Zone1 What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

notmyfault2020

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2022
What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

Well, one thing that comes to mind is this:

Humans do not know the hideousness of Hell that awaits them if they do not repent. Some of us have a glimpse of how hideous it is

See Faustina Diary 741

OMG doesn't begin to say it

You don't even want Nazi Pelousi going to a place like that

Last edited:
the hideousness of Hell that awaits them if they do not repent. Some of us have a glimpse of how hideous it is
For me this is cult nonsense and dangerous -- some weak , gullible and unbalanced people could take it literally . No different from stupid people frightening others with fake nonsense about pandemic BS and nuclear warfare .Bullying weaker minded people

What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

Humans do not know the hideousness of Hell that awaits them if they do not repent. Some of us have a glimpse of how hideous it is

See Faustina Diary 741

He was specifically talking about the soldiers who were performing their duties from their leaders. He may have known that if they had the opportunity to know who he was and the Gospel he brought to the earth, they would not be killing him or others. That means that all those who have died without the knowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord and didn't know the fullness of the Gospel will have that opportunity in the hereafter. In first Peter chapter 3, Jesus goes to those who were thought to be evil because they had no opportunity to know God because of the wickedness around them and he preaches to them in spirit prison.

See Faustina Diary 741

full passage

The Crucifixion
…33When they came to the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on His right and the other on His left. 34Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up His garments by casting lots. 35The people stood watching, and the rulers sneered at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.”…
Berean Standard Bible · Download

Luke 23:35

He was specifically talking about the soldiers who were performing their duties from their leaders. He may have known that if they had the opportunity to know who he was and the Gospel he brought to the earth, they would not be killing him or others. That means that all those who have died without the knowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord and didn't know the fullness of the Gospel will have that opportunity in the hereafter. In first Peter chapter 3, Jesus goes to those who were thought to be evil because they had no opportunity to know God because of the wickedness around them and he preaches to them in spirit prison.
You are only partially right. but Jesus wants us all to be fully right, so here goes:

Why would Jesus, in His dying breath speak only to those who are murdering Him? He was not. He was speaking to all us sinners. If He were speaking only to the ones killing Him that would tell the whole world that He was focused only on Himself (or people would accuse Him of such.. people accuse Jesus and His people of all kinds of bs)

I was going to write something else but it didn't sound charitable, even though I didn't mean it that way... "Avoid the very appearance of evil" we are told...

Anyhow, you are in the wrong "church" so that is why you get things either wrong or partially wrong... There is only ONE Church and that Church obviously goes back to the time of Christ and the 12.

People don't want to give up their pagan ideas. Death for sin is permanent. There is no eternal torture
Yes there is. Jesus said there is.

"..these [who do not obey His commandments, especially vis a vis charity toward others] will go off into eternal punishment but the righteous: to eternal life" (emphasis added, bracketed: my paraphrase)

Mt 25:31

There are other psgs also

See Faustina Diary 741

Obviously, He meant that they had no comprehension of the impact their actions would have for all mankind throughout all eternity.

full passage

The Crucifixion
…33When they came to the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on His right and the other on His left. 34Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up His garments by casting lots. 35The people stood watching, and the rulers sneered at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.”…
Berean Standard Bible · Download

Luke 23:35
Douay-Rheims Bible
And Jesus said: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. But they, dividing his garments, cast lots.

-from Bible hub

The Douay Rheims is the most reliable Bible on the planet.

and no, I do not say that lightly or with prejudice. I am into objective truth, not opinions (vis a vis Jesus and His teachings/Church... also: politics, so called)

Yes there is. Jesus said there is.

"..these [who do not obey His commandments, especially vis a vis charity toward others] will go off into eternal punishment but the righteous: to eternal life" (emphasis added, bracketed: my paraphrase)

Mt 25:31

There are other psgs also
Death forever IS eternal punishment. the hope of the TRUE Christian is the RESURRECTION from DEATH.

Eternal LIFE is the GIFT of the Creator. We don't come with eternal life without that GIFT

Death forever IS eternal punishment. the hope of the TRUE Christian is the RESURRECTION from DEATH.

Eternal LIFE is the GIFT of the Creator. We don't come with eternal life without that GIFT
This is all a huge LIE and very unbibilical

Death is ceasing to exist.. which means all punishment ceases. How can a non-existing person experience punishment? That makes NO sense at all.

Have you read the post about the Catholic nun, who says she was taken into hell by Jesus himself?

Even Catholics don't have to accept everything a canonized saint has said.. but I believe her. As I said to BackAgain, I have been through many things that totally changed my mind on the ancient teaching of Hell, held, I might add, by the true Church Christ founded for centuries (NOT speaking of the highjacked, anti-Christian Vatican but the true Catholic Church, now in exile)

You should do a thread on why you believe this. You've said this many times
why can't people do their own research? If they don't care enough to find out such things on their own, they will not care if I write such a thread.. (which is kind of a paraphrase of Lk 16:19, I guess)

You are only partially right. but Jesus wants us all to be fully right, so here goes:

Why would Jesus, in His dying breath speak only to those who are murdering Him? He was not. He was speaking to all us sinners. If He were speaking only to the ones killing Him that would tell the whole world that He was focused only on Himself (or people would accuse Him of such.. people accuse Jesus and His people of all kinds of bs)

I was going to write something else but it didn't sound charitable, even though I didn't mean it that way... "Avoid the very appearance of evil" we are told...

Anyhow, you are in the wrong "church" so that is why you get things either wrong or partially wrong... There is only ONE Church and that Church obviously goes back to the time of Christ and the 12.
Let's start with your faulty logic. Who took the cloths off Jesus? The soldiers did as they mocked him. They were doing it because they were ordered to. The people and leaders of those that sent him to his death stood on and watched. It's clear the soldiers divided his cloths and he said they did not know what they were doing because they were ordered to do this. Also, it makes no sense for us to have to repent of our sins if we didn't know what we were doing to sin. His atonement only affects the repentant persons.
Actually, there are like 40,000 different churches say they are Christian. The original Church went into apostacy. How do we know? No more apostles were called after Paul. When John the Revelator was translated (You think he died) that was it. Without apostles and prophets, there is no Church. That's why a Restored Church was needed in 1830. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost called Joseph Smith to be the latter-day Prophet to restore the Church of Jesus Christ or the Kingdom of God on the Earth before the 2nd Coming of Christ. Without prophets and apostles, a church has no Holy Ghost and thus no Priesthood authority for any saving ordinances. Thus, I'm in the right Church and invite you to learn.

Let's start with your faulty logic. Who took the cloths off Jesus? The soldiers did as they mocked him. They were doing it because they were ordered to. The people and leaders of those that sent him to his death stood on and watched. It's clear the soldiers divided his cloths and he said they did not know what they were doing because they were ordered to do this. Also, it makes no sense for us to have to repent of our sins if we didn't know what we were doing to sin. His atonement only affects the repentant persons.
Actually, there are like 40,000 different churches say they are Christian. The original Church went into apostacy. How do we know? No more apostles were called after Paul. When John the Revelator was translated (You think he died) that was it. Without apostles and prophets, there is no Church. That's why a Restored Church was needed in 1830. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost called Joseph Smith to be the latter-day Prophet to restore the Church of Jesus Christ or the Kingdom of God on the Earth before the 2nd Coming of Christ. Without prophets and apostles, a church has no Holy Ghost and thus no Priesthood authority for any saving ordinances. Thus, I'm in the right Church and invite you to learn.
I don't have time right now to read this and don't appreciate being insulted anyway

But Jesus addressed His message to ALL people, not just those who crucified Him

Forum List

Back