Zone1 What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

Allegedly about 14 bill years ago all of the matter and energy in the universe was concentrated into a tiny ball (Cosmic Egg)....it suddenly exploded, no one knows how or why, it just went BANG!!!!! And from all this violence and chaos the universe came into existence causing the eventual creation of all the Galaxies, stars, and planets. All known physical elements came from just 2 gases, Hydrogen and Helium.
Sorry I missed this lengthy diatribe yesterday. Aside from the typical attempts by a Christian to insult non-believers, it covers just too many topics to address, so I've just chosen the above.

The 'Big Bang' is just one theory among many and by no means can it be clutched by Christians as the beginning they want to attribute to their imaginary god. Indeed, any time the church tries to own science, as with ID, it falls into a trap, as science moves on while religious beliefs stand still.

Already science is discovering that the 'Big Bang' is predated!

Whether we had the Big Bang or whether other theories are closer to the truth hardly matters. What matters is that God can do a big bang or some other thing.. In other words, God created the universe, whether we understand how He did that or not.. and I laugh thinking at how some humans think they can understand God 100% (just them thinking maybe they can some day or whatever is... ridiculous)

Whether we had the Big Bang or whether other theories are closer to the truth hardly matters. What matters is that God can do a big bang or some other thing.. In other words, God created the universe, whether we understand how He did that or not.. and I laugh thinking at how some humans think they can understand God 100% (just them thinking maybe they can some day or whatever is... ridiculous)
I'm not suggesting that the 'Big Bang' didn't happen.

But I don't see how anything can be gained by discussing it further with you. You seem to believe that posting volumes of religious fantasy rhetoric is going to convert me.

Stop it! I've never tried to convert you or any other Christian.

I'm not suggesting that the 'Big Bang' didn't happen.

But I don't see how anything can be gained by discussing it further with you. You seem to believe that posting volumes of religious fantasy rhetoric is going to convert me.

Stop it! I've never tried to convert you or any other Christian.
what a joke. I do not try to convert people. I tell them the truth and let them decide for themselves. If they reject the truth, that's on them

I would agree with that and only add that we atheists also have non-material needs. Otherwise, life in the here and now is how *we live our lives, with no expectations of an afterlife.

*we in the sense that I take the liberty to speak for other atheists who may not agree that there is no afterlife?
Thank you for agreeing with me that the lives of atheists have no higher meaning or higher purpose.

Thank you for agreeing with me that the lives of atheists have no higher meaning or higher purpose.
The thing is Ding, whether atheist or Christian, our common higher purpose is not an imaginary god, hell, and heaven.

The thing is Ding, whether atheist or Christian, our common higher purpose is not an imaginary god, hell, and heaven.
The higher purpose and meaning for Christians is a Christ conscience. Atheists have no higher purpose and meaning other than satisfying their material needs and primitive instincts.

The higher purpose and meaning for Christians is a Christ conscience. Atheists have no higher purpose and meaning other than satisfying their material needs and primitive instincts.
I would suggest that atheists have everything but an imaginary christ consciousness.

Did you hear the latest from science that even galaxies likely existed before the BB?

I would suggest that atheists have everything but an imaginary christ consciousness.

Did you hear the latest from science that even galaxies likely existed before the BB?
Again... Atheists have no higher purpose and meaning other than satisfying their material needs and primitive instincts.

you like to insult Christians

you presume that Christ "consciousness" in them is "imaginary"

how utterly presumptuous.

You are no one's judge, much less jury and executioner

And as I have said before, Jesus Christ is more real to me than any human being I have ever met or ever will meet. In fact, most human beings, as the saints have said, are on their way to Hell... FAR FAR from Jesus, obviously.

BTW that's one thing I hate about America. These days we are taught to be capitalists, make all the money you want... live it up.. party on the weekend... change your gender! (NOT that capitalism is all bad. It's the best system we know of, but humans always abuse good things...). But in any case, it's the message: Do whatever the hell you want...

All this leads people to Hell. but few seem to be fighting against these trends.

Nice how Donald ignores the most important part of my post (figures)

namely this

And as I have said before, Jesus Christ is more real to me than any human being

And they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid. And he took again the twelve, and began to tell them what things should happen unto him, saying, behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles:

Christ's death was the will of the Jews. Those Roman soldiers had no idea why the Jews wanted him dead. They did not know what they were doing when they nailed him to the tree.
Here's someone, namely, Roman historian Tacitus (b. ca. 56 - ca. 125), who didn't have an agenda to pin the murder of Jesus on the Jewish people: "Christus . . . was put to death by Pontius Pilate." -- From Tacitus' book, Annals 15:44.

Here's someone, namely, Roman historian Tacitus (b. ca. 56 - ca. 125), who didn't have an agenda to pin the murder of Jesus on the Jewish people: "Christus . . . was put to death by Pontius Pilate." -- From Tacitus' book, Annals 15:44.

"Christus . . . was put to death by Pontius Pilate."

if the point was to return in 3 days to prove they were what they never claimed - why not just step down from the cross to prove without doubt who they really were with the most impact than a 3 day hiatus ...

the jews had the proverbial knife to the back of pilate, jealousy ruled the day to prove the lesser of the two.

If you understood the science of the big bang and where the radiation came from you would know you were wrong.

You couldn't figure it out from the link I provided?
You need to watch How the Universe Works Season 7 Episode 6 Did the Big Bang Really Happen?

You act like the Big Bang is a fact and you fully understand it. You could be wrong. We know what happened soon after the big bang until now but we don't know what happened when the big bang happened or what was happening around it when it did happen.

One thing I find interesting. If the big bang started at one tiny spot and created all you see, where did the Big Bang happen? Did it happen to the left of us over there? Down there? In the direction of Alpha Centauri? No. It happened everywhere. I don't get that. You would think you could work back the clock on a model of what the universe looks like now and work backward until you find exactly where the Big Bang happened. But there is no such place.

You need to watch How the Universe Works Season 7 Episode 6 Did the Big Bang Really Happen?

You act like the Big Bang is a fact and you fully understand it. You could be wrong. We know what happened soon after the big bang until now but we don't know what happened when the big bang happened or what was happening around it when it did happen.

One thing I find interesting. If the big bang started at one tiny spot and created all you see, where did the Big Bang happen? Did it happen to the left of us over there? Down there? In the direction of Alpha Centauri? No. It happened everywhere. I don't get that. You would think you could work back the clock on a model of what the universe looks like now and work backward until you find exactly where the Big Bang happened. But there is no such place.
Cosmic microwave background radiation.

I love how all these theories pop up that ignore the CMB. Sow me one of these theories that explains where the CMB came from and then we can talk.

I love how all these theories pop up that ignore the CMB. Sow me one of these theories that explains where the CMB came from and then we can talk.

show where that is relevant for the presence of anything prior to the moment of singularity ...
obviously where it came from was the reversion back to matter for the continuous bb cyclical event.

All that does is helps us learn how the early universe was formed. It doesn't answer all our questions.

show where that is relevant for the presence of anything prior to the moment of singularity ...
obviously where it came from was the reversion back to matter for the continuous bb cyclical event.
And where did the big bang happen? Did it start off in our galaxy or another galaxy? Or did it start everywhere? And what was here before the big bang? We don't know these things and probably never will.

In fact we don't even know what happened 1 minute after or before the big bang. All we know is something like what happened 100,000 years after the big bang.

But this yahoo thinks he knows.

The scientists on these shows admit there is so much we don't know and some of our theories may not even be right. A lot of scientists are starting to question the big bang or what we think we know about it.

And we don't know what lies beyond our observable universe. Will our universe continue to go or slow down and contract eventually. We don't know.

We used to think the universe was constant and forever and would be here forever. That was back when we said MUST BE GOD to everything we didn't know.

Forum List

Back