What is the meaning of free in the words free will?

So, what is the meaning of the word free in the term free will?

Free will is a term used very often in religious works, as well as in psychology and in psychiatry. Probably also in many other areas related to medicine and even in politics.

So, what is free will?

My two penny worth is, that free will is the number of combinations in which a person or anything can exist in. Everything that exists has a structure. The number of combinations that that structure can be put together in, is its free will. For people, as well ad things, alike.

But what is all the other definitions for free will?

Thanks!
It means you have the free will to do as your told, otherwise you go to hell.
Not exactly... It means one has choices, and every choice comes with obligations. One either allows GOD to deal with those obligations, or one accepts to deal with them alone. Hell is the result of accepting to deal with the obligations alone. The Morning Star (Lucifer) will eventually reside in hell because he wants to be GOD. And hell will remain hell because Satan is incapable of creation and because he hates humanity.
So I was right, if I don't follow god, I burn in hell. That's called free will for some reason. Pretty crazy stuff.
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done. So, there is a raging campfire, and you are told that if you place your hand in the flames, you will get burned --- so you do it anyway. And you are severely burned. Was that an exercise of free will? You did what you wished and suffered the result. The choice was yours.Some people have the odd nothing that freedom means one can do anything one wishes without any repercussions. Maybe, it has to do with the society we presently live in. Many people feel that they deserve the prize no matter their performance. It doesn't work that way in life or in death. Yet our LORD JESUS CHRIST has made a way. And even then, there are those who simply cannot accept it: It's too easy, it's too hard, it's not for me, I'm far too involved in myself...

Last edited:

Free will is a term used very often in religious works, as well as in psychology and in psychiatry. Probably also in many other areas related to medicine and even in politics.

So, what is free will?

My two penny worth is, that free will is the number of combinations in which a person or anything can exist in. Everything that exists has a structure. The number of combinations that that structure can be put together in, is its free will. For people, as well ad things, alike.

Thanks!
Not exactly... It means one has choices, and every choice comes with obligations. One either allows GOD to deal with those obligations, or one accepts to deal with them alone. Hell is the result of accepting to deal with the obligations alone. The Morning Star (Lucifer) will eventually reside in hell because he wants to be GOD. And hell will remain hell because Satan is incapable of creation and because he hates humanity.
So I was right, if I don't follow god, I burn in hell. That's called free will for some reason. Pretty crazy stuff.
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done.
No, it won't be of my own making, god has decided what happens to me if I don't follow him. That's not free will.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done.
No, it won't be of my own making, god has decided what happens to me if I don't follow him. That's not free will.
GOD is who HE is. He cannot change. GOD demands perfection. If you are not perfect you cannot come into GOD's presence without dying. This is the result sin caused. However, when JESUS went to the cross HE paid the penalty. Now when GOD the Father looks at us, if we have accepted JESUS as our Savior, GOD looks at us through HIM and sees HIS perfection.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
I'd define it as the ability to choose without any external influence. Hence, I don't believe in free will.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
I'd define it as the ability to choose without any external influence. Hence, I don't believe in free will.
So, you do believe that people are influenced to behave in many ways, not because they were programmed, but because they listen to the crowd? If the government says certain behaviors are okay --- then are they more or less likely to be experimented with? While many people did drink alcohol during PROHIBITION, did you know that cases of cirrhosis of the liver actually dropped by nearly half. Of course this isn't widely acknowledged (I wonder why?).

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
If you do not accept the Lord as your Savior, your eternity is of your own making. Your will be done. So, there is a raging campfire, and you are told that if you place your hand in the flames, you will get burned --- so you do it anyway. And you are severely burned. Was that an exercise of free will? You did what you wished and suffered the result. The choice was yours.Some people have the odd nothing that freedom means one can do anything one wishes without any repercussions. Maybe, it has to do with the society we presently live in. Many people feel that they deserve the prize no matter their performance. It doesn't work that way in life or in death. Yet our LORD JESUS CHRIST has made a way. And even then, there are those who simply cannot accept it: It's too easy, it's too hard, it's not for me, I'm far too involved in myself...

It appears that it is often various influences on the subconscious that decide that they can't accept it. They don't know why, they just build logic around what their subconscious dictates.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!

I is dogmatically correct, that God can create people whose prior known sins known by God at the point of their creation will land them in hell.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
So, you do believe that people are influenced to behave in many ways, not because they were programmed, but because they listen to the crowd? If the government says certain behaviors are okay --- then are they more or less likely to be experimented with? While many people did drink alcohol during PROHIBITION, did you know that cases of cirrhosis of the liver actually dropped by nearly half. Of course this isn't widely acknowledged (I wonder why?).

Interesting. Perhaps most people want more of what they can't have. Just a thought.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
GOD is who HE is. He cannot change. GOD demands perfection. If you are not perfect you cannot come into GOD's presence without dying. This is the result sin caused. However, when JESUS went to the cross HE paid the penalty. Now when GOD the Father looks at us, if we have accepted JESUS as our Savior, GOD looks at us through HIM and sees HIS perfection.

This is most interestingly analyzed by the interaction between Jesus and Judas Iscariot. It points to the subconscious effects that are involved with the above rule.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
They've done studies of twins separated at birth and, although raised in completely different environments, show many similarities. Genetics it appears is a very strong influencer so free will must be less so:

Jim Lewis and Jim Springer were identical twins raised apart from the age of 4 weeks. When the twins were finally reunited at the age of 39 in 1979, they discovered they both suffered from tension headaches, were prone to nail biting, smoked Salem cigarettes, drove the same type of car and even vacationed at the same beach in Florida.​

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
Nice way to change the subject, lol. If we don't follow god's orders, we burn in hell forever. Now how is that free will?

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
Nice way to change the subject, lol. If we don't follow god's orders, we burn in hell forever. Now how is that free will?
GOD only asks that you believe that Jesus died and arose again for you.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
GOD only asks that you believe that Jesus died and arose again for you.
Otherwise I burn in hell for all eternity. That's not free will. Don't you agree?

Free will vs. predestination. Does the Son of Perdition have the free will to be anything other than who he is?

...Most people think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect. ...

No they don't.
Most people don't give it a second thought.

LOL - alright, I'll rephrase my comment. most people who do give it a second thought think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect - ie "determinism". And I find that conception empty. What does it even mean to be free from cause?

...Most people think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect. ...

No they don't.
Most people don't give it a second thought.

LOL - alright, I'll rephrase my comment. most people who do give it a second thought think of it as a decision or act unconstrained by cause and effect - ...

No they don't.

Then, what do they think - in your opinion? Do you want to discuss the topic, or not?

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
Knowing what maintains the equilibrium of the universe and doing otherwise.

So, what is free will?

Thanks!
if I don't follow god, I burn in hell

It's not quite that simple.
What if you don't know what's right?
And there are many variants of what's right.

Forum List

Back