What's really dragging down the Postal Service ...the GW Bush Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

merrill

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2011
So why is the USPS struggling financially?

A lot of people point to the rise of email, as well as private competitors like FedEx. Certainly, all those things contribute to USPS's problems. But what's really dragging down the Postal Service is something else entirely.

Namely, the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

Passed by a Republican-led Congress and signed into law by President George W. Bush, the PAEA gave the Postal Service new accounting and funding rules for its retiree pension and health benefits. Up until 2006, the USPS funded those obligations on a pay-as-you-go-basis, pulling out of its pension fund and adding to it as retirees' costs came in.

But the PAEA required the Postal Service to calculate all of its likely pension costs over the next 75 years, and then sock away enough money between 2007 and 2016 to cover most of them.

This is one of those ideas that sounds responsible on the surface but is actually pretty nuts.

Consider your average 30-year mortgage. What if you had to set aside a few hundred thousand dollars right now, enough to pay the whole thing, even if you were still going to make payments over 30 years? No one would ever take out a mortgage. That's the whole point: the costs only come in over time, and the income you use to pay them comes in over time as well.

It works exactly the same for retiree pensions and benefit funds. Which is why, as economist Dean Baker pointed out to Congress, pretty much no one else does what the PAEA demanded of the Postal Service.

Meeting Congress' arbitrary mandate required putting away an extra $5.6 billion per year. "It is equivalent to imposing a tax of 8 percent on the Postal Service's revenue," Baker said. "There are few businesses that would be able to survive if they were suddenly required to pay an 8 percent tax from which their competitors were exempted."

Eventually, the burden became too great, and the USPS began defaulting on the PAEA payments in 2012. But the damage was done. The Postal Service lost $62.4 billion between 2007 and 2016, and its own Inspector General attributed $54.8 billion of that to prefunding retiree benefits.

Without the PAEA, the Postal Service wouldn't be doing stellar. (Though you could plausibly blame many of its remaining struggles on the Great Recession.) But it probably would've spent at least part of the last decade making comfortable profits.

"The Postal Service's $15 billion debt is a direct result of the mandate," the Inspector General wrote in 2015. "This requirement has deprived the Postal Service of the opportunity to invest in capital projects and research and development."

A lot of people point to the rise of email, as well as private competitors like FedEx. Certainly, all those things contribute to USPS's problems. But what's really dragging down the Postal Service is something else entirely.

Passed by a Republican-led Congress and signed into law by President George W. Bush, the PAEA gave the Postal Service new accounting and funding rules for its retiree pension and health benefits. Up until 2006, the USPS funded those obligations on a pay-as-you-go-basis, pulling out of its pension fund and adding to it as retirees' costs came in.

But the PAEA required the Postal Service to calculate all of its likely pension costs over the next 75 years, and then sock away enough money between 2007 and 2016 to cover most of them.

This is one of those ideas that sounds responsible on the surface but is actually pretty nuts.

Consider your average 30-year mortgage. What if you had to set aside a few hundred thousand dollars right now, enough to pay the whole thing, even if you were still going to make payments over 30 years? No one would ever take out a mortgage. That's the whole point: the costs only come in over time, and the income you use to pay them comes in over time as well.

It works exactly the same for retiree pensions and benefit funds. Which is why, as economist Dean Baker pointed out to Congress, pretty much no one else does what the PAEA demanded of the Postal Service.

Meeting Congress' arbitrary mandate required putting away an extra $5.6 billion per year. "It is equivalent to imposing a tax of 8 percent on the Postal Service's revenue," Baker said. "There are few businesses that would be able to survive if they were suddenly required to pay an 8 percent tax from which their competitors were exempted."

Eventually, the burden became too great, and the USPS began defaulting on the PAEA payments in 2012. But the damage was done. The Postal Service lost $62.4 billion between 2007 and 2016, and its own Inspector General attributed $54.8 billion of that to prefunding retiree benefits.

Without the PAEA, the Postal Service wouldn't be doing stellar. (Though you could plausibly blame many of its remaining struggles on the Great Recession.) But it probably would've spent at least part of the last decade making comfortable profits.

"The Postal Service's $15 billion debt is a direct result of the mandate," the Inspector General wrote in 2015. "This requirement has deprived the Postal Service of the opportunity to invest in capital projects and research and development."
Actually the postal employees I've seen seem pretty happy, always talking about "DeJoy".

Passed by a Republican-led Congress
and passed by many democrats too,lets not forget that.....2 democrats co-sponsored the dam thing....

True story. My son is working in Nevada. I'm in WV. He wanted me to send him some work shirts. His address is Rolling Meadows Dr.

I take it to the post office as it's just right up the street. The address comes up Russian Nativity Dr. They ask me if I want to call him and make sure the address. I said no, I was sure of the address and I'm pretty sure there is no Russian Nativity Dr but every time they would put the address in it would default to that.

I went to UPS and had no problem. Take what you want from that.

True, but DeJoy is why mail is sooo much slower.

1635208044148.png

Yup.

But this was the plan - destroy this great institution for the benefit of private carriers.

True story. My son is working in Nevada. I'm in WV. He wanted me to send him some work shirts. His address is Rolling Meadows Dr.

I take it to the post office as it's just right up the street. The address comes up Russian Nativity Dr. They ask me if I want to call him and make sure the address. I said no, I was sure of the address and I'm pretty sure there is no Russian Nativity Dr but every time they would put the address in it would default to that.

This is a hiccup possibly caused by no one shipping a package to this street from this PO previously; it happens to me sometimes for less populated areas, new addresses, etc.

Simply say you know the address is valid, and the tracking label will be created as such.

Your package would have been fine; no UPS needed.

i dont understand what you are saying.....if you have the address on the package thats all you need.....what do you mean the address comes up?....

This is a hiccup possibly caused by no one shipping a package to this street from this PO previously; it happens to me sometimes for less populated areas, new addresses, etc.

Simply say you know the address is valid, and the tracking label will be created as such.

Your package would have been fine; no UPS needed.

Seems a pretty outdated system.

i dont understand what you are saying.....if you have the address on the package thats all you need.....what do you mean the address comes up?....

That's what their system defaulted to. They put in an address and then an address comes up you have to verify as correct.

Forum List

Back