch a game. Since then I really can't be bothered any more.

Hooliganism is like NASCAR crashes.
It's the only thing that makes watching soccer worthwhile.

For you, perhaps....

Not a hockey fan. For probably the same reasons as soccer. But they do have fights and don't have hooligans. Perhaps a point to consider. Put some gloves on the players and set a couple of fights every match. A point to consider?

You might want to try boxing or martial arts if two men thumping each other is what turns you on.

Most of the world thinks the sport of men running around it short pant is exciting, but if it wasn't for Soccer Riots what would be the point? I read a few years ago, fans in Brazil decapitated a soccer ref over a blown call. I guess that would be interesting too.

I find basketball boring. You see one guy go up the end, put the ball in the hole, then the other team does that same, backwards and forwards.

Soccer matches can be boring, or they can be very exciting, probably like most sports. There's lots of tactics going on, lots of small battles in there. If you don't understand it, it's just a ball flying around.

To understand all that you really need to have played, seriously, not just a bunch of guys in the park.
for the casual fan attending the game there's 22 guys and a few officials spread across well over an acre of ground.
Positioning fifty yards away from the ball is not going to draw the attention of the casual fan and since the casual fan will never become the rabid fan without that understanding...

AND

You miss the issue. The issue is not just a lack of action. It is a lack of potential action.
Red pitches to Blue. Blue, at any time can go yard. How often does anyone score a 110 yard goal?
Red takes the snap, pitches to Red, Blue misses the tackle. Red "COULD GO ALL THE WAY!" for a 99 yd TD! Same question.
Red takes the ball top of the key and drives for a thunderous dunk. Only to be blocked by Blue with the ball grabbed by Blue on a fast break for a slam on the other side. Anything like a Fast Break off a blocked shot in soccer?

I've seen professional soccerin China, Russia, Germany, Spain, the UK, Austria and I've only seen one punch up among fans, and it was fans beating each other up from their own side. I've seen a bit of racism. I've seen a few headbutts and a player got sent off in China for punching someone in the face.

Most first world countries have soccer stadia with cameras, they ban for life those hooligans. People watch soccer because they like it.

Me, I used to like it, but I haven't watched a game live since I got trapped in Beijing seven years ago and thought it might be fun to go watch a game. Since then I really can't be bothered any more.

For you, perhaps....

Not a hockey fan. For probably the same reasons as soccer. But they do have fights and don't have hooligans. Perhaps a point to consider. Put some gloves on the players and set a couple of fights every match. A point to consider?

Hockey. Meh...

Too much skating between the fights.

How dare you call it soccer!

That word only exists in America. :meow:
Mindful your correct I believe its called futbol in other countries. An example of how unpopular soccer was here when I was a teen me an others met PELE the soccer star. We had no idea who he was. That was back in 1973. He told our coach thats why he likes living here no one knows who he is and he can move about and relax...:cool:

I think that for some fans, soccer is a form of warfare.

When their team wins, they consider it a win for their nation.

I forget the nations involved, but some years back, two Central American nations did go to actual war because of a soccer game dispute. And people actually died.

I do not wish to sound mean, but I am guessing that for a lot of people, soccer is the only thing that gives their lives any meaning.

I played soccer when I was a kid for several years. I had a good time. I played fullback and goalie.

Me, too. I was either a wing or a striker, depending on who we were playing.

I don't think people know just how brutal it can be.

At two practies a day we must have ran ten miles. Hardly even touched a ball.

I watched our keeper get his shin broken in half. Nasty...

Soccer players get all of the hot babes. I think that's really why they hate it so much. Heh heh.

Last edited:
I played soccer when I was a kid for several years. I had a good time. I played fullback and goalie.

Me, too. I was either a wing or a striker, depending on who we were playing.

I don't think people know just how brutal it can be.

At two practies a day we must have ran ten miles. Hardly even touched a ball.

I watched our keeper get his shin broken in half. Nasty...

Soccer players get all of the hot babes. I think that's really why they hate it so much. Heh heh.

I think the amount of running that they see is probably a turnoff.

Soccer coach in high school had us running wind sprints until we all started dropping out. Playing soccer takes a strong cardio vascular system.

How dare you call it soccer!

That word only exists in America. :meow:
Mindful your correct I believe its called futbol in other countries. An example of how unpopular soccer was here when I was a teen me an others met PELE the soccer star. We had no idea who he was. That was back in 1973. He told our coach thats why he likes living here no one knows who he is and he can move about and relax...:cool:

I’ve seen cricket being played in front gardens when I’m living in NoVa

I think that for some fans, soccer is a form of warfare.

When their team wins, they consider it a win for their nation.

I forget the nations involved, but some years back, two Central American nations did go to actual war because of a soccer game dispute. And people actually died.

I do not wish to sound mean, but I am guessing that for a lot of people, soccer is the only thing that gives their lives any meaning.

It’s called football.:poke:

AND

For you, perhaps....

You might want to try boxing or martial arts if two men thumping each other is what turns you on.

44 <> 2
And
DUDE! Just offering a suggestion to help cool your hooligan jets.

As bad as you may think American football and hockey are we've never killed a referee at an NFL or NHL game.

AND

For you, perhaps....

Hockey. Meh...

Did some Hornets hockey back in the 60s.
One night saw three fans and a player go down with pucks to the face.
Me sitting at the blue line about 5 rows back said something like "holy crap! This is dangerous!"
Remember this was back before they NHL put in all that safety glass and screening. No protection beyond the endline (is that what they call it?) No masks on players. Pucks got in the stands all the time.
A big loss for the Hornets. They only averaged around 1k fans.

Beyond that, never got the hang of hockey.
Too many weird rules. Off sides, blue line violation red line, box, and the weirdest of all? "Icing the puck?"

AND

For you, perhaps....

Hockey. Meh...

Did some Hornets hockey back in the 60s.
One night saw three fans and a player go down with pucks to the face.
Me sitting at the blue line about 5 rows back said something like "holy crap! This is dangerous!"
Remember this was back before they NHL put in all that safety glass and screening. No protection beyond the endline (is that what they call it?) No masks on players. Pucks got in the stands all the time.
A big loss for the Hornets. They only averaged around 1k fans.

Beyond that, never got the hang of hockey.
Too many weird rules. Off sides, blue line violation red line, box, and the weirdest of all? "Icing the puck?"

To me, ice hockey is a lot like la crosse. It has to be seen in person. Football is made for TV. Baseball has built-in breaks too and translates well enough on TV.

Ice hockey is better appreciated in person. The speed of the game is much more appreciated in person. Hearing the collision between a 220 pound defenseman trying to stand his ground and a winger trying to bring the puck up the ice is something that gets me whenever I hear it.

When I was a young man, the Soviet Army hockey team used to tour the U.S., playing American (and Canadian?) hockey teams. I watched them play the Pittsburgh Penguins (or maybe it was the Hornets).

I have never seen such skilled puck control. They had set plays that you could see play out, with passes, movement, and resulting in a close in shot, often resulting in a goal. It was a pleasure to watch.

Compared to that, the NHL looks like professional wrestling, even today.

Bottom line: if hockey would outlaw incidental contact, and enforce those rules, it would gain wider acceptance. There is no turn-off more effective than watching a highly-skilled player completely taken out of his game by some goon, while the officials hover around, filing their nails. And of course, Hockey takes great pride in not enforcing the rules at all during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I live in a hockey-crazy town but I have no interest, and that's why.

When I was a young man, the Soviet Army hockey team used to tour the U.S., playing American (and Canadian?) hockey teams. I watched them play the Pittsburgh Penguins (or maybe it was the Hornets).

I have never seen such skilled puck control. They had set plays that you could see play out, with passes, movement, and resulting in a close in shot, often resulting in a goal. It was a pleasure to watch.

Compared to that, the NHL looks like professional wrestling, even today.

Bottom line: if hockey would outlaw incidental contact, and enforce those rules, it would gain wider acceptance. There is no turn-off more effective than watching a highly-skilled player completely taken out of his game by some goon, while the officials hover around, filing their nails. And of course, Hockey takes great pride in not enforcing the rules at all during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I live in a hockey-crazy town but I have no interest, and that's why.
1617647443067.png

Forum List

Back