What exactly do you consider "Art"?

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
Personally I'm of the mind that the word art has become meaningless.

When anyone can call themselves an artist and calls their latest piece of crap painting, graffiti, sculpture photo etc a work of art then we have jumped the shark

The Art world is a satire of itself

There are no standards of what makes quality art. It seems to be more about how the artist sells himself more than the quality of his work

It all comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Just because I personally do not like a piece does not mean it is not art. I may not care for your 5 year old stick figure drawing he brings home from school but for the parent it's a great work of art.

I look at what so called artists call art and I just don't get it.

The infamous crucifix in a jar of piss comes to mind. That's not art to me. It's more akin to an unintelligible grunt.

The Art world is a satire of itself

There are no standards of what makes quality art. It seems to be more about how the artist sells himself more than the quality of his work

It all comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Maybe there should be some standards that way when a person breaks those standards in some original and wildly creative way it will be worth while.

Personally I'm of the mind that the word art has become meaningless.

When anyone can call themselves an artist and calls their latest piece of crap painting, graffiti, sculpture photo etc a work of art then we have jumped the shark
I cant properly define it, but i know it when i see it. Even as an atheist, i know full and well that "piss Christ" isnt art. Its just some weirdo who pissed in a jar and put a crucifix in it. That isnt art.

religion.jpg

What do I consider art?

In fact, I could watch it all day.

Hmm, are funny videos art? Acting and movies are considered art, so i guess you cant exclude videos. I suppose anything humorous is art. Then again, if someone farts and it gets a laugh, is it art?

Defining art is hard.

I cant properly define it, but i know it when i see it. Even as an atheist, i know full and well that "piss Christ" isnt art. Its just some weirdo who pissed in a jar and put a crucifix in it. That isnt art.

religion.jpg
I am going to debate my own post now. The more i think about it, maybe this is art, in a roundabout way. The art is the picture itself. If you didnt know that was piss, you might almost find it to be beautiful. They used lighting and a camera to create an ambiance. That is art i guess, but if you just saw a jar of piss with a crucifix in it, you wouldnt see it as art. The lighting and camera work is what makes it art i suppose.

I am going to debate my own post now. The more i think about it, maybe this is art, in a roundabout way. The art is the picture itself. If you didnt know that was piss, you might almost find it to be beautiful. They used lighting and a camera to create an ambiance. That is art i guess, but if you just saw a jar of piss with a crucifix in it, you wouldnt see it as art.

It's not your place to define what others see as art.

religion.jpg
Piss Christ is an offensive political statement against Christianity

If art is intended to draw an emotional reaction in the viewer, Piss Christ draws an irate response

I am going to debate my own post now. The more i think about it, maybe this is art, in a roundabout way. The art is the picture itself. If you didnt know that was piss, you might almost find it to be beautiful. They used lighting and a camera to create an ambiance. That is art i guess, but if you just saw a jar of piss with a crucifix in it, you wouldnt see it as art.
But is the photo itself from a technical point of view that innovative?

There are literally millions of photos and paintings of the crucifixion this one doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever

Piss Christ is an offensive political statement against Christianity

If art is intended to draw an emotional reaction in the viewer, Piss Christ draws an irate response

I saw it as a statement against the political aspect of Christianity.

It's not your place to define what others see as art.
It is though. You cant claim that the shit you just took in a toilet is art. It isnt ALL a matter of opinion, though i would agree that personal opinion certainly plays a big role, but there are limits..

Forum List

Back