What is the meaning of free in the words free will?

...Most people think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect. ...

No they don't.
Most people don't give it a second thought.

LOL - alright, I'll rephrase my comment. most people who do give it a second thought think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect - ...

No they don't.

Then, what do they think - in your opinion? Do you want to discuss the topic, or not?

You seem to want your childishly simplistic black/white cereal box definition of complex concepts to be accepted as the basis of a "discussion" that merely flatters your sophomoric assumptions.

So, what is the meaning of the word free in the term free will?

Free will is a term used very often in religious works, as well as in psychology and in psychiatry. Probably also in many other areas related to medicine and even in politics.

So, what is free will?

My two penny worth is, that free will is the number of combinations in which a person or anything can exist in. Everything that exists has a structure. The number of combinations that that structure can be put together in, is its free will. For people, as well ad things, alike.

But what is all the other definitions for free will?

Thanks!
It means you have the free will to do as your told, otherwise you go to hell.
Not exactly... It means one has choices, and every choice comes with obligations. One either allows GOD to deal with those obligations, or one accepts to deal with them alone. Hell is the result of accepting to deal with the obligations alone. The Morning Star (Lucifer) will eventually reside in hell because he wants to be GOD. And hell will remain hell because Satan is incapable of creation and because he hates humanity.
So I was right, if I don't follow god, I burn in hell. That's called free will for some reason. Pretty crazy stuff.
if I don't follow god, I burn in hell

It's not quite that simple.
What if you don't know what's right?
And there are many variants of what's right.
I have 2 choices, follow god or burn in hell. That's called free choice, which, of course it isn't. It's like saying sleep with me or I'll kill you. Not free choice.

...Most people think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect. ...

No they don't.

LOL - alright, I'll rephrase my comment. most people who do give it a second thought think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect - ...

No they don't.

Then, what do they think - in your opinion? Do you want to discuss the topic, or not?

You seem to want your childishly simplistic black/white cereal box definition of complex concepts to be accepted as the basis of a "discussion" that merely flatters your sophomoric assumptions.

Heh -- I'll take that as "No, I don't want to discuss the topic, I just want to be an insulting prick."

Your call, I guess.

No they don't.

No they don't.

Heh -- I'll take that as "No, I don't want to discuss the topic, I just want to be an insulting prick."

Your call, I guess.

Do you need a hint? Free will does not necessitate a rejection of the notion of cause and effect.

Start your education here: Free Will (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

No they don't.

No they don't.

Your call, I guess.

Do you need a hint? Free will does not necessitate a rejection of the notion of cause and effect.

You've already put your cards on the table. Troll on!

No they don't.

No they don't.

Your call, I guess.

You've put your cards on the table, prick. Troll on!

If you're afraid to learn, you'll never grow.

No they don't.

No they don't.

Your call, I guess.

No, I'm just not going to engage with a jerk. You're clearly more interested in insulting me, than discussion the topic. IE, you're trolling. So, piss off.

No they don't.

No they don't.

Your call, I guess.

No, I'm just not going to engage with a jerk. You're clearly more interested in insulting me, than discussion the topic. IE, you're trolling. So, piss off.

Learn at least a little then come back.

Free will is a term used very often in religious works, as well as in psychology and in psychiatry. Probably also in many other areas related to medicine and even in politics.

So, what is free will?

My two penny worth is, that free will is the number of combinations in which a person or anything can exist in. Everything that exists has a structure. The number of combinations that that structure can be put together in, is its free will. For people, as well ad things, alike.

Thanks!
Not exactly... It means one has choices, and every choice comes with obligations. One either allows GOD to deal with those obligations, or one accepts to deal with them alone. Hell is the result of accepting to deal with the obligations alone. The Morning Star (Lucifer) will eventually reside in hell because he wants to be GOD. And hell will remain hell because Satan is incapable of creation and because he hates humanity.
So I was right, if I don't follow god, I burn in hell. That's called free will for some reason. Pretty crazy stuff.

I have 2 choices, follow god or burn in hell. That's called free choice, which, of course it isn't. It's like saying sleep with me or I'll kill you. Not free choice.
That's The New Testament.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

It's in the Bible. 'Nuff said.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

Not in Tanach.
It's in the Greek/Roman inspired New Testament.

Free will vs. predestination. Does the Son of Perdition have the free will to be anything other than who he is?

Exactly, that is one major reason why I started this thread, an excellent example about the applicability of free will.

Cain, Judas iscariot, the good thief on the cross, all show examples how sons of perdition try to get out of their catch 22 and fail to some degree.

It appears that the will is part of the soul, so it is where the subconscious is, together with the senses and the emotions. This is in contrast to the spirit, which is of logic, intuition, and fellowship. So these showcased son's of perdition appear to act as if their lives were controlled by continuous hypnosis. Under hypnosis, it is debatable whether it is your free will on the stage to cluck like a chicken for the show.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

Not in Tanach.
It's in the bible, suck it up princess.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

Not in Tanach.
Not my Scripture; suck it up princess.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

Not in Tanach.
Harry Potter doesn't count though.

It is a very old concept debated between the sects of Jews more than 2000 years ago. The Essenes believe that there's no actual freewill as everything is predestined (or rather pre-determined) which makes freewill a delusion. The Sadducees believe that freewill is absolute as they reject the idea of predestination. The Pharisees are in between. They believe that freewill can somehow harmonize with God's predestination.

Freewill is granted to humans and angels such that they can make choices to oppose God and His Law. Only those who have the ability to oppose God can be considered an entity of freewill, or else they are basically robots. Both human and angel behavior are thus a bell shape normal distribution (in terms of statistics and probabilities) mathematically. They shift differently though as the degree of freewill granted to humans is different from that of the angels. That's why when judged by Law there will be 2/3 angels passing the Final Judgment as a mathematical expected outcome. Humans are with a larger degree of freewill, relatively the expected outcome is supposed to be a bit below 1/3, provided that there is not an inter-influence between angels and humans. Under the "bad influence" of the more intelligent and more capable angels (such as Satan) however the actual outcome drops to zero. So either humans are to be destroyed as a whole during Noah's time, or an alternative other than Law must be provided in order for any humans to be saved at all. This alternative is a justification made by Jesus.

Technically, freewill is more like a computer processor going through an option list to pick a choice as a decision. Not only that such a decision can be influenced, but also that the option list items can be added or subtracted. Pre-destination is more on how such an option list is populated in the different stages of the life of a believer. Satan tries to add option items into the list, such as eating from the Tree of Knowledge can be an option. Satan then can tempt humans into such an option. God out of His absolute sovereignty reserves the right to remove an added item from the list, when it's deemed necessary. That is, "you don't have such a choice to made" once the option is removed from the list. The Holy Spirit may guide you to the positive end of the list with a gentile reminding whisper, while the devil may tempt you by influence to the negative end of the list to sin and oppose God.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

Not in Tanach.
Harry Potter doesn't count though.
If there's no God, neither does Taz; you're just a smarter beast.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done.
No, it won't be of my own making, god has decided what happens to me if I don't follow him. That's not free will.

I is dogmatically correct, that God can create people whose prior known sins known by God at the point of their creation will land them in hell.
Hell is simply separation from God. If one makes the choice to turn away from God when their consciousness is knocking or in doing things that they know is not upright they do not have that blessed spirit to guide them and in that they suffer the woes of the flesh and a contrite spirit with in themself which results in more misery in this world. "The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me."

Freewill, no such thing except for in the flesh (temporary containers which can be pretty miserable at times) as the plan for that which has been made a 'living soul' by the breath of God is to ultimately be redeemed. The question then comes down to when; and that can happen in the twinkling of the eye (the 'eye' being in the spiritual sense).

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done.
No, it won't be of my own making, god has decided what happens to me if I don't follow him. That's not free will.
GOD is who HE is. He cannot change. GOD demands perfection. If you are not perfect you cannot come into GOD's presence without dying. This is the result sin caused. However, when JESUS went to the cross HE paid the penalty. Now when GOD the Father looks at us, if we have accepted JESUS as our Savior, GOD looks at us through HIM and sees HIS perfection.
Nice way to change the subject, lol. If we don't follow god's orders, we burn in hell forever. Now how is that free will?
You mean if you follow the devil's orders, right?

You keep saying not follow God's orders but that's stating the negative. State the positive and then it might make more sense to you.

If you follow the devil's orders would you mind going to hell?

Forum List

Back