What exactly do you consider "Art"?

But is the photo itself from a technical point of view that innovative?

There are literally millions of photos and paintings of the crucifixion this one doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever
It doesnt need to be innovative to be art, as every parent's refrigerator can prove. :laugh:

Piss Christ is an offensive political statement against Christianity

If art is intended to draw an emotional reaction in the viewer, Piss Christ draws an irate response
If i shit on a Quran and put it behind museum glass, is it art? It would certainly draw an irate response, but is it actual art? I dont personally think so.

Piss Christ is an offensive political statement against Christianity

If art is intended to draw an emotional reaction in the viewer, Piss Christ draws an irate response

Correct, a statement, not art.

The left has politicized art.

and redefined it, obviously...expect FIB raids on noncompliant art stores and dealers.

What a 5 year old does in school isn't really art.

I disagree, it may be poorly rendered, but it IS art.

However, when you see a picture, done by an adult, that looks like it was done by a child.....well, then I think you may have a point.

It is like writing a novel that is intended to offend Christians and make them irate.
It is still a novel

Same as that offensive art
Here is a really good example of something offensive. Someone used a pen, like an artist, to draw this up sign. They created it with ink using their own imagination, but is it art? I cant call THAT art.

die-hard-3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a really good example of something offensive. Someone used a pen, like an artist, to draw this up sign. They created it with ink using their own imagination, but is it art? I cant call THAT art.

die-hard-3.jpg

That was in a Die Hard movie

That was in a Die Hard movie
Yes, but someone made that sign for the movie. They drew it with their own hands, using ink and their imagination. Is it art? The movie itself is art, but is the actual sign a work of art?

Personally I'm of the mind that the word art has become meaningless.

When anyone can call themselves an artist and calls their latest piece of crap painting, graffiti, sculpture photo etc a work of art then we have jumped the shark

That means you don't like it. But that's not how art works.

I don't know the official definition of art, but would guess something close to "a creation not meant for function, but for beauty or to make a statement".

Does not say, "everyone must like it".

That means you don't like it. But that's not how art works.

I don't know the official definition of art, but would guess something close to "a creation not meant for function, but for beauty or to make a statement".

Does not say, "everyone must like it".
I like your attempt at defining it. I think its a decent shot at it, but even your definition is flawed. I suspect that any written definition will be.

Is smearing shit on to bible pages "art"? You could do so to make a statement, but is it art?

I like your attempt at defining it. I think its a decent shot at it, but even your definition is flawed. I suspect that any written definition will be.

Is smearing shit on to bible pages "art"? You could do so to make a statement, but is it art?

Well I looked up two definitions and both used the terms "skill and creative imagination". So by that definition, I would say no. Your example definitely fails the first.

But many art people do not like still requires skill and creative imagination.

Well I looked up two definitions and both used the terms "skill and creative imagination". So by that definition, I would say no. Your example definitely fails the first.

But many art people do not like still requires skill and creative imagination.
Hmmm, "skill". I think thats a pretty good starting point at least. That would rule out shitting on a quran or bible as art. It does take some skill to make that offensive sign in the Die Hard movie though, so is IT art?

Forum List

Back