What have you contributed to online discussion?

Man of Ethics

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2021
Nanaoessay 1: Measuring our Online Influence.

Below, I provide a few metrics by which anyone can measure how much they have contributed to online discussion. I understand that most people have made considerable offline contributions to Society. Popular online influencers can make vast positive and negative contributions to Society.

A very important metric by which an influencer's impact is measured is the number of pageviews they have received. This is a very crude measure since different pageviews have vastly different impacts. Nevertheless, it is a good measure. Andrew Tate has generated about 25 billion pageviews on TikTok before #andrewtate hashtag was banned. He also generated a few billion pageviews on other media. Thus his impact is vast.

How many pageviews does an average forum participant generate? As I have mentioned elsewhere, on average 1 post = 1.2 visits = 19 person minutes of media consumption= 20 page views. Nanoessays generally have more influence then simple posts. During the last two decades, I have made about 30,000 posts on various forums. During this time period, I have written about 150 nanoessays and a few short stories. That is equivalent to about 600,000 pageviews. Overall my impact has been 50,000 times less then that of Andrew Tate and about 300 times less then that of a prolific YouTube influencer. An average prolific poster on Forums, Reddit, or other Social Media has about 1 million page views.

How many people have we influenced? This is very hard to measure or estimate. An average person consumes about 2,500 hours of media in a year or 200,000 hours of media in their lifetime. That is equivalent to about 12 million pageviews within their life. My semi-educated guess is that an equivalent of "influencing one person" is equivalent to about 50,000 to 100,000 page views. Does anyone have a better estimate?

Using that measure, it would mean that I have influenced 5-10 people, an average prolific poster has influenced 10-20 people, and a popular YouTube influencer has influenced a few thousand people. Overall, an average poster expands enormous work to generate little influence. Nevertheless, this influence is substantial for a private individual.

Last edited:

Below, I provide a few metrics by which anyone can measure how much they have contributed to online discussion. I understand that most people have made considerable offline contributions to Society. Popular online influencers can make vast positive and negative contributions to Society.

A very important metric by which an influencer's impact is measured is the number of pageviews they have received. This is a very crude measure since different pageviews have vastly different impacts. Nevertheless, it is a good measure. Andrew Tate has generated about 25 billion pageviews on TikTok before #andrewtate hashtag was banned. He also generated a few billion pageviews on other media. Thus his impact is vast.

How many pageviews does an average forum participant generate? As I have mentioned elsewhere, on average 1 post = 1.2 visits = 19 person minutes of media consumption= 20 page views. Nanoessays generally have more influence then simple posts. During the last two decades, I have made about 30,000 posts on various forums. During this time period, I have written about 150 nanoessays and a few short stories. That is equivalent to about 600,000 pageviews. Overall my impact has been 50,000 times less then that of Andrew Tate and about 300 times less then that of a prolific YouTube influencer. An average prolific poster on Forums, Reddit, or other Social Media has about 1 million page views.

How many people have we influenced? This is very hard to measure or estimate. An average person consumes about 2,500 hours of media in a year or 200,000 hours of media in their lifetime. That is equivalent to about 12 million pageviews within their life. My semi-educated guess is that an equivalent of "influencing one person" is equivalent to about 50,000 to 100,000 page views. Does anyone have a better estimate?

Using that measure, it would mean that I have influenced 5-10 people, an average prolific poster has influenced 10-20 people, and a popular YouTube influencer has influenced a few thousand people. Overall, an average poster expands enormous work to generate little influence. Nevertheless, this influence is substantial for a private individual.

Huh. I don't think about "influencing people" online. I know prominent social media "stars" are called "influencers" but when you think about it--that's strange. And so 21st century.

You can sell people stuff. Educate them. Persuade. Entertain. What's an "influence", someone just saw your page? Who cares about that? Just getting eyeballs on your stuff is good? I see plenty of stuff online that makes me laugh or snort and not in a good way. That's still considered an "influence"?

What a time to be alive.

You can sell people stuff. Educate them. Persuade. Entertain. What's an "influence", someone just saw your page? Who cares about that? Just getting eyeballs on your stuff is good? I see plenty of stuff online that makes me laugh or snort and not in a good way. That's still considered an "influence"?
Do you think your or anyone's Social Media posts have either positive or negative effect on Society or at least on some individuals?

Do you think your or anyone's Social Media posts have either positive or negative effect on Society or at least on some individuals?

Sure, I just typed that:

Educate
Persuade
Market
Entertain

What's the obsession with just getting eyeballs? Is that what "influence" means?

If so I don't even think it's true. The brain dumps a lot of stuff--a lot of stuff. Just seeing something or scanning it doesn't mean you're really "influenced"

I first posted this in Feb 1999:

Economic Wargames Opinion: (no title)

The 11/99 on Ethical Spectacle has been the longest on line. It has appeared and disappeared from a number of sites. I have also been stalked by someone who called himself Timgar Posse. I actually have trouble understanding how people get so many different perspectives on a short essay.

My influence is by telling people, constantly, about Proportional Representation.

I view my brilliance as only matched by John Lennon , John Lemon , Baby Jesus and George Michael

But I remain humble

Mainstream media is nothing i trust, and so surfin' the 'net becomes akin to those smokey bars , no matter how bizarre they may appear , where someone eventually stumbles upon the truth
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f3754573056697437384b393734773d3d2d3738323738333633382e313563333334313839353131643864383137323936383232323439382e676966

~S~

i have millions of followers on social media who worship my feet and hang on my every word

Mainstream media is nothing i trust, and so surfin' the 'net becomes akin to those smokey bars , no matter how bizarre they may appear , where someone eventually stumbles upon the truth
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f3754573056697437384b393734773d3d2d3738323738333633382e313563333334313839353131643864383137323936383232323439382e676966

~S~

The truth is all around you at all times ... It is called "reality".
But ... I can agree with you in the sense that you are much more likely to discover it in the real world ... Even if it is places like a bar.

You still have to look out for the influence peddlers in a bar.
They can lead you to a good time ... A trip to the parking lot with questionable consequences ... Or both for that matter.

I am one of the most influential posters as measured scientifically. Somewhere around a 37 on the dichtor scale which measures vexation.

Nice piece and a good example of looking at the subject.

In your opinion ... Are people more often engaging online to tell someone something and influence them ...
Or are they more often sharing ideas and questioning things, looking for opportunities and discovery ... With the intention to actually find the truth in the minutia?

basquebromance ... Feel free to weigh in on that ... If nothing else, you swim in the web ...
Seems to me like you are sometimes questioning things ... Are you searching for the truth, or are you just using the tools and having fun?

revolutions have started in bars Blackone

~S~

Don't talk to me about that until you are ready to fight.
You are correct ... But I am not looking for a jail cell ... I cannot say I trust our Federal Agencies ...
I would rather handle it on the field if it must be ... Better chance of fighting that way.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back