What Do Other Communities of Color Say About White Racism?

Well. The Bull Ring is that way --------->

Just whistle.

I'd love nothing more than to take you to school in front of all of your friends and out of the confines of your safe space.

I'll take you to places you're historically afraid to go, and very likely don't even comprehend, if you have the courage to face the truth with regard to why things are the way they are. Oh yes indeed. Plus I can tell you what I really think about you down there, without a nanny coming to your rescue.

See, the problem with you is that you're not interested in solving the root issue. Heck, you don't even grasp the root issue of inequality in society. You just want a piece of the same pie. Which makes you no different. It renders you just another part of the problem.

But if you want an audience, I'll give you one. And if you're interested in me and what I think, you can show us all your wisdom in all of its glory. But be forewarned. I can be kind of a dick about it. This is, of course, a choice. Do or do not...
No you won't. If you want to discuss THIS topic, you can take me to all those places right here, I don't think this is on topic, but rest assured that I know better than you what causes the inequity in this society and the causes are different for people of color and whites and even more different between white men and white women.

Things like you say work both ways. I can take you to places you don't know because your education is limited and I can tell you what I think about you without the thread being closed. I created this thread because people seem to believe that every other race of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are just mad because all have failed. You decided to come in here and go at me. So do not play the victim.

Now the topic has been established, and if you want to go man up, this is where we do it and on this topic.

Really. Hm. Which white folks do you have a problem with, specifically?

We'll need for you to support your claim.

Thanks!

That is what this thread is about. Right? Your problem with white folks?
This is where it began and this thread is not about my problem with white folks. But this is what occurs when a person of color presents their feelings about their situation in America. This reaction is described here:

“White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium.”

White fragility turns any discussion of race by a person of color into "You hate all white people" or "That is what this thread is about. Right? Your problem with white folks?" or whataboutisms and other claims when it is nothing more than an attempt for a person of color to state their experience, erase false stereotypes, describe the effect of racism on people of color and in this case draw attention to a falsehood that has been stated by members of this forum to dismiss the experience of blacks.

This is where it began and this thread is not about my problem with white folks. But this is what occurs when a person of color presents their feelings about their situation in America. This reaction is described here:

“White people in North America live in a social environment that protects and insulates them from race-based stress. This insulated environment of racial protection builds white expectations for racial comfort while at the same time lowering the ability to tolerate racial stress, leading to what I refer to as White Fragility. White Fragility is a state in which even a minimum amount of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves. These moves include the outward display of emotions such as anger, fear, and guilt, and behaviors such as argumentation, silence, and leaving the stress-inducing situation. These behaviors, in turn, function to reinstate white racial equilibrium.”

White fragility turns any discussion of race by a person of color into "You hate all white people" or "That is what this thread is about. Right? Your problem with white folks?" or whataboutisms and other claims when it is nothing more than an attempt for a person of color to state their experience, erase false stereotypes, describe the effect of racism on people of color and in this case draw attention to a falsehood that has been stated by members of this forum to dismiss the experience of blacks.
WTF is "A PERSON OF COLOR"??

Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining. Lol!

Hispanics progress against racism but have long way to go

The Spanish arrived from Europe in what would eventually become the United States nearly 500 years ago and began to mix with the indigenous people they met and conquered. Native Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Caribbean islands, and other nations eventually meshed their native languages and cultures to become the population we now term “Hispanic” or “Latino.”

(NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE, NO SLAVERY)

Despite their large numbers, myriad contributions celebrated during this Hispanic Heritage Month, the fact that their ancestors built civilizations eons before the Europeans arrived, and their European DNA, Hispanics today face widespread racism and bigotry.

Racism against Hispanics is a complicated issue, noted now retired Distinguished Professor A. Gabriel Meléndez, former director of the Center for Regional Studies at The University of New Mexico.

First, one difference in terms of the experience of other groups in the U.S. is that Mexican-Americans were incorporated in the country as citizens en masse at the end of the U.S. Mexico War in 1848 and as a result of an international treaty. So technically, the group should have had all the rights of the American citizen, he said, adding that the other comparable group is Puerto Ricans, who have been citizens since 1898.

A. Gabriel Meléndez
A. Gabriel Meléndez
Meléndez observed that despite what has been called “ascriptive citizenship” (ascribed but not always acknowledged) large sectors of the Hispanic community have continued to lag socially and economically due to structural inequities that go back for decades.

“Up until the Chicano Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and 1970s, Mexican Americans or Chicanos found themselves with limited opportunities to enter the professions, to access educational opportunities ̶ especially university degrees ̶ to move beyond established housing patterns or see their fair share of tax funding returned public schools or to improvement projects in towns and neighborhoods that were historically Mexican American," Meléndez said. "While individually it is not easy to draw a direct causal line between racism and ethnicity, discrimination is easy to see as an expression of the institutional insensitivity that has denied opportunity to Mexican Americans. It should be noted that we are talking about a very heterogeneous group, one that emerges out of the historical process known as mestizaje, that is the mixing of ethnicities, cultures, and classes over time that happened here in the border states but also Mexico and other countries in Latin American.

"The very idea of racial hybridity produced misunderstanding in earlier times and was borne of an irrational fear of miscegenation an idea built on faulty racist logic. I think that structural inequity is observable in a number of well-documented discriminatory practices. Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.”

“Colonization comes through with a sense of power to overtake another community. There is the idea that you have to overpower rather than coexist,” she observed. “In order to take over people you have to minimize who they are, and you do that by criminalizing and dehumanizing them. To justify expansion, you put down the people whose land you took over.”

Some racism is direct and hostile. Cervantes knows of UNM students who have been called names such as “wetback,” a derogatory term for Mexicans that refers to crossing the border into the U.S. by wading or swimming across the Rio Grande. However, students often don’t want to report such incidents.

Students will talk to each other about incidents like this, Cervantes remarked, “But they don’t necessarily want us to step in with a formal complaint.”

Racism isn’t always in hostile, face-to-face encounters, but rather subtle, what Cervantes termed “little things, micro-aggressions.”

“They will try to change your name,” she noted, by anglicizing Spanish names. “People try to call me Rose instead of Rosa.” Or some Hispanics are made to feel ashamed of their Spanish names and they try to change them to an English translation or equivalent.

And then you have black hispanics...
akmamamamam.jpeg

Step 1: All whites are systemically racist
Step 2: go to step 1
This is the liberal plan:

1) Claim all whites are systemically racist
2) Claim all blacks are oppressed victims (including the two out of three admitted to prestigious colleges due to skin color)
3) Indoctrinate schoolchildren to believe the above
4) Wait 10 - 15 years, by which time indoctrinated schoolchildren will be of voting age, and approve reparations
5) People with light-toned skin will forevermore have a portion of their earnings redistributed to people of darker-toned skin

from what author did you obtain the "white fragility" theory, IM?

from what author did you obtain the "white fragility" theory, IM?
In the fantasy section of his local book store.

We all know it is just a term he uses to taunt and provoke the objects of his all-consuming racial hatred.

The fact of the matter is that the only "fragile" white people are the self-hating people who knuckle under to the constant verbal abuse and intimidation by allowing him to do whatever he damn well pleases.

Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining. Lol!

The Spanish arrived from Europe in what would eventually become the United States nearly 500 years ago and began to mix with the indigenous people they met and conquered. Native Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Caribbean islands, and other nations eventually meshed their native languages and cultures to become the population we now term “Hispanic” or “Latino.”

Despite their large numbers, myriad contributions celebrated during this Hispanic Heritage Month, the fact that their ancestors built civilizations eons before the Europeans arrived, and their European DNA, Hispanics today face widespread racism and bigotry.

Racism against Hispanics is a complicated issue, noted now retired Distinguished Professor A. Gabriel Meléndez, former director of the Center for Regional Studies at The University of New Mexico.

First, one difference in terms of the experience of other groups in the U.S. is that Mexican-Americans were incorporated in the country as citizens en masse at the end of the U.S. Mexico War in 1848 and as a result of an international treaty. So technically, the group should have had all the rights of the American citizen, he said, adding that the other comparable group is Puerto Ricans, who have been citizens since 1898.

A. Gabriel Meléndez
A. Gabriel Meléndez
Meléndez observed that despite what has been called “ascriptive citizenship” (ascribed but not always acknowledged) large sectors of the Hispanic community have continued to lag socially and economically due to structural inequities that go back for decades.

“Up until the Chicano Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and 1970s, Mexican Americans or Chicanos found themselves with limited opportunities to enter the professions, to access educational opportunities ̶ especially university degrees ̶ to move beyond established housing patterns or see their fair share of tax funding returned public schools or to improvement projects in towns and neighborhoods that were historically Mexican American," Meléndez said. "While individually it is not easy to draw a direct causal line between racism and ethnicity, discrimination is easy to see as an expression of the institutional insensitivity that has denied opportunity to Mexican Americans. It should be noted that we are talking about a very heterogeneous group, one that emerges out of the historical process known as mestizaje, that is the mixing of ethnicities, cultures, and classes over time that happened here in the border states but also Mexico and other countries in Latin American.

"The very idea of racial hybridity produced misunderstanding in earlier times and was borne of an irrational fear of miscegenation an idea built on faulty racist logic. I think that structural inequity is observable in a number of well-documented discriminatory practices. Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.”

“Colonization comes through with a sense of power to overtake another community. There is the idea that you have to overpower rather than coexist,” she observed. “In order to take over people you have to minimize who they are, and you do that by criminalizing and dehumanizing them. To justify expansion, you put down the people whose land you took over.”

Some racism is direct and hostile. Cervantes knows of UNM students who have been called names such as “wetback,” a derogatory term for Mexicans that refers to crossing the border into the U.S. by wading or swimming across the Rio Grande. However, students often don’t want to report such incidents.

Students will talk to each other about incidents like this, Cervantes remarked, “But they don’t necessarily want us to step in with a formal complaint.”

Racism isn’t always in hostile, face-to-face encounters, but rather subtle, what Cervantes termed “little things, micro-aggressions.”

“They will try to change your name,” she noted, by anglicizing Spanish names. “People try to call me Rose instead of Rosa.” Or some Hispanics are made to feel ashamed of their Spanish names and they try to change them to an English translation or equivalent.

Are you really that stupid; The Spanish are Latinos; as in LATIN; the very ethnicity of the Roman Catholic Church where we are taught that ALL are equal in the sight of God and ALL regardless of colour are are OUR Brothers and Sisters in Christ. So in that Church you have White, Brown, Yellow, Red and BLACKS!!!!

Now as MY culture has a long history of being attacked and in many cases repressed by BROWN folk and to a much larger extent enslaved compared to African Blacks then frankly I find you, speaking from Yankland, just a damned victimhood nutto!!

Greg

I don't have to talk, they speak for themselves in these articles.

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white people–white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who aren’t “comfortable” talking about race or privilege–to start having these “important conversations” if they aren’t already? Is it my responsibility to do so? Maybe, if I can, but the truth is that I am tired of being asked to think about racism from the perspective of those least impacted by it. I don’t always feel like explaining anti-Asian prejudice to people who have never considered it before. I don’t want to hear or validate confessions that someone hasn’t thought enough, done enough, said enough, worked enough, read enough, challenged enough microaggressions at work or at school. I don’t need an inbox full of emotional labor from white people just discovering the fact that Asians in America experience racism, and that I am Asian American.

Perhaps it shouldn’t have taken me so long to realize that it isn’t always my responsibility to engage with white people on this issue–whether that means cataloging the most recent horrific attacks in case someone is still unaware, providing examples of racism I’ve personally experienced in diverse and insular spaces alike, recommending articles and books for them to read, offering impromptu lessons on the Asian American history many of us weren’t taught in school...

You're worse than a God-botherer!!! Want to talk about Browns and Blacks enslaving whites and other people of colour far more than whites ever did Blacks??? Or is enslaving Whites OK with you??

Greg

Are you really that stupid; The Spanish are Latinos; as in LATIN; the very ethnicity of the Roman Catholic Church where we are taught that ALL are equal in the sight of God and ALL regardless of colour are are OUR Brothers and Sisters in Christ. So in that Church you have White, Brown, Yellow, Red and BLACKS!!!!

Now as MY culture has a long history of being attacked and in many cases repressed by BROWN folk and to a much larger extent enslaved compared to African Blacks then frankly I find you, speaking from Yankland, just a damned victimhood nutto!!

Greg
chill, gtop. uhm.....you spell "COLOR" funny-----
from just what planet do you HAIL? PS---I is a yankee doodle dandyette

A. Gabriel Meléndez

A. Gabriel Meléndez

No slavery? That’s a laugh, the Spaniards had plenty of Indian slaves in the new world. Even the missions were constructed and operated by slaves. The problem the Spaniards faced was that for some reason the Indians didn’t survive long in slavery, or they ran away. That’s why the Spanish and Portuguese imported blacks Across thousands of miles of oceans, they survived better and had no friendly local population to hide them when they ran away

Really. Hm. Which white folks do you have a problem with, specifically?

We'll need for you to support your claim.

Thanks!

That is what this thread is about. Right? Your problem with white folks?
He is at least limiting his claim. A “number” of whites here. Of course, it doesn’t conceal what he is actually saying: the “number” he isn’t mentioning is “all.”

Wrong again. Hispanics were given citizenship in 1848. Hispanics were not slaves here. Spanish/Portuguese were enslavers. If I want to see real white racism all I have to do is go downtown. I don't need to go to South America. But today hispanics face white racism and are not happy about it. That's my point. Because you guys want to pretend that blacks are the only ones complaining and everybody else has "made it." Whites have 17 times the wealth of hispanics. They are getting screwed like blacks and they are just as pissed.
Oh really, you should drive or walk El Camino Real sometime. There are a string of missions a days ride apart running up the California coast from lower Baja California to Sonoma in Northern California. All those missions were built by enslaved local Indians who were eventually converted to Catholicism and freed or died out. It’s no secret, that slavery was taught in California’s high schools when I went in the late sixties. Most “Hispanics” and you show how little you know on the subject by using that term, are far too busy becoming part of American society to complain. They are a true success story. The only reason there is poverty among Latinos is the constant flood of new, poor and largely uneducated illegal immigrants across the southern border. On the whole Latinos work hard and assimilate within one to two generations just like all the other immigrants over the history of the USA.

Forum List

Back