What is Southern Heritage?

If I'm taking youse guys seriously, what I am getting out of your responses is that the Southern Heritage is really a mixture Southern Culture (fishing and food and such) PLUS that sense of having a shared history by dint of having once been part of the CSA.

Now if some of your sons and daughters of the South would tell me which heritage do you most indeitify with --your shared Southern heritage or your shared American heritage, I'd appreciate it.

Clearly they are not the same thing.

what's cream gravy??

wacky-shocked-baby-with-clipping-path-thumb513604.jpg

View attachment 11888

If I'm taking youse guys seriously, what I am getting out of your responses is that the Southern Heritage is really a mixture Southern Culture (fishing and food and such) PLUS that sense of having a shared history by dint of having once been part of the CSA.

Now if some of your sons and daughters of the South would tell me which heritage do you most indeitify with --your shared Southern heritage or your shared American heritage, I'd appreciate it.

I think that the nasal drawl and NRA membership are their only common bond. Though there could be more.

I think that the nasal drawl and NRA membership are their only common bond. Though there could be more.

Nasal drawl? That's New England.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I went up north once. WAY up north! Somewhere around Shreveport.

Now that comment right there is full of what I'd call "southern heritage."

I lived in Tampa for four years, and it's what I heard called "the deep south." From what I get, "southern heritage" is based partly in the belief among southerns that "the south will rise again."

Umm anything Tampa and below is not south.
It is a mix of mostly hispanics and such. Not like the rest of the south at all.

I think you'd have a real hard time convincing the southerners I met down there of that, and it's far from "mostly hispanic."

Last edited:
Grits, sweet tea, and fried okra.

Take THAT you northern bastuhds...
Grits? Please! Could I substitute hash browns for the wall paper paste?

Sweet tea? Yuk! As a diabetic, sweet tea equals a slow death!

And fried okra? Couild you find a slimier vegetable? Perhaps some kelp harvested from the Deep Water Horizon site!

But, I do love the South! You should have cited Dreamland Barbecue in Birmingham! Maybe Phillipi Creek Oyster House in Sarasota. Or any of the Calabash sea food restaurants just south of Myrtle Beach.

And fried okra? Couild you find a slimier vegetable? Perhaps some kelp harvested from the Deep Water Horizon site!

But, I do love the South! You should have cited Dreamland Barbecue in Birmingham! Maybe Phillipi Creek Oyster House in Sarasota. Or any of the Calabash sea food restaurants just south of Myrtle Beach.

Properly fried okra is not slimey in the least!

If you'd look at the map I linked to, you'd realize that it is indeed one and the same. Notice that while other regions identified themselves as English or German or Mexican or African, those in the South were the ones that identified themselves as simply American.

I always chuckle at those who go on about their southern culture and heritage and flash the Southern Cross....not even realizing that it is the Stars n' Bars that is their Southern heritage....

After all, if you want to flash a flag...at least get the right one. LOL

How many batches do I need to suffer through before I find it properly prepared?

I'll answer: not another one!

Obviously you've only had the above delicacies as prepared by a drooling retard.

Sweet tea has just a hint of sweetness. Grits have the flavor of whatever you put into it. And fried okra isn't slimey.

He must have ment boiled okra. :doubt:

I always chuckle at those who go on about their southern culture and heritage and flash the Southern Cross....not even realizing that it is the Stars n' Bars that is their Southern heritage....

After all, if you want to flash a flag...at least get the right one. LOL

Reminds me of the flaggots debate down here in georgia 8 or 9 years ago.

(flaggots was my word, no offence meant BTW)

How many batches do I need to suffer through before I find it properly prepared?

I'll answer: not another one!

Any Belle properly trained in Southern Heritage can prepare it correctly. Where the hell are you from? :lol:

He must have ment boiled okra. :doubt:

ewwwwwwwww :eusa_sick:

It does however make a great thickener for gumbo. :eusa_drool:

Now that comment right there is full of what I'd call "southern heritage."

I lived in Tampa for four years, and it's what I heard called "the deep south." From what I get, "southern heritage" is based partly in the belief among southerns that "the south will rise again."

Umm anything Tampa and below is not south.
It is a mix of mostly hispanics and such. Not like the rest of the south at all.

I think you'd have a real hard time convincing the southerners I met down there of that, and it's far from "mostly hispanic."

Among the non hispanics yankees seem to outnumber southerners.
Too much "Youse guys" instead of "Y'all".

How can you honestly forget about Southern made Hash browns?

Shame on you sir, shame on you.

I didn't know that there are regional specific differences in hash browns.

Well, In North Carolina it's a big deal. That and Bojangles.

If you're ever on a road trip and you're driving around the south, make sure to stop by Waffle House. Order some Hash browns and try 'em. :cool:

How can you honestly forget about Southern made Hash browns?

Shame on you sir, shame on you.

I didn't know that there are regional specific differences in hash browns.

Well, In North Carolina it's a big deal. That and Bojangles.

If you're ever on a road trip and you're driving around the south, make sure to stop by Waffle House. Order some Hash browns and try 'em. :cool:

You do know where I live...right? :lol:

I can't stand Waffle House. I was spoiled by a local version where I grew up in Florida. Waffle House seems like a rip-off after them. Place was called Corams.

You ordered a trash plate (aka, heavenly hash, aka hashbrowns with the works) you damn sure got what you paid for. Full size dinner plate mounded with the stuff. And I mean HIGH. It would be the equivalent of a quintuple order of hashbrowns at Waffle House which were smothered, covered, etc.

And for about $5.00.

I go to Waffle House, and I look at the smidge they put on my plate, and I'm like "where's the rest, assholes?!?".

Forum List

Back