What is Spotify?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I gather that Spotify is a smart phone app via which I can access music and podcasts.

At present - and for many years now - I have been using Pandora for my music needs, which are: listening to music when out on log walks or bike rides. Pandora is a free app (if you tolerate the ads, which I do) that only uses my cellphone data. When I exceed my monthly data allotment, Pandora pretty much crashes because the data transfer is too slow. Of course, when I'm on my home WiFi no data is used.

I have three "stations" that I listen to on Pandora, all of whom play a "curated" selection of similar music, the nature of which I will not divulge. My son tells me that Spotify allows me to listen to whole albums, but that is an advantage that doesn't interest me.

Why would I switch from Pandora to Spotify? What would be the advantage?

I gather that Spotify is a smart phone app via which I can access music and podcasts.

At present - and for many years now - I have been using Pandora for my music needs, which are: listening to music when out on log walks or bike rides. Pandora is a free app (if you tolerate the ads, which I do) that only uses my cellphone data. When I exceed my monthly data allotment, Pandora pretty much crashes because the data transfer is too slow. Of course, when I'm on my home WiFi no data is used.

I have three "stations" that I listen to on Pandora, all of whom play a "curated" selection of similar music, the nature of which I will not divulge. My son tells me that Spotify allows me to listen to whole albums, but that is an advantage that doesn't interest me.

No idea. I never paid attention to either of them until some old 60's burnout musicians started yakking about it.

Same as Pandora but bigger.

It has a free mode with ads.

Owned by a Swedish outfit, I think.

How can you listen to the musical version of The War of the Worlds or Stan Freeberg's History of the US without listening to the whole album?

How can you listen to the musical version of The War of the Worlds or Stan Freeberg's History of the US without listening to the whole album?
you can listen to entire albums on Spotify

I do it all the time.

I understand about the complete albums (is that term obsolete now?), but I'm satisfied with the music I'm getting now.

I suspect YouTube would involve more data, which is a consideration. I do watch YouTube music at home.

From what I see here, there is little reason to switch from Pandora to Spotify.

Back in the day, we bought our music on LPs or 45's. Digital music was available in the 80s but there was no simple way to distribute it.

With the advent of The Internet, digital music files could be "shared" between owners (the music industry referred to this as piracy).

The music industry lost millions because of the new technology and they tried to sue it out of existence to no avail.

Finally, a company (Apple) showed that people who are after digital music will pay a minimal fee of $.99 a song and the music companies now provide content to the streaming services (the same services that they originally called pirates) and receive a cut of the per song fee.

Spotify is one of these companies, along with YouTube Music, Apple Music, Sirius, and others.

Back in the day, we bought our music on LPs or 45's. Digital music was available in the 80s but there was no simple way to distribute it.

With the advent of The Internet, digital music files could be "shared" between owners (the music industry referred to this as piracy).

The music industry lost millions because of the new technology and they tried to sue it out of existence to no avail.

Finally, a company (Apple) showed that people who are after digital music will pay a minimal fee of $.99 a song and the music companies now provide content to the streaming services (the same services that they originally called pirates) and receive a cut of the per song fee.

Spotify is one of these companies, along with YouTube Music, Apple Music, Sirius, and others.
No one will ever beat the awesomeness of Napster.
I believe they still hold the record for the most users in the world still today.

No one will ever beat the awesomeness of Napster.
I believe they still hold the record for the most users in the world still today.

Amazing in that Napster started operations in 1999 and was shutdown in 2001.

It appears the top owner of Spotify is also a top owner of Moderna.

I don't know but that almost looks like......... conflict of interest?

Like, apparently a lot of folks since this whole Rogan thing happened - I signed up to Spotify.
So the effect of the censor fans and cancel stars - Rogan is gaining listeners, not losing.
They are enjoying an 18% gain in subscribers, a record.
And 40% gain in revenue.
Spotify be like... THANK YOU NEIL YOUNG!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Forum List

Back