What would it take to get the average reality show viewer to watch something set in space?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I think people should watch what they want but the idea of having an reality show fan experience sci fi fills me with a devious excitement.

The Expanse is the best thing set in space on TV but I imagine it is too violent, boring, and scientific for them.

Do we need sci fi characters who are die hard sports fans?

How would the TV audiences react if immediately after the end of a reality show a trailer of people playing football or a futuristic sport in a stadium then zooms out to reveal the stadium was in a giant spaceship was shown?

tumblr_mx7362Ox351sgt06ho1_640.jpg

How would they react if their reality show network made a big budget show about a civilization based on 21st Century American suburban culture living aboard a giant spaceship with a giant stadium built in the middle of it?

The spaceship Sidonia is based on Tokyo!

What is our answer to this?

I'm on season 2 about halfway through on the Expanse.
It's a decent enough scifi but I don't see the "science or violence" you're talking about.
The problem with modern entertainment is the social agenda bullshit attached to it.

The last "good" scifi show i saw was Alita Battle Angel based on the Japanese Manga. That show has me desperately waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 in September

There's also Alterd Carbon but they ditched all the first seasons actors and dove deep into "diversity" for the sake of diversity. As a result the next season was a shell of its former self with sub par actors/actresses.

It's a decent enough scifi but I don't see the "science or violence" you're talking about.
The problem with modern entertainment is the social agenda bullshit attached to it.

The last "good" scifi show i saw was Alita Battle Angel based on the Japanese Manga. That show has me desperately waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 in September

There's also Alterd Carbon but they ditched all the first seasons actors and dove deep into "diversity" for the sake of diversity. As a result the next season was a shell of its former self with sub par actors/actresses.
Yeah, I sort of liked the Expanse, but, you nailed it.

This social programming is just too much.

The underlying politics in the Expanse just gets to be a bit too much. For the limited time I had Amazon, I definitely favored Vikings, and even there, they managed to sneak in an agenda. It's why I just don't care to watch much TEE VEE or movies.

And I watched a bit of Altered Carbon. It seemed to me to rely too much on sex and violence, and the story meandered a lot, it just wasn't clear enough unless you want to binge the shit out of it.

I have a hard time sitting down and binging shit.

I think people should watch what they want but the idea of having an reality show fan experience sci fi fills me with a devious excitement.

The Expanse is the best thing set in space on TV but I imagine it is too violent, boring, and scientific for them.

How would the TV audiences react if immediately after the end of a reality show a trailer of people playing football or a futuristic sport in a stadium then zooms out to reveal the stadium was in a giant spaceship was shown?

How would they react if their reality show network made a big budget show about a civilization based on 21st Century American suburban culture living aboard a giant spaceship with a giant stadium built in the middle of it?

My son was recently going to leave our current MMOG, till he found out they are planning on a new expansion sometime late this year or next year. He did hours of research on this one, and even downloaded it.

It might interest you. It is always fun to play in a world with thousands of other players, especially when you can try it out for free . . .

Think 'The Rifleman' set on a series of ONeil colonies tied to one another with a system of travel hubs and maglevs. Like a 3D hamster tunnel system in space for people.

Make it realistic, handling daily issues like economics off mining, and family centered like most peoples lives, unscriptedish and STABILIZED cameras, lol.

Attila Battle Angel was pretty damned good. I stopped with Alterd Carbon on season two because, well it sucked.

The Expanse was pretty good but now I'm in wait mode for Season 5 and that sucks.

Going to have to go back to reruns of Spaceballs. lol

I vaguely remember a show called Martian Chronicles from when I was a kid. Seemed different for the time
Yep. Ray Bradbury.

The series kind of sucked because I envisioned it differently. A modern remake would be good though.

My son was recently going to leave our current MMOG, till he found out they are planning on a new expansion sometime late this year or next year. He did hours of research on this one, and even downloaded it.

It might interest you. It is always fun to play in a world with thousands of other players, especially when you can try it out for free . . .

Tried that. In fact have it on 3 platforms but every time I try to get into it my friends ditch out and it's far to complicated for a solo newb

Tried that. In fact have it on 3 platforms but every time I try to get into it my friends ditch out and it's far to complicated for a solo newb

That was my impression when he showed it to me.

We play Guildwars 2. He always does tons of research to increase the efficiency of his build. I'm always like, nah, fuck that shit. I just want to unwind and experiment when I sit down to play a game. I am way too non-competitive when I play. I am glad our game is much more intuitive.

The only part of the game that requires that much work is maybe raids, which I never have really gotten into much.

I vaguely remember a show called Martian Chronicles from when I was a kid. Seemed different for the time
Yep. Ray Bradbury.

The series kind of sucked because I envisioned it differently. A modern remake would be good though.
Wow, maybe they were books I read? Now I remember that name tied to a red colored book
They were a book. A book I enjoyed, but the televised version wasn't so good.

What would it take to get the average reality show viewer to watch something set in space?

I enjoy a few reality shows. It is my favorite TV genre, stuff like Shark Tank (Dragon's Den), The Profit, American Greed, etc. The topic made me think of Carl Sagan's old Cosmos series. Did some google search and came across an National Geographic updated Cosmos series. Doesn't qualify as science fiction but sending along my thanks, I would never have been aware of it otherwise.

Following the wildly successful "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey," Neil deGrasse Tyson returns as host to translate more revelations of science into a lavish transporting experience, taking audiences on a series of spiritual voyages of exploration. The show reveals previously uncharted realms, including lost worlds, worlds yet to come, and the worlds that humans may one day inhabit. Ann Druyan, original creative collaborator to Carl Sagan, whose iconic docuseries "Cosmos" provided inspiration for this series, serves as executive producer alongside Seth MacFarlane.

Forum List

Back