CDZ What should we do with polygamy?

Laws are easily changed and should reflect reality.

If someone wanted a law requiring blue-eyed people to marry only green-eyed people it would be about as meaningful as monogamy laws in real terms. Yes, one could be prosecuted not obeying it but would it pass the "pissed myself laughing at it" test?

Laws are easily changed and should reflect reality.
If someone wanted a law requiring blue-eyed people to marry only green-eyed people it would be about as meaningful as monogamy laws in real terms. Yes, one could be prosecuted not obeying it but would it pass the "pissed myself laughing at it" test?

The polygamy law(s) passed Judicial review. A recent challenged had part of a polygamy struck down -- on a legal ground, not a silly ideological and political argument

"Utah law made such a union a felony punishable by up to five years in prison. Waddoups said the ban violated the First and 14th amendments to the Constitution.

"Waddoups let stand the portion of the statute that prevents someone from having more than one active marriage license.

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Utah s Polygamy Ban The Two-Way NPR

So no thoughts for the children these polygamists have and the unique form of child abuse that occurs from this lifestyle? That's men for you, thinking only about the variety of sex they can have and not the consequences.

Having lived in Utah for 8 years I can tell you these kids suffer greatly.
Especially if they try to leave the cult and join the outside world.
Polygamy is being married to multiple spouses. It comes in two main forms: polyandry (marriage to multiple husbands) and polygyny (marriage to multiple wives). The FLDS variant of polygyny is an abusive cult lifestyle. It is not entirely synonymous with polygamy as a whole.

Oh you mean Muslim polygamy is cool. No abuses there.

If it is between consenting adults, why should I care?
what do you say about the overriding state interest?

What possible interest can the state have?

Look up the law you would challenge. It is a legal argument you'd need, not an ideological or political one

Legal argument of no harm, no foul

The state cannot prove any harm in consensual polygamy

I wonder. I don't know the arguments and folks who take your position do not address the laws on the books.
Why don't you do it for us ?

Most polygyny is recognized by most groups who understand the meaning of human rights offense...as a human rights offense. It lends itself to the degradation of women.

So no thoughts for the children these polygamists have and the unique form of child abuse that occurs from this lifestyle? That's men for you, thinking only about the variety of sex they can have and not the consequences.

Polygamy is being married to multiple spouses. It comes in two main forms: polyandry (marriage to multiple husbands) and polygyny (marriage to multiple wives). The FLDS variant of polygyny is an abusive cult lifestyle. It is not entirely synonymous with polygamy as a whole.

Then punish the abuses and not the polygamy

what does this have to do with American polygamy laws?

Ask Pedro.

Ask Pedro.
why would I?

Most polygyny is recognized by most groups who understand the meaning of human rights offense...as a human rights offense. It lends itself to the degradation of women.
wtf?

an ideological argument?
You seem confused.
Polygamy is illegal in the USA. What can we do about it? Challenge it? How does one challenge it, with statements about farm animals, gays, child abuse, human rights? Try that in court

Ask Pedro.
why would I?
Because he's the one who stated that FDLS polygamy is not synonymous with polygamy "as a whole". PS...muslims also practice polygyny. In this country.

wtf?

an ideological argument?
You seem confused.
Polygamy is illegal in the USA. What can we do about it? Challenge it? How does one challenge it, with statements about farm animals, gays, child abuse, human rights? Try that in court
That isn't the topic of the OP.

The topic of the OP is: Why it is still illegal?

I said that it was illegal primarily because it is recognized as an institution that lends itself to human rights violations.

Ok? Are we on track now?

Ask Pedro.
why would I?
Because he's the one who stated that FDLS polygamy is not synonymous with polygamy "as a whole". PS...muslims also practice polygyny. In this country.
Huh?

A person cannot have more than one active marriage license.

wtf?

an ideological argument?
You seem confused.
That isn't the topic of the OP.

The topic of the OP is: Why it is still illegal?

Ok? Are we on track now?
What should we do with polygamy?

answer: Polygamy is illegal in the USA. What can we do about it? Challenge it? How does one challenge it, with statements about farm animals, gays, child abuse, human rights? Try that in court

Yeah, this is what the CDZ is a joke. There are people who really, truly want to be considered capable debaters who come here and crap all through the threads. cough*dante*cough.

Forum List

Back