What Do Other Communities of Color Say About White Racism?

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white peopleā€“white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who arenā€™t ā€œcomfortableā€ talking about race or privilegeā€“to start having these ā€œimportant conversationsā€ if they arenā€™t already?
You do understand that not everyone agrees with your premise that these are "important conversations", right?

Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining. Lol!

Hispanics progress against racism but have long way to go

The Spanish arrived from Europe in what would eventually become the United States nearly 500 years ago and began to mix with the indigenous people they met and conquered. Native Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Caribbean islands, and other nations eventually meshed their native languages and cultures to become the population we now term ā€œHispanicā€ or ā€œLatino.ā€

(NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE, NO SLAVERY)

Despite their large numbers, myriad contributions celebrated during this Hispanic Heritage Month, the fact that their ancestors built civilizations eons before the Europeans arrived, and their European DNA, Hispanics today face widespread racism and bigotry.

Racism against Hispanics is a complicated issue, noted now retired Distinguished Professor A. Gabriel MelƩndez, former director of the Center for Regional Studies at The University of New Mexico.

First, one difference in terms of the experience of other groups in the U.S. is that Mexican-Americans were incorporated in the country as citizens en masse at the end of the U.S. Mexico War in 1848 and as a result of an international treaty. So technically, the group should have had all the rights of the American citizen, he said, adding that the other comparable group is Puerto Ricans, who have been citizens since 1898.

A. Gabriel MelƩndez
A. Gabriel MelƩndez
MelĆ©ndez observed that despite what has been called ā€œascriptive citizenshipā€ (ascribed but not always acknowledged) large sectors of the Hispanic community have continued to lag socially and economically due to structural inequities that go back for decades.

ā€œUp until the Chicano Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and 1970s, Mexican Americans or Chicanos found themselves with limited opportunities to enter the professions, to access educational opportunities Ģ¶ especially university degrees Ģ¶ to move beyond established housing patterns or see their fair share of tax funding returned public schools or to improvement projects in towns and neighborhoods that were historically Mexican American," MelĆ©ndez said. "While individually it is not easy to draw a direct causal line between racism and ethnicity, discrimination is easy to see as an expression of the institutional insensitivity that has denied opportunity to Mexican Americans. It should be noted that we are talking about a very heterogeneous group, one that emerges out of the historical process known as mestizaje, that is the mixing of ethnicities, cultures, and classes over time that happened here in the border states but also Mexico and other countries in Latin American.

"The very idea of racial hybridity produced misunderstanding in earlier times and was borne of an irrational fear of miscegenation an idea built on faulty racist logic. I think that structural inequity is observable in a number of well-documented discriminatory practices. Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.ā€

ā€œColonization comes through with a sense of power to overtake another community. There is the idea that you have to overpower rather than coexist,ā€ she observed. ā€œIn order to take over people you have to minimize who they are, and you do that by criminalizing and dehumanizing them. To justify expansion, you put down the people whose land you took over.ā€

Some racism is direct and hostile. Cervantes knows of UNM students who have been called names such as ā€œwetback,ā€ a derogatory term for Mexicans that refers to crossing the border into the U.S. by wading or swimming across the Rio Grande. However, students often donā€™t want to report such incidents.

Students will talk to each other about incidents like this, Cervantes remarked, ā€œBut they donā€™t necessarily want us to step in with a formal complaint.ā€

Racism isnā€™t always in hostile, face-to-face encounters, but rather subtle, what Cervantes termed ā€œlittle things, micro-aggressions.ā€

ā€œThey will try to change your name,ā€ she noted, by anglicizing Spanish names. ā€œPeople try to call me Rose instead of Rosa.ā€ Or some Hispanics are made to feel ashamed of their Spanish names and they try to change them to an English translation or equivalent.

And then you have black hispanics...
Really, no slavery? The Spanish and Portugese enslaved all the Indians AND brought in most of the black slaves from Africa. Slavery in Brazil lasted until almost eighteen ninety. You can't even get easily researched facts right.
The racial mixing was the result of large scale rape on the part of the Spaniards and Portugese. You want to see real white racism, go to Latin America. In every country the "white" citizens lord it over the darker skinned ones. They have their own hereditary aristocracy south of the border.

Last edited:
Wrong. Why do whites like you have a problem accepting the reality that people of color could actually be unpleased with how things have gone and can provide specific evidence to back their words? You also don't appear t have a problem with the many threads filled with actual racism against blacks.
Whites like him? What's he like?

You do understand that not everyone agrees with your premise that these are "important conversations", right?
You do understand that if the conversation is not important, you don't have to post.

I don't think Asians are very happy with the black racism toward them.

Anti-Blackness in the Asian community needs to be actively dismantled​

By TK Le

Without a doubt, the pan-Asian community has faced and continues to face racism, discrimination and xenophobia in America. However, that does not mean the pan-Asian community is the only victim of such mistreatment. In fact, anti-blackness and colorism run deep in our culture, despite the history of Black and Asian/Pacific Islander Americans fighting together for social justice in the 1960s. While those achievements helped Asian/Pacific Islander Americans gain many freedoms, Black folks are still experiencing harsh discrimination that can often be found within our own Asian communities. With the death of George Floyd (where one of the police officers complicit in his death was Tou Thao, a Hmong man), and the surge in movements like Black Lives Matter, it is incredibly crucial that we, the Asian/Pacific Islander (API) community, can understand and acknowledge our own discrimination against the Black community.

It truly hurts to continue to see people commit such wrongs against Black, Indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC). But merely saying that we should address the anti-Blackness sentiment in our society with only an apology barely scratches the surface. One of the main reasons there is such a chasm formed between the two communities is because of the model minority myth; stereotypes set by white Americans to pit Asian Americans against other BIPOC.

Think again.

Really, no slavery? The Spanish and Portugese enslaved all the Indians AND brought in most of the black slaves from Africa. Slavery in Brazil lasted until almost eighteen ninety. You can't even get easily researched facts right.
The racial mixing was the result of large scale rape on the part of the Spaniards and Portugese. You want to see real white racism, go to Latin America. In every country the "white" citizens lord it over the darker skinned ones. They have their own hereditary aristocracy south of the border.
Wrong again. Hispanics were given citizenship in 1848. Hispanics were not slaves here. Spanish/Portuguese were enslavers. If I want to see real white racism all I have to do is go downtown. I don't need to go to South America. But today hispanics face white racism and are not happy about it. That's my point. Because you guys want to pretend that blacks are the only ones complaining and everybody else has "made it." Whites have 17 times the wealth of hispanics. They are getting screwed like blacks and they are just as pissed.

Wrong again. Hispanics were given citizenship in 1848. Hispanics were not slaves here. Spanish/Portuguese were enslavers. If I want to see real white racism all I have to do is go downtown. I don't need to go to South America. But today hispanics face white racism and are not happy about it. That's my point. Because you guys want to pretend that blacks are the only ones complaining and everybody else has "made it." Whites have 17 times the wealth of hispanics. They are getting screwed like blacks and they are just as pissed.
You can't give up your America is horrible rant, can you? I showed you and entire hemisphere where things are worse than here, and you won't admit it. Face the facts, the USA is one of the LEAST racist countries on the planet.

You can't give up your America is horrible rant, can you? I showed you and entire hemisphere where things are worse than here, and you won't admit it. Face the facts, the USA is one of the LEAST racist countries on the planet.
I will continue talking about being black in America. If you don't like it, that's not my problem. I don't see Brazilians bragging about how they created the greatest and freest country in the history of mankind, nor do I live in South America. The problems I face are here...In America. America is a racist country, there is no such thing as least racist or most racist. It's easy to believe you can quantify racism when you are white and don't face it.

In the United States, the rule of thumb is that commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks, and colons and semicolons go outside.

I don't have to talk, they speak for themselves in these articles.

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white peopleā€“white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who arenā€™t ā€œcomfortableā€ talking about race or privilegeā€“to start having these ā€œimportant conversationsā€ if they arenā€™t already? Is it my responsibility to do so? Maybe, if I can, but the truth is that I am tired of being asked to think about racism from the perspective of those least impacted by it. I donā€™t always feel like explaining anti-Asian prejudice to people who have never considered it before. I donā€™t want to hear or validate confessions that someone hasnā€™t thought enough, done enough, said enough, worked enough, read enough, challenged enough microaggressions at work or at school. I donā€™t need an inbox full of emotional labor from white people just discovering the fact that Asians in America experience racism, and that I am Asian American.

Perhaps it shouldnā€™t have taken me so long to realize that it isnā€™t always my responsibility to engage with white people on this issueā€“whether that means cataloging the most recent horrific attacks in case someone is still unaware, providing examples of racism Iā€™ve personally experienced in diverse and insular spaces alike, recommending articles and books for them to read, offering impromptu lessons on the Asian American history many of us werenā€™t taught in school...

Telling people they're racist based on their skin color is, itself, racist.

And it's not going to get them to agree with you.

I don't have to talk, they speak for themselves in these articles.

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white peopleā€“white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who arenā€™t ā€œcomfortableā€ talking about race or privilegeā€“to start having these ā€œimportant conversationsā€ if they arenā€™t already? Is it my responsibility to do so? Maybe, if I can, but the truth is that I am tired of being asked to think about racism from the perspective of those least impacted by it. I donā€™t always feel like explaining anti-Asian prejudice to people who have never considered it before. I donā€™t want to hear or validate confessions that someone hasnā€™t thought enough, done enough, said enough, worked enough, read enough, challenged enough microaggressions at work or at school. I donā€™t need an inbox full of emotional labor from white people just discovering the fact that Asians in America experience racism, and that I am Asian American.

Perhaps it shouldnā€™t have taken me so long to realize that it isnā€™t always my responsibility to engage with white people on this issueā€“whether that means cataloging the most recent horrific attacks in case someone is still unaware, providing examples of racism Iā€™ve personally experienced in diverse and insular spaces alike, recommending articles and books for them to read, offering impromptu lessons on the Asian American history many of us werenā€™t taught in school...

Who knew you are an expert in completely understanding all races? You're a rainbow coalition all by yourself. :thup:

Maybe let the Latinos speak for themselves, because you have zero understanding of their life experience and zero validity lecturing anyone about Latino Culture or issues. Ditto whites and Asians as well.

Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining. Lol!

Hispanics progress against racism but have long way to go

The Spanish arrived from Europe in what would eventually become the United States nearly 500 years ago and began to mix with the indigenous people they met and conquered. Native Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Caribbean islands, and other nations eventually meshed their native languages and cultures to become the population we now term ā€œHispanicā€ or ā€œLatino.ā€

(NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE, NO SLAVERY)

Despite their large numbers, myriad contributions celebrated during this Hispanic Heritage Month, the fact that their ancestors built civilizations eons before the Europeans arrived, and their European DNA, Hispanics today face widespread racism and bigotry.

Racism against Hispanics is a complicated issue, noted now retired Distinguished Professor A. Gabriel MelƩndez, former director of the Center for Regional Studies at The University of New Mexico.

First, one difference in terms of the experience of other groups in the U.S. is that Mexican-Americans were incorporated in the country as citizens en masse at the end of the U.S. Mexico War in 1848 and as a result of an international treaty. So technically, the group should have had all the rights of the American citizen, he said, adding that the other comparable group is Puerto Ricans, who have been citizens since 1898.

A. Gabriel MelƩndez
A. Gabriel MelƩndez
MelĆ©ndez observed that despite what has been called ā€œascriptive citizenshipā€ (ascribed but not always acknowledged) large sectors of the Hispanic community have continued to lag socially and economically due to structural inequities that go back for decades.

ā€œUp until the Chicano Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and 1970s, Mexican Americans or Chicanos found themselves with limited opportunities to enter the professions, to access educational opportunities Ģ¶ especially university degrees Ģ¶ to move beyond established housing patterns or see their fair share of tax funding returned public schools or to improvement projects in towns and neighborhoods that were historically Mexican American," MelĆ©ndez said. "While individually it is not easy to draw a direct causal line between racism and ethnicity, discrimination is easy to see as an expression of the institutional insensitivity that has denied opportunity to Mexican Americans. It should be noted that we are talking about a very heterogeneous group, one that emerges out of the historical process known as mestizaje, that is the mixing of ethnicities, cultures, and classes over time that happened here in the border states but also Mexico and other countries in Latin American.

"The very idea of racial hybridity produced misunderstanding in earlier times and was borne of an irrational fear of miscegenation an idea built on faulty racist logic. I think that structural inequity is observable in a number of well-documented discriminatory practices. Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.ā€

ā€œColonization comes through with a sense of power to overtake another community. There is the idea that you have to overpower rather than coexist,ā€ she observed. ā€œIn order to take over people you have to minimize who they are, and you do that by criminalizing and dehumanizing them. To justify expansion, you put down the people whose land you took over.ā€

Some racism is direct and hostile. Cervantes knows of UNM students who have been called names such as ā€œwetback,ā€ a derogatory term for Mexicans that refers to crossing the border into the U.S. by wading or swimming across the Rio Grande. However, students often donā€™t want to report such incidents.

Students will talk to each other about incidents like this, Cervantes remarked, ā€œBut they donā€™t necessarily want us to step in with a formal complaint.ā€

Racism isnā€™t always in hostile, face-to-face encounters, but rather subtle, what Cervantes termed ā€œlittle things, micro-aggressions.ā€

ā€œThey will try to change your name,ā€ she noted, by anglicizing Spanish names. ā€œPeople try to call me Rose instead of Rosa.ā€ Or some Hispanics are made to feel ashamed of their Spanish names and they try to change them to an English translation or equivalent.

And then you have black hispanics...
You werenā€™t a slave either

You do understand that if the conversation is not important, you don't have to post.
I'm under no illusion that posting here is required, son.
I just do it to expose how stupid the useful idiots on the left are.
And, yes, that includes you.

In the United States, the rule of thumb is that commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks, and colons and semicolons go outside.
I'm currently outside the US. Thanks for the head's-up, Miss Crabtree.

IM2 failed to ever talk about the racist black thugs during the LA riots trying to steal, burn and destroy dozens of Asian businesses. I remember the Asian business owners with rifles and guns on top of their roofs defending their hard earned lifes work while 90% of the blacks in the area were trying to loot and steal and kill.

Forum List

Back