What is a “well-regulated militia” and why are we so sure it refers to everyone?

But why can we be sure the context of the right to bear arms applies to any context outside of a well regulated militia?
Said another way, if you're not part of a "well regulated militia" can you own arms?

If so, why didn't they just say that it is the right of all people to own and bear arms?

My take on gun control would be highly restrictive but would still definitely fall short of confiscation of current ownership or banning all of them altogether. Of course, if another leftie simply suggested something like limiting capacity OR strict enforcement of national or state background checks is still automatically equated to the mentality of confiscation or banning of all firearms. I mean this shouldn’t be hard to figure out. You all can’t approach the subject with any rationality.
Your vagaries do not spell out your position. If you are not a gun grabber it should not be difficult to express in detail what is 'sensible '.

Your vagaries do not spell out your position. If you are not a gun grabber it should not be difficult to express in detail what is 'sensible '.
Again my position doesn’t need to be relevant to the point. Any gun control ideas, regardless of how basic and simple they are, are still met with immediate knee jerk condemnation about the 2nd amendment being overturned.

I personally would like to ban future sales of semi-automatic weapons. Strict background checking. Anyone buying a gun must take lessons that prove his or her competency of using it. Psychological evaluation from a psychiatrist. Veterans may bypass the competency evaluation, however. They would still be subject to the rest.

Now I know your response to this will be to go ape shit and completely ignore the point I made in my first paragraph so it’s pointless having the conversation to begin with.

Lol you righttards really struggle with basic nuance huh?

There is no nuance.

It is my inviolable natural right to protect myself, my family, and my property.

By any means necessary.

It’s something beyond your comprehension I guess. Pushing for some level of gun control does not automatically equate to supporting gun confiscation and banning all guns altogether. It’s such a stupid, emotional, juvenile notion.
There is no room for debate here.

Thou shalt not infringe.

Again my position doesn’t need to be relevant to the point. Any gun control ideas, regardless of how basic and simple they are, are still met with immediate knee jerk condemnation about the 2nd amendment being overturned.

I personally would like to ban future sales of semi-automatic weapons. Strict background checking. Anyone buying a gun must take lessons that prove his or her competency of using it. Psychological evaluation from a psychiatrist. Veterans may bypass the competency evaluation, however. They would still be subject to the rest.

Now I know your response to this will be to go ape shit and completely ignore the point I made in my first paragraph so it’s pointless having the conversation to begin with.
Future conversation is indeed pointless. You have no comprehension of what constitutes a right and would gladly relegate rights into paltry privileges. Folks like you only solidify the demand for an amendment as there is no compromise possible.

My take on gun control would be highly restrictive but would still definitely fall short of confiscation of current ownership or banning all of them altogether. Of course, if another leftie simply suggested something like limiting capacity OR strict enforcement of national or state background checks is still automatically equated to the mentality of confiscation or banning of all firearms. I mean this shouldn’t be hard to figure out. You all can’t approach the subject with any rationality.
How 'bout, instead of enacting new laws, we fully enforce the ones already on the books?

Future conversation is indeed pointless. You have no comprehension of what constitutes a right and would gladly relegate rights into paltry privileges. Folks like you only solidify the demand for an amendment as there is no compromise possible.
Israel has all of these laws but includes the age minimum of 27. It’s still a politically stable first world country that offers sufficient personal freedoms in general like we do. Hell their citizens are happier on average.

Which has nothing to do with the US Constitution. Get an amendment.
Lol it doesn’t have to. The point is, there aren’t detrimental effects to democracy, personal happiness and personal freedom in general. Israel does just fine with such laws.

The rightwing will cite court precedent for this issue, but they don’t actually offer an explanation for why it should be interpreted this way.

Should this apply to 5 year olds? Should it be made legal for kids to buy firearms from a licensed firearm business because of how this is interpreted?
So I believe you should own a firearm?

No, but the Constitution grants you that right even though I feel you would do more to yourself than the person you are aiming at…

As for kids owning a firearm that is the parent choice and if the State allows it…

Lol it doesn’t have to. The point is, there aren’t detrimental effects to democracy, personal happiness and personal freedom in general. Israel does just fine with such laws.
I would be living there already for years if their firearms laws were not more Draconian than New York & California combined

So I believe you should own a firearm?

No, but the Constitution grants you that right even though I feel you would do more to yourself than the person you are aiming at…

As for kids owning a firearm that is the parent choice and if the State allows it…
Okay but if any additional gun control is unconstitutional, should we not just let kids own firearms for the sake of how the constitution works? Kids don’t need permission to have free speech. They have that regardless of what their parents think.

I would be living there already for years if their firearms laws were not more Draconian than New York & California combined
NY and Cali have laws of an age minimum of 27? How about a psychiatrist eval requirement? Competency requirement that involves taking classes? Israel has all of that.

NY and Cali have laws of an age minimum of 27? How about a psychiatrist eval requirement? Competency requirement that involves taking classes? Israel has all of that.
Immigrant can’t own a firearm ( 22 Rifle ) for 4 years , after that time frame you get an interview and if you speak Hebrew better than your interviewer then you may be able to get a 22 LR Rifle ( not Centerfire caliber ) and don’t even think of a Handgun as that is out of the question .

Immigrant can’t own a firearm ( 22 Rifle ) for 4 years , after that time frame you get an interview and if you speak Hebrew better than your interviewer then you may be able to get a 22 LR Rifle ( not Centerfire caliber ) and don’t even think of a Handgun as that is out of the question .
So what is your point exactly?

Forum List

Back