The Future of Computing May Belong to Apple

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I know most of you don't know what a CPU is or even care but not long ago Apple began putting the ARM-based silicon chips in almost all of it's computers. They dwarf the abilities of Intel and AMD CPUs by leaps and bounds. Nvidia was working on a $40 billion dollar acquisition of ARM but Bloomberg is claiming that deal has fallen through especially with FTC stating it would stop the merger. This would have put ARM-based chips in most all non-Apple systems.
This leaves only Apple with ARM-based chips which are potentially decades ahead of anything Intel and AMD have. The ARM-based chips aren't just CPUs (Central Processing Units), it's the entire system on one chip integrating several different components, including the CPU, GPU, unified memory architecture (RAM), Neural Engine, Secure Enclave, SSD controller, image signal processor, encode/decode engines, Thunderbolt controller with USB 4 support. Set up this way whatever unit it's in is amazingly fast and powerful.

Armed and ready: Did Nvidia just hand computing's future to Apple? | ZDNet

Don't know enough about computers to truly understand what you're saying but it wouldnt surprise me.
Think in terms of hardware (your desktop, laptop, cell phone, etc) being like the human body, the CPU (Central Processing Unit) Intel i5, i7, AMD, etc as the brain with the graphics processor, hard drive (storage), wifi, DVD drives etc attached to it by bundles of nerves stretched out over the motherboard (the body). This is a computer system (hardware). Arm processors are Systems on a Chip (processor +) which means all the above is combined into a single processor chip, much faster, much greater processing ability using less power. Plus it doesn't have to be the processor, it can be a heart of a microsystem and it's applications are widespread including AI (Artificial Intelligence).

Think in terms of hardware (your desktop, laptop, cell phone, etc) being like the human body, the CPU (Central Processing Unit) Intel i5, i7, AMD, etc as the brain with the graphics processor, hard drive (storage), wifi, DVD drives etc attached to it by bundles of nerves stretched out over the motherboard (the body). This is a computer system (hardware). Arm processors are Systems on a Chip (processor +) which means all the above is combined into a single processor chip, much faster, much greater processing ability using less power. Plus it doesn't have to be the processor, it can be a heart of a microsystem and it's applications are widespread including AI (Artificial Intelligence).

That makes it a bit clearer.

Not likely, too many people just don't like Apple. A competitor will arise and the technology will spread.

Not likely, too many people just don't like Apple. A competitor will arise and the technology will spread.
Eh? Yeah... not buying that.
People don't buy Macs because of the cost. That is pretty much the only reason.
If Macs cost the same as PC laptops... they would wipe out MS in a single year.
What is there not to like that a PC fixes?

Nah, most of the people I know will never use Apple products, no matter what. You also have the issue of compatibility, a lot of people are invested in Windows and it's operating system, to include games and other software. Switching to Apple would be to lose access to hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of software.

Nah, most of the people I know will never use Apple products, no matter what. You also have the issue of compatibility, a lot of people are invested in Windows and it's operating system, to include games and other software. Switching to Apple would be to lose access to hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of software.
Still don't buy it. Few gamers are PC Gamers. As of Dec. 21' only 24% of gamers play on a PC.
The vast-vast majority of laptop users are really browser users. As in, everything they do is on a browser.
As far as word processing/excel etc. - both are available on a Mac. Most software a PC runs, so does a Mac.
As objective as I can be, Macs are smoother, less obtrusive... holy cow less obtrusive... never restarts to do upgrades.
More customizable, and faster on less memory.

"most of the people I know"

Right there is the key phrase, we humans have a strong tendency to judge the whole based on our own microcosm making the erroneous assumption that our views/observations are universal.

Now do I personally think Apple is going to ultimately take over the lead from Microsoft? Don't know, my crystal ball is in the shop being repaired but if Apple moves fast enough with this new technology we'll definitely see a huge increase in their market share. Every one else will be playing catch up.

"most of the people I know"

Right there is the key phrase, we humans have a strong tendency to judge the whole based on our own microcosm making the erroneous assumption that our views/observations are universal.

Now do I personally think Apple is going to ultimately take over the lead from Microsoft? Don't know, my crystal ball is in the shop being repaired but if Apple moves fast enough with this new technology we'll definitely see a huge increase in their market share. Every one else will be playing catch up.
Just look at market share. Apple is not going to overtake the PC crowd. Apple has had 'superior' products in the past and it didn't change the needle.

They haven't. They have a decent share.
That's why everyone who doesn't have an iPhone keeps asking people with an iPhone to look up how to use their phone.
At work, the 10 people who swore they would never buy an iPhone bought an iPhone.

That's why everyone who doesn't have an iPhone keeps asking people with an iPhone to look up how to use their phone.
At work, the 10 people who swore they would never buy an iPhone bought an iPhone.
Apple enjoys 60% of the US phone market share... they took over the market

I have a IPHONE and Android phone and the reality is IPHONE is much better someone like me…

When I handed my brother his IPHONE he first hated it but now hate using the business Android, so people change once they learn how to use it…

I cut my teeth on a Apple II, so I have a long history with the product…

Worked for SEH of America in the early 90’s before going into Geo Engineering and the stuff they were showing us back then is now old school, and they were creating the Chips for AMD and Intel when Intel was having that floating decimal issue and had to revert back to the 486 chip because the 586 was a mess…

Apple IOS sucks....

Forum List

Back