What's the point of soccer, its so boring?

Fun to play but not to watch ,but that's just me. I can say that about a lot of sports. Soccer was never popular here in Florida until recent years with people from other areas of the world moving here.

Top level soccer is probably the most complex sports there is in terms of execution. The crossing volleys have so many variables. Too high and the striker can't get it. Too low and a defenseman or goal keeper intercepts it. And it all has to be done with a single strike by the player who is on the ball. The striker has to simply "know" where to be. Are they going to be directly in front of the goal? Outside of the penalty area all together or between the arc and the opposite line? Are they going to hit try to strike it with their head or kick the ball into the net?

When the ball is in the midfield, it's rather mundane to be honest. The movement of the ball from side to side is meant to get the defense to show it's hand as to what defender is "marking" which aggressor and to see where the backline is playing so if you're going to launch into the scoring end, you have to not have a player behind the back line or it's offsides. So you have to time when you make your run

There is a to appreciate in soccer when it's played well. When it isn't played well, there is check your gmail on your phone.

Most of the world thinks the sport of men running around it short pant is exciting, but if it wasn't for Soccer Riots what would be the point? I read a few years ago, fans in Brazil decapitated a soccer ref over a blown call. I guess that would be interesting too.

The nice thing about freedom. You don't have to watch it.

The only way to make soccer more exciting and appeal to American audiences, would be to down size the playing field to about 1/2 its current size or even smaller.
Then there would faster play action and more goal attempts, resulting in higher final game scores. ... :cool:

The only way to make soccer more exciting and appeal to American audiences, would be to down size the playing field to about 1/2 its current size or even smaller.
Then there would faster play action and more goal attempts, resulting in higher final game scores. ... :cool:

There are indoor soccer leagues that play in arenas the size of the ice in a hockey game

There are indoor soccer leagues that play in arenas the size of the ice in a hockey game
I have seen it played and yes it is fun to watch. The league here is gone but it was as you say like watching hockey . No out of bounds and it was constant play until a score.

Most of the world thinks the sport of men running around it short pant is exciting, but if it wasn't for Soccer Riots what would be the point? I read a few years ago, fans in Brazil decapitated a soccer ref over a blown call. I guess that would be interesting too.

Sometimes sport is exciting if you understand the sport.

I find basketball boring. You see one guy go up the end, put the ball in the hole, then the other team does that same, backwards and forwards.

Baseball is even worse. Hit the ball, run.

Soccer matches can be boring, or they can be very exciting, probably like most sports. There's lots of tactics going on, lots of small battles in there. If you don't understand it, it's just a ball flying around.

I don't like the idea because as soon as a US team tries to play in CONCACAF or the World Cup...they will get shredded by the larger field, more fit opposition, and foreign rules that don't favor a pinball game type of approach to the sport. The good news is that if we did this...we would never have to worry about how we'd do in the Champions League. LOL

Soccer will never be a major sport in the US. An "insurmountable 1-0" lead is never going to fly with Americans. Not because it's truly insurmountable--anything can happen on the field--but because a soccer match develops in such a way to where a 1-0 lead feels insurmountable to the team that has the goose egg. You have a short intermission between 45 minute halves. Most of the time, you have no time outs, no way to have a conference and reset the strategy, you are constantly moving (Frank Lampard even broke into a full jog once), and as the game goes on, you have attrition taking it's toll. The team with the goose egg feels defeated. You get 3 substitutions and once you sub a player, he is gone. And, also, the team with the lead after 60 minutes is often able to hunker down and make scoring nearly impossible further frustrating the team with the goose egg.

Also, in my opinion, any sport that the US cannot dominate has trouble gaining real traction country-wide.

As a spectator sport? Agreed.
Enjoyed playing many years ago but watching this stuff?

I mean it's no wonder they riot. Imagine spending all that on tickets for 10 seconds worth of actual game?

I find basketball boring. You see one guy go up the end, put the ball in the hole, then the other team does that same, backwards and forwards.

Soccer matches can be boring, or they can be very exciting, probably like most sports. There's lots of tactics going on, lots of small battles in there. If you don't understand it, it's just a ball flying around.

True. Although I will disagree about baseball.

Yeah, here's the problem with all that.
To understand all that you really need to have played, seriously, not just a bunch of guys in the park.
for the casual fan attending the game there's 22 guys and a few officials spread across well over an acre of ground.
Positioning fifty yards away from the ball is not going to draw the attention of the casual fan and since the casual fan will never become the rabid fan without that understanding...

AND

You miss the issue. The issue is not just a lack of action. It is a lack of potential action.
Red pitches to Blue. Blue, at any time can go yard. How often does anyone score a 110 yard goal?
Red takes the snap, pitches to Red, Blue misses the tackle. Red "COULD GO ALL THE WAY!" for a 99 yd TD! Same question.
Red takes the ball top of the key and drives for a thunderous dunk. Only to be blocked by Blue with the ball grabbed by Blue on a fast break for a slam on the other side. Anything like a Fast Break off a blocked shot in soccer?

And finally the question to which we all know the answer...
If it weren't for the hooligans would soccer even exist?

Baseball is an untimed game. Unfortunately TV has destroyed it. Commercials are the rule of the game. It ruined itself with endless strikes and took a lot of the chess moves away and there are a percentage of players not very good with the fundamentals.

True. Although I will disagree about baseball.

That's fine, everyone has their thing. I can't stand baseball, or cricket. But if people like it, then great. Doing sports is a good thing, unless it destroys your mental capacity, which is where football comes in. I really can't abide by that sport.

To understand all that you really need to have played, seriously, not just a bunch of guys in the park.
for the casual fan attending the game there's 22 guys and a few officials spread across well over an acre of ground.
Positioning fifty yards away from the ball is not going to draw the attention of the casual fan and since the casual fan will never become the rabid fan without that understanding...

AND

You miss the issue. The issue is not just a lack of action. It is a lack of potential action.
Red pitches to Blue. Blue, at any time can go yard. How often does anyone score a 110 yard goal?
Red takes the snap, pitches to Red, Blue misses the tackle. Red "COULD GO ALL THE WAY!" for a 99 yd TD! Same question.
Red takes the ball top of the key and drives for a thunderous dunk. Only to be blocked by Blue with the ball grabbed by Blue on a fast break for a slam on the other side. Anything like a Fast Break off a blocked shot in soccer?

Soccer hooliganism isn't big.

I've seen professional soccerin China, Russia, Germany, Spain, the UK, Austria and I've only seen one punch up among fans, and it was fans beating each other up from their own side. I've seen a bit of racism. I've seen a few headbutts and a player got sent off in China for punching someone in the face.

So yes, soccer does exist despite a lack of hooliganism.

Most first world countries have soccer stadia with cameras, they ban for life those hooligans. People watch soccer because they like it.

Me, I used to like it, but I haven't watched a game live since I got trapped in Beijing seven years ago and thought it might be fun to go watch a game. Since then I really can't be bothered any more.

1617469645399.png
People who watch pro soccer and pro rasslin will know why this is funny

AND

I've seen professional soccerin China, Russia, Germany, Spain, the UK, Austria and I've only seen one punch up among fans, and it was fans beating each other up from their own side. I've seen a bit of racism. I've seen a few headbutts and a player got sent off in China for punching someone in the face.

Most first world countries have soccer stadia with cameras, they ban for life those hooligans. People watch soccer because they like it.

Me, I used to like it, but I haven't watched a game live since I got trapped in Beijing seven years ago and thought it might be fun to go watch a game. Since then I really can't be bothered any more.

Hooliganism is like NASCAR crashes.
It's the only thing that makes watching soccer worthwhile.

I've been hearing for at least 40 years that, "With all the kids playing soccer now, it will be a major sport in 20 years." Didn't happen. Never happen.

For at least 80% of the time of a game there is absolutely no possibility that anything will happen that will impact the outcome of the game - other than an injury. Unfortunately, you don't know which 20% matters until the game is over.

AND

For you, perhaps....

AND

For you, perhaps....

Not a hockey fan. For probably the same reasons as soccer. But they do have fights and don't have hooligans. Perhaps a point to consider. Put some gloves on the players and set a couple of fights every match. A point to consider?

Forum List

Back