What are you reading?

phoenyx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just started a second reading of Lord of the Rings.
I loved reading them the first time. Then I saw the films. Then I tried to read through one a second time (Maybe The Two Towers) and I was like, "can we just get to the good parts already?" and stopped. I like books, but I -love- movies. I've yet to see a film based on a book and found myself to be disappointed in the film. Granted, I may just be lucky :). The only series that I've read through twice was the Dune series. Granted, I didn't have much to do at the time, but I really did like reading them twice. I liked the 2 films based on the Dune series, but the Dune books is the one example where I can definitely say that I would have missed a -lot- if I hadn't read the books (for one, it's a series of books, not just one).

Mindful

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I loved reading them the first time. Then I saw the films. Then I tried to read through one a second time (Maybe The Two Towers) and I was like, "can we just get to the good parts already?" and stopped. I like books, but I -love- movies. I've yet to see a film based on a book and found myself to be disappointed in the film. Granted, I may just be lucky :). The only series that I've read through twice was the Dune series. Granted, I didn't have much to do at the time, but I really did like reading them twice. I liked the 2 films based on the Dune series, but the Dune books is the one example where I can definitely say that I would have missed a -lot- if I hadn't read the books (for one, it's a series of books, not just one).
I've read everything by Tolkien.

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
Reaction score
Dune is actually one of the very few times I preferred the movie to the book.....although in this case I preferred the mini-series to the book. I'm not a big fan of Dune the book. I was very impressed with the Sci-Fi channel mini-series that came out 15 or so years ago.

Dalia

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am reading : Pompei Mort d'une ville écrivain René Guerdan 1973, éditeur Robert Laffont.

phoenyx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dune is actually one of the very few times I preferred the movie to the book.....although in this case I preferred the mini-series to the book. I'm not a big fan of Dune the book. I was very impressed with the Sci-Fi channel mini-series that came out 15 or so years ago.
I still haven't actually seen the mini series. But did you read the entire dune series or just the first book? I can't deny that I'm a fan of all of the Dune books, but my favourite Dune book was the 4th- God: Emperor of Dune. They needed the setup of the first few books to get to where they were though. I remember picking up the last book (the 6th) at a bookstore and trying to read it without having first read one or 2 of the preceding books and I was like, what the heck is going on, laugh :p.

Last edited:

phoenyx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read everything by Tolkien.
I can't say the same, though I did read another book from Tolkien that I really liked. I'm not even sure I finished it, but it's just one that sticks in my head- The Silmarillion. Specifically, the story of Beren and Luthien (wikipedia's awesome- I wouldn't have been able to remember their names without it ;-)).

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
Reaction score
I still haven't actually seen the mini series. But did you read the entire dune series or just the first book? I can't deny that I'm a fan of all of the Dune books, but my favourite Dune book was the 4th- God: Emperor of Dune. They needed the setup of the first few books to get to where they were though. I remember picking up the last book (the 6th) at a bookstore and trying to read it without having first read one or 2 of the preceding books and I was like, what the heck is going on, laugh :p.
I only read the original Dune. I didn't like it enough to try any of the subsequent books.

I can't remember how true to the book the mini-series was, but it just flowed a lot better IMO. It was a slow series for the most part, but it didn't require a lot of action.

phoenyx

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only read the original Dune. I didn't like it enough to try any of the subsequent books.

I can't remember how true to the book the mini-series was, but it just flowed a lot better IMO. It was a slow series for the most part, but it didn't require a lot of action.
I really should see it one day. There was also a Children of Dune mini series which I haven't yet seen either. I don't believe any series ever covered any books after that though.

esthermoon

Gold Member
Reaction score

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
Reaction score

I really should see it one day. There was also a Children of Dune mini series which I haven't yet seen either. I don't believe any series ever covered any books after that though.
It's been years since I watched them, but as I recall, Children of Dune was not nearly as good as the Dune mini-series. Not completely terrible, but not up to the same standards.

Preacher

Gold Member
Reaction score
Jewish Supremacism by David Duke. Autographed copy!
Surviving Home by Angery American

Enjoying both immensely. After reading a chapter of JS I have to take a break because I am so pissed and to let all the information settle and toss it around etc.

Most reactions - Past 7 days