What is the definition of "assault weapon?"

no, but teachers can. In Israel every teacher is armed and they have never had a mass school shooting.
If the teachers are squeamish, allow parent volunteers to patrol with CCW's.

It is absurd that we allow these slaughters to continue to protect the sensitivities of the Failure to Launch generation.

The M-16 has an maximum effective range of 600 yards for point targets.

Which is considered fairly short range.
Again, it is a very light bullet, relying on velocity, so it drops off quickly, is hard to compensate for range, and is very easily deflected by wind.

You know if semi-automatic weapons existed in the 1700’s and there was an insane amount of guns on the market at the time and in the possession of millions of people, the 2nd amendment would be written very differently. There would be a lot more restrictions. Instead the amendment was incredibly vague because all that existed at the time were muskets that took a large chunk of time to reload after firing a single shot.

Please note that I did not suggest guns would have been outlawed or banned. I’m not even suggesting that they should be now so don’t go full retard and claim that was the intent of my post.

They did exist. Your firearms knowledge sucks.

Once again Biden has nominated a white cisgender male, whose pronouns are "he," "his," and "him," for head of the ATF. This nominee also has this in common with the previous failed nominee: he claims not to know what an assault is, though he has promoted that they be banned.

So, what say you, folks on the left?

What is an assault weapon?

2:18:30

I don't get it. How do you nominate a candidate hoping that they will go after assault weapons and then pick one who doesn't know what an assault weapon is? I guess the same way you nominate a candidate hoping she will staunchly defend women's rights, but she doesn't know what a woman is.

Every piece of legislation targeting "AW's has a different definition and many of those traits have nothing to do with how the firearms operate.

The AR 15 designer said it was a military weapon designed to kill people.
No he didn't.

It would be irrelevant anyhow since the military never fielded the AR 15. The M-16 and M-4 are both fully automatic select fire weapons, the AR 15 sold to the public is not.

Assault weapons are also intended for very short range.
Picture swinging over to the enemy ship on a rope and dropping down among a 100 man enemy crew.
You are going to want something that will sweep as many of the enemy off the decks with a single shot, that you can.
You're going to want a fully automatic weapon for that application, not an AR 15.

AR 15's can be accurate to a thousand yards.

Obviously you are clueless here and probably need to shut up.

The so called sensible restrictions that only affect law abiding citizens. By the way you should look up the puckle gun it was the first firearm described as a machine gun invented in 1720. The founding fathers where not morons they knew technology would advance and the whole reason for the 2nd is to protect the citizenry from a tyrannical government.
The problem with "Sensible Gun Restrictions" is they only make sense to those who know nothing about guns or how they are used.

Yep I just did. Let me finish the Wikipedia quote you cherry-picked:

“It was one of the earliest weapons to be referred to as a "machine gun", being called such in a 1722 shipping manifest, though its operation does not match the modern use of the term. It was never used during any combat operation or war. Production was highly limited and may have been as few as two guns.
AR's are not machine guns. Only fully automatic weapons can be classified as "machine guns'.

Do they hunt with assault rifles in Texas? Must be some macho man thing.

If your goal is to drop as many hogs as possible out of a herd yes, a Semi Auto is exactly what you want.

Hog, "Hunting" isn't about filling the freezer for most people, it's about wiping out as many hogs as possible because they do billions of dollars worth of damage to farm fields and they can spread deadly diseases to domestic hogs that if found in your herd result in the herd's total destruction.

If your goal is to drop as many hogs as possible out of a herd yes, a Semi Auto is exactly what you want.

Hog, "Hunting" isn't about filling the freezer for most people, it's about wiping out as many hogs as possible because they do billions of dollars worth of damage to farm fields and they can spread deadly diseases to domestic hogs that if found in your herd result in the herd's total destruction.
The hunt wasn't on farm land... Just an old rice plantation.

Well by that definition an AR-15 is not an assault weapon. It can be and is used for hunting.

***snip***

What states can you not hunt with an AR?

States that don’t allow hunting with an AR-15

• California.
  • Connecticut.
  • Delaware.
  • Maryland.
  • Massachusetts.
  • New Hampshire.
  • New Jersey.
  • New York.

Here is an interesting article on the AR-15 from CNN.

***snip***

Owners can remodel the guns themselves, or they can construct one from scratch with their favorite features.

“It’s everything you want,” said Bartocci, the “Black Rifle II” author. “You want a hunting rifle? It does it. You want a target rifle? It does it. You want a law-enforcement rifle? It does it.”

The AR-15 is now the most popular sporting rifle in the U.S. According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 style rifles accounted for an estimated 61 percent of all US civilian rifle sales in 2016. The National Rifle Association reports that Americans own more than 15 million AR-15s today.

As more AR-15 style rifles entered the market, the competition caused the price to drop. During the ban, Weeks said an AR-15 could have cost well over $1,000. But an AR-15 from his store costs as little as $400 today.

Handguns are definitely used for hunting. Obviously you don’t normally use a snub nosed revolver for hunting but a long barreled .357 magnum handgun and up work well.

I live in Florida and when hunting season starts you see a number of hunters come out to the pistol range to sight in their revolvers. .44 Magnum revolvers are quite popular for hunting. I remember one hunter who had a Freedom Arms .454 Causal revolver and was amazingly accurate with it at 50 yards.

I have had hog hunters tell me that they often carry a .44 mag revolver. When a hog charges the hunter often drops his rifle or shotgun and climbs a tree. It can be helpful to have a revolver to shoot the hog so you can climb back down.

***snip***

HOW TO SURVIVE AN ATTACK BY A WILD HOG?
Playing dead in a pig attack is a bad approach, mainly because the pig now has access to goring your stomach – which is bad. So, here are a few tried and true methods that have worked for survivors of pig attacks.

• First, if you see a pig approaching from a distance, run away. Keep in mind that they’re fast, so this won’t work if they’re already very close.
    • If they continue approaching you, try to get up a tree. They can’t climb, so 6’ up and you’re probably safe.
    • If there are no trees around, stand your ground and prepare to fight the pig. If you don’t have a gun, knife or spear, use anything you have. This might include a tripod, bike, shovel, or dog leash. Try your best and never give up.
    • Stay on your feet. If you fall, you risk getting a tusk in the gut, arms, head or neck.
    • Keep fighting until the pig stops. Often attacks only last a minute.
    • Get first aid immediately. Not only do you need to prevent blood loss, but pigs carry a lot of harmful bacteria in their mouths that could cause serious problems if untreated.
View attachment 649861
A few years back I spotted a very large boar. In the truck I had a .375 Ruger, the same rifle I hunt large and dangerous game such as croc, hippo, and cape buffalo with in Africa.

At 350yds I put a perfect double lung sot into him and thought, "yippee" Just as I did he started charging in my direction.

At 100yds I put one right between his shoulders which dropped him for a few seconds but again he got up and continued the charge.

As he passed by me I put another shot through one lung and his liver.

He disappeared into some brush so I went and got a dog.

I returned about 15 minutes later with the dog and went in after him.

He came out very angry and I finished him with a shot to the head.

I'd have been much better off that day with my AR in 260 or one of my M1A's in 7.62x51mm.

Best to have a semi auto of some sort if you're going to be on the ground with them or things can go bad very quickly.

It's used to kill people not for hunting.
That's simply a lie, the AR platform has been the most popular selling hunting platform of all for two full decades and are preferred by hog, varmint, and predator hunters because of the rapid follow up shots.

Forum List

Back