What is sin.

Colin norris

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2021
As an at theist, how can sin affect me when I don't have a facility to accept it like believers?
I know sin doesn't exist and never did regardless of how it is frivolously dispensed on people. When the Jesus junkies attribute a sin to some one, what is it they feel or suffer? After begging forgiveness, how do they know it has been removed? Does the person who told them they sinned get a similar message to confirm his freedom of this horrible afflictions.

Who graded the severity of sins like venial and mortal and how do I know the category which I so tenderly was gifted by whoever?

Ponder that.

Who graded the severity of sins like venial and mortal and how do I know the category which I so tenderly was gifted by whoever?
Mortal sins are those that bring ruin to another's life. Murder is the first that comes to mind; but adultery, lies, sexual sin against a child, kidnapping would be example of grave sins.

Other than that, sin is best defined as "missing the mark". What is the best you are able to do for others? How close did you come to your best?

Where do you fall on the scale of loving others? How close do you come on your own personal scale of giving your best to others in your interactions? That's something only you can measure.

After begging forgiveness, how do they know it has been removed?
I can't think of a single Gospel story where anyone had to beg Jesus for forgiveness. Often before anyone said much more than a word, Jesus announced, "Your sins are forgiven." His good news of "Sins are forgiven" is what took him to the cross.

Repentance (turning away from) for the forgiveness of sins. If anyone feels they have done something wrong, then they are to quit doing it and replace it with a better habit. That is repentance that results in the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus also made mention of remaining aware of times that someone may be holding something against us. Instead of trying to reconcile with God, we are to first go to anyone who has something against us and reconcile with them before returning to reconcile matters with God.

As an at theist, how can sin affect me when I don't have a facility to accept it like believers?
I know sin doesn't exist and never did regardless of how it is frivolously dispensed on people. When the Jesus junkies attribute a sin to some one, what is it they feel or suffer? After begging forgiveness, how do they know it has been removed? Does the person who told them they sinned get a similar message to confirm his freedom of this horrible afflictions.

Ponder that.

I'm assuming you meant atheist ... so, no, religious law doesn't apply to you ... go have sex with someone you're not married to and see if lightning bolts strike you dead ... you might get The Clap, but nothing a massive shot of antibiotics won't clear up ...

Now if you're caught stealing a car, God won't punish you, We the People certainly will ... maybe that is judgement from God, but there's no law that says you have to believe that ... and indeed it is a jury of your peers who convict you, not any church ...

Not many people can forgive themselves for their mistakes, transgressions or character flaws ... living a life of regret and shame ... I hate myself for walking away from the bookie with $1,000 in my pocket, worst mistake I've ever made ... Netherlands at 20 to 1 to win the Brazil World Cup and I had $50,000 available on my debit card ... what an idiot I was ... unforgivable ...

I'm fine if you don't accept sin as defined in the Bible ... but if you break into my house at night, I'll have Brenda make a half dozen bullet holes in your upper torso ... "all God's judgements are righteous and true" ...

Yes, Brenda is my gun, stop looking at me strange ...

Ponder that.
sin is - evil. best to lose it than die in sin.

• Banned
I can't think of a single Gospel story where anyone had to beg Jesus for forgiveness. Often before anyone said much more than a word, Jesus announced, "Your sins are forgiven." His good news of "Sins are forgiven" is what took him to the cross.

Repentance (turning away from) for the forgiveness of sins. If anyone feels they have done something wrong, then they are to quit doing it and replace it with a better habit. That is repentance that results in the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus also made mention of remaining aware of times that someone may be holding something against us. Instead of trying to reconcile with God, we are to first go to anyone who has something against us and reconcile with them before returning to reconcile matters with God.

You define sin as certain actions and thoughts etc. My point is who defines it to me if I'm an atheist? Who tells you if you have sinned?
Sin is a very intelligent loose term and a phsycological threat used by religion to control gullible believers.
As an atheists it's impossible for me to sin. Doing what's illegal is settled by the courts but compounding the crime by labelling it sin is worthless outside religion.
Theres ittle doubt it's a frame of mind invented by religion and the fact it is mentioned in the bible and no where else in society proves that. Courts don't convict on sins.
So returning to my original question, it's absurd to think it actually exists.

You define sin as certain actions and thoughts etc. My point is who defines it to me if I'm an atheist? Who tells you if you have sinned?
Sin is a very intelligent loose term and a phsycological threat used by religion to control gullible believers.
As an atheists it's impossible for me to sin. Doing what's illegal is settled by the courts but compounding the crime by labelling it sin is worthless outside religion.
Theres ittle doubt it's a frame of mind invented by religion and the fact it is mentioned in the bible and no where else in society proves that. Courts don't convict on sins.
A criminal act is a crime against society.

Sin takes a look at not only the harm that is done to another, but harm that is done to oneself, particularly one's soul/spirit. Lies can damage the reputation of another, but it also makes the liar into someone who cannot be trusted. Being disrespectful to parents can hurt them, but it also damages your own relationship with them and often with other family members. Yet the police will not come knocking at your door for lying or doing something dishonorable to your parents.

Sin has a lot to do with devaluing the relationship you have with your own self, of breaking the code that you live by.

You haven't explained your code, but many of the atheists I know say there code is similar to the medical code: First, do no harm. Should you do some minor deed that hurts or harms, you might think of it as a small failure of your code. People of faith would nod in understanding--for it is what they might call a sin.

I'm betting, that like people of faith, you believe that small failures are forgiven and you work to do better the next time.

• Banned
A criminal act is a crime against society.

Sin takes a look at not only the harm that is done to another, but harm that is done to oneself, particularly one's soul/spirit. Lies can damage the reputation of another, but it also makes the liar into someone who cannot be trusted. Being disrespectful to parents can hurt them, but it also damages your own relationship with them and often with other family members. Yet the police will not come knocking at your door for lying or doing something dishonorable to your parents.

Sin has a lot to do with devaluing the relationship you have with your own self, of breaking the code that you live by.

You haven't explained your code, but many of the atheists I know say there code is similar to the medical code: First, do no harm. Should you do some minor deed that hurts or harms, you might think of it as a small failure of your code. People of faith would nod in understanding--for it is what they might call a sin.

I'm betting, that like people of faith, you believe that small failures are forgiven and you work to do better the next time.

You said sin takes a look. That's assuming sin is a brain and capable of thought.
How ridiculous. Why do you always refer to these mysterious God things as if it were material and real? You cannot possibly know what sin thinks. It isn't written any where that sin has its own thought process let alone that it exists at all. You don't know it or ever interacted with it so don't give me That rubbish as if it is a part of life.

My question was quite clear regarding it's validity and as usual you chimed with some hideous religious scenario.
You still think you have unique access to all things associated with religious connections.
You don't and that's a fact.

"Sin has a lot to do with devaluing the relationship you have with your own self, of breaking the code that you live by. "

What a load of rubbish. As an atheist l have no code to live by nor am I devaluing myself. How do you dream this crap up?
You say anything to connect it to a god and simultaneously make a fool of yourself.

I had a dig with you a while ago. I really thought you wouldn't be silly enough to have another crack at me. You will never convince me Of any religious theories you have that apply to the human race.

You said sin takes a look. That's assuming sin is a brain and capable of thought.
You don't believe in sin, so I am trying to keep that in mind. In some denominations believers think of sin not as an instant happening, over and done, but being in sin. Being in sin means the sinner takes a look and the situation s/he is in. What is sin doing to another; what is sin doing to self. It is still the brain/thoughts of the sinner that is in play.

You still think you have unique access to all things associated with religious connections.
Only in the same way that when a person is playing badminton they have access to the equipment, court, rules, and talents associated with badminton.

As an atheist l have no code to live by nor am I devaluing myself. How do you dream this crap up?
You do not get up in the morning, do not bathe, arrive at any place on time, contribute to a job or study? You do not interact with anyone? Do you help yourself to whatever you want, or do you pay a fair price for it?

I really thought you wouldn't be silly enough to have another crack at me. You will never convince me Of any religious theories you have that apply to the human race
Shrug. I never took a first crack at you...at least I don't consider exchanging different perspectives as "taking cracks". I am more than glad to hear I'll never convince you of anything because if I thought I was in danger of doing that, I would stop conversing with you. Immediately. I know how I think. My only interest is in what you think. Should you ever start thinking like me, we're done. You are only interesting when you are being you, not if you ever try to be a poor imitation of me and my beliefs.

I really thought you wouldn't be silly enough to have another crack at me. You will never convince me Of any religious theories you have that apply to the human race
Shrug. I never took a first crack at you...at least I don't consider exchanging different perspectives as "taking cracks". I am more than glad to hear I'll never convince you of anything because if I thought I was in danger of doing that, I would stop conversing with you. Immediately. I know how I think. My only interest is in what you think. Should you ever start thinking like me, we're done. You are only interesting when you are being you, not if you ever try to be a poor imitation of me and my beliefs.

All you done is divert and reject my opinion. None of my questions were answered.
The point bring, you actually believe sin is real and it thinks. How can you arrive at that? How can you possibly have knowledge of such a fantasy?
Even if you believe it exists it's arrogant to extend it to an atheist as if it is compulsory for everyone.

Believe me, I don't ever want to think like you. In my mind, you don't think. Your paranoia about the existence of God etc proves that.
What I can glean from most godbotherers is their desire to convert atheists to their delusions. You do it all the time to others.
It always returns to the same thing. There's absolutely no evidence of anything to which you can attach all these miraculous events, sins. Etc to.
Nothing but pure faith.

As an atheist l have no code to live by nor am I devaluing myself. How do you dream this crap up?
You do not get up in the morning, do not bathe, arrive at any place on time, contribute to a job or study? You do not interact with anyone? Do you help yourself to whatever you want, or do you pay a fair price for it?

Don't be childish. The code you originally referred to was one of ethics and morals etc. Don't change it to something else because I denounced it.

You don't believe in sin, so I am trying to keep that in mind. In some denominations believers think of sin not as an instant happening, over and done, but being in sin. Being in sin means the sinner takes a look and the situation s/he is in. What is sin doing to another; what is sin doing to self. It is still the brain/thoughts of the sinner that is in play.

What a load of rubbish. Sin doesn't exist. You might call it guilt or reflection on previous deeds. But give er me That crap it is a physical thing that can be touched and felt and administered by anything. Get real.

Only in the same way that when a person is playing badminton they have access to the equipment, court, rules, and talents associated with badminton.

No it's not the same. You made a ridiculous statement about sin taking a look. You have also expressed knowledge about how God thinks. O tend to believe you would hallucinate you seen God.
You don't have access to one single thing about any God and you know it. Its not good enough for you to be a believer. Now you want to crank your connection to God with these unique access as to his personal traits and thoughts. How brazen are you. A grown human being fabricating that crap. You're delusional so.

Reality is independent of what one believes. You might believe that God does not exist or that sin does not exist, but if God actually exists, then your actions have consequences that are eternal in nature regardless of what you believe. Sin is opposing the will of God. God has told us what He expects of us and if we don't keep the will of God, we commit sin. You cannot simply choose to not believe and be off the hook if God is real. Your eternal destiny is tied to your behavior if God exists and no amount of disbelief can change the fact. If God doesn't exist you are off the hook, but if he does exist your eternal destiny is being weighed in the balance. Truth is the knowledge of thing as they really are, were, and are to come. To me it is important that we seek after truth. I suggest that you seek after the truth as to whether God is real or not.

Reality is independent of what one believes. You might believe that God does not exist or that sin does not exist, but if God actually exists, then your actions have consequences that are eternal in nature regardless of what you believe. Sin is opposing the will of God. God has told us what He expects of us and if we don't keep the will of God, we commit sin. You cannot simply choose to not believe and be off the hook if God is real. Your eternal destiny is tied to your behavior if God exists and no amount of disbelief can change the fact. If God doesn't exist you are off the hook, but if he does exist your eternal destiny is being weighed in the balance. Truth is the knowledge of thing as they really are, were, and are to come. To me it is important that we seek after truth. I suggest that you seek after the truth as to whether God is real or not.

God has told us what He expects of us and if we don't keep the will of God, we commit sin.

That's my point. God has not told you anything. How arrogant are you? You have read it in your hideous bible.

You talk about the reality of God like it's fact. If God is real, as you say, but its not. You have no evidence of it but still conduct yourselves as if it were and interfere with others lives to the point of announcing our " sins". Furthermore, no amount of belief will make God real.
But you say you searching for the truth yet simultaneously believing in immaculate conception and virgin births and you call that truth???
Why can't you see how ridiculous that is?

I suggest you seek the truth and your first enquiry should be that evidence is found and verified. I know you can't which is why I keep asking. Your statement implies that my searching for factual evidence is well behind yours because you are speaking as if you have it when I know you Don't.
How can you have knowledge "of things to come"? Can you see the vain presumptuous nature if the hideous statement? Its almost like you are chastising me for not believing.

I wo yukdnt reply if I were you. Its about now you realise I'm not the stupid idiot you think. You myths and lies won't wash with me son.
I'm very good at this religious debate.
Every time you reply I get another whack at you. Keep going.

John 8
New International Version
8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.(A)

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them.(B) 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women.(C) Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap,(D) in order to have a basis for accusing him.(E)

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone(F) at her.”(G) 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,”(H) Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”(I)

Forum List

Back