What was the first religion?

It was not Judaism, you stole parts of Egyptian, Canaanite, Persian and Greek. I guess whoever the Canaanites got their views from, were Phoenicians before the Canaanites? EL is a high Canaanite God, Jericho is moon city, the Jews were moon worshippers as most were back then, and Christians are sun Worshippers.

probably ancestor worshiping or sun worshiping.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "right".

It was probably the witch doctors in Africa that started it all. They discovered they could have power over other people by claiming special powers, and the whole thing took off from there.

It was probably the witch doctors in Africa that started it all. They discovered they could have power over other people by claiming special powers, and the whole thing took off from there.

I think that kind of religion is a bit too complicated.

Too much need for demonstration, too much prep work for the witch doctor, just too involved.

The first religions probably were very simple and directly related to daily life.

Well, if you are an evolutionist, wouldn't the first god have been a banana? Seriously.

When would the first man have evolved enough to have a comprehending brain? whenever that was, you can bet his first instinct was to eat, unless he was scarred by something, like a lightning strike, I would suggest that whatever he found to eat first, was man's or was the first man a woman, god. At least until he/she/it got hungry again.

I think you are suggesting that whatever pleased or satisfied man my have been central in the first religion.

That very well may have been the case. It is simple and part of the daily life.

Worthwhile thing here, "timeline of religion."

Timeline of religion - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"223,000–100,000 BCE
The earliest evidence of Hominids, such as Neanderthals[2][3] and even Homo heidelbergensis,[3][4] deliberately disposing of deceased individuals usually in funerary caches. The graves, located throughout Eurasia (e.g. the Pontnewydd Cave (Wales), Atapuerca Mountains (Spain), Qafzeh, Es Skhul, Krapina (Croatia),[3] are believed to represent the beginnings of ceremonial rites, although there is some debate about this.[5] Neanderthals placed their deceased in simple graves with little or no concern for grave goods or markers; however, their graves occasionally appeared with limestone blocks in or on them, possibly an archaic form of grave marking.[3] These practices were possibly the result of empathetic feelings towards fellow tribespeople, for example: an infant buried in the Dederiyeh Cave after its joints had disarticulated was placed with concern for the correct anatomical arrangement of its body parts.

38,000 BCE
The Aurignacian[11] Lion man of the Hohlenstein Stadel, the oldest known zoomorphic (animal-shaped) sculpture in the world and one of the oldest known sculptures in general, is made. The sculpture has also been interpreted as anthropomorphic, giving human characteristics to an animal, although it may have represented a deity.

9831 BCE
The Neolithic Revolution begins and results in a worldwide population explosion. The first cities, states, kingdoms, and organized religions begin to emerge. The early states were usually theocracies, in which the political power is justified by religious prestige. Beginning of First Sangam period in South India. "

lots more at link

That is a really interesting question. My study on religion doesn't go back that far so I can only speculate. I would guess that the first understanding or depiction of a God or gods would be related to the elements (the Sun, fire, water, earth, etc). That would seem to make sense since many ancient polytheistic religions have major gods centered on the elements and lesser gods that focused on other things. The Sumerian water god Enki or the Egyptian sun gods Ra and Horus are good examples.

My guess is that the first real 'religions' came about with the creation of civilizations or at least organized communities that were more than simple tribes of hunters and gatherers. One interesting thing to consider, though, is that as civilizations evolved and concepts aside from just elemental influences became important, some of those lesser gods became more important as well. For example, as Greek culture developed and trade became more important, Hermes (the Greek god of commerce among other things) started to gain in prominence.

I doubt we will ever know what the first religion was but if I had to take a guess it would be something that initially focused on the elements and rose with the development of structured civilizations.

As far as which is the "right" or "true" religion....pfft...people have been trying to figure that one out ever since. If you find out let me know. ;)

Humans are a political animal. They found that they could bargain with or bribe one another for preferential treatment. It is hardly surprising that primitive minds thought that one could manipulate the laws of nature to their whims by a similar practice, and so, prayers and offerings were invented.

... 38,000 BCE
The Aurignacian[11] Lion man of the Hohlenstein Stadel, the oldest known zoomorphic (animal-shaped) sculpture in the world and one of the oldest known sculptures in general, is made. The sculpture has also been interpreted as anthropomorphic, giving human characteristics to an animal, although it may have represented a deity. ...

You are speaking about my avatar. Nice.

I would say stone age people worshiped fire.

The eldest campfire we found until today is about 1.5 million years old. This makes sagas like the saga of Prometheus for sure more important. I guess he had to suffer so endless cruel because fire was unbelieveable important for the people in the prehistoric time. They were not able to survive without fire. So it seems to me, they were thankful to the god who gave them the ability to use fire - but on the other side they lived maybe in fear of all other gods or devils, which punished this lightbringer for this greatest gift of love for human beings.

Forum List

Back