What's the deal with FB and Huff Post?

large.jpg

This is a web wide effort to return to civil discourse. I have My facebook set to family only, and I get to pick who is family.

However, this is becoming more and more common as bloggers, websites, and news agencies disable the comments portion of their software because people cannot seem to disagree without the vile and vitriolic attacks that seem to have become prevalent in the world. By using an account that can identify you, they are ensuring that if you make threats or other slanderous remarks, you can be held accountable for them.

It is their websites, their property and they have the right to do this.

Simply don't use their services if you disagree with their policy.

I don't agree and they don't get the traffic or legitimate business from me as a result of their policies.
You don't agree, and then do as I suggested?

what?

What is it exactly that you don't agree with? The fact that it is 'Their' website and they can do what they want with it?

I agree that they are doing this as a way for people to be responsible for their comments. Many places are doing something similar. FB is good for really only one thing as far as I'm concerned and that's to keep in contact with and share pics of my daughter with family and friends that live out of town that I don't get to see much. Yes, you can make everything private and yes, you can decide who you want as a FB friend. No, this is in no way a guarantee that your information is private 100%. This is why I always, always tell people to never post anything there that you don't want getting out to the public whether accidental or not. If you post private info. there or anywhere on the internet, you are asking for trouble.

This is a web wide effort to return to civil discourse. I have My facebook set to family only, and I get to pick who is family.

However, this is becoming more and more common as bloggers, websites, and news agencies disable the comments portion of their software because people cannot seem to disagree without the vile and vitriolic attacks that seem to have become prevalent in the world. By using an account that can identify you, they are ensuring that if you make threats or other slanderous remarks, you can be held accountable for them.

It is their websites, their property and they have the right to do this.

Simply don't use their services if you disagree with their policy.

I don't agree and they don't get the traffic or legitimate business from me as a result of their policies.

what?

What is it exactly that you don't agree with? The fact that it is 'Their' website and they can do what they want with it?

The way I read it I'm sure Chuck means "I don't agree with FB's policies". I don't either which is why I steer way clear of it. I just don't need to know that somebody I worked with in 1982 is changing his underwear right now. Not a priority.

A few friends who were obviously addicted tried to convince me to go in there; I asked 'em, "what will this give me that I don't already have?" and no one has ever come up with an answer.

what?

The way I read it I'm sure Chuck means "I don't agree with FB's policies". I don't either which is why I steer way clear of it. I just don't need to know that somebody I worked with in 1982 is changing his underwear right now. Not a priority.

A few friends who were obviously addicted tried to convince me to go in there; I asked 'em, "what will this give me that I don't already have?" and no one has ever come up with an answer.
Perhaps, but FB does not dictate policy of other websites. In addition, it is NOT FB that is at fault for the juvenile behavior of the users of the service.

I have family and a few friends who are spread out all over the country as well as the world. We are all busy and I use FB as a means to keep in touch with them, and the goings on of their family.

As I said, I have set the privacy to allow ONLY family members to see My facebook, and I determine who gets to be family.

Like anything, responsible use of any product can be a good thing. I don't advocate for FB, LinkedIn, or Twitter, but I am not going to blame them for the misuse of their software.

I also do not provide My FB information to prospective employers, nor do I provide it to news organizations for the purpose of posting comments on news.

It is a none issue to Me. Use the Internet responsibly, and it will rarely harm you, but people need to get over this attitude that everything should be their way.

We all know it is supposed to be My way.

:D

what?

Perhaps, but FB does not dictate policy of other websites. In addition, it is NOT FB that is at fault for the juvenile behavior of the users of the service.

:confused:
I didn't claim either of those were the case. I'm just saying it's a stupid and useless website that serves no function except to the Nosebook company.

Little defensive, doncha think?

Forum List

Back