What are you reading?

I'm reading this book

View attachment 99712

I like philosophy :)
This is a great book.

It explains the evolution of European thought from the time of the ancient Greeks when rational thinking (called Philosophy) was first beginning to evolve from Greek polytheist superstition to the pure Philosophy of Renee Descartes, Immanuel Kant, and on to the modern British Empiricists.

Although Europeans have always been fairly superstitious about Religion, being either Catholic or Protestant for the most part, pure Philosophy has enabled them to set aside Religion and eventually separate Church and State, and Church and Science, although it did take a very long, long time.

(koshergrl has inspired me to use better punctuation. Not that she always does herself, but now that I have seen she can and that she is a profession writer, I don't want to seem dumb.)

Just started a second reading of Lord of the Rings.

I loved reading them the first time. Then I saw the films. Then I tried to read through one a second time (Maybe The Two Towers) and I was like, "can we just get to the good parts already?" and stopped. I like books, but I -love- movies. I've yet to see a film based on a book and found myself to be disappointed in the film. Granted, I may just be lucky :). The only series that I've read through twice was the Dune series. Granted, I didn't have much to do at the time, but I really did like reading them twice. I liked the 2 films based on the Dune series, but the Dune books is the one example where I can definitely say that I would have missed a -lot- if I hadn't read the books (for one, it's a series of books, not just one).
I read the entire quadrilogy (trilogy plus The Hobbit) about a dozen times in high school and college and grad school.

Did not go see the movies though.

By then I was too old to appreciate kid actors with kid anxieties in a kids' flick.

Because now, yay though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for there is nothing on this Earth that I cannot kill.

I am reading : Pompei Mort d'une ville écrivain René Guerdan 1973, éditeur Robert Laffont.
Dalia my French is not too good. When my grandmother was still alive I had to speak French to her. She did not speak English.

I'll try a translation of your title though --

Pompei - Death of One Village by author Rene Guerdan.

:D

Pure brain candy right now....

51i5bUKq92L._SY346_.jpg

I am reading : Pompei Mort d'une ville écrivain René Guerdan 1973, éditeur Robert Laffont.
Dalia my French is not too good. When my grandmother was still alive I had to speak French to her. She did not speak English.

I'll try a translation of your title though --

Pompei - Death of One Village by author Rene Guerdan.

:D
Hello yiostheoy, it is hard to translate sometime, i am always looking for right word in English:)
I respond to you without google translate to see i good i could be with my English it is normal that you don't speak well French you are American that is why when i came to this forum i was not quite sure to be able to be accept but you guy's, you are cool and don't make big deal about small thing that what i told my French friend they make big deal about little thing, i learn a lot about American culture since i come here often , Voilà :)

And right now i am reading about !
Les momies, Un voyage dans l'éternité
0046789.jpg
:thup:

I'm reading this book

View attachment 99712

This is a great book.

It explains the evolution of European thought from the time of the ancient Greeks when rational thinking (called Philosophy) was first beginning to evolve from Greek polytheist superstition to the pure Philosophy of Renee Descartes, Immanuel Kant, and on to the modern British Empiricists.

Although Europeans have always been fairly superstitious about Religion, being either Catholic or Protestant for the most part, pure Philosophy has enabled them to set aside Religion and eventually separate Church and State, and Church and Science, although it did take a very long, long time.

(koshergrl has inspired me to use better punctuation. Not that she always does herself, but now that I have seen she can and that she is a profession writer, I don't want to seem dumb.)
I love Greek philosophy too! More than Asian philosophy!
In my opinion one of the best Ancient Greek philosopher was Pyrrho. I like his philosophy because it's so similar to Buddhism!
I also find very interesting Stoicism (more Roman Stoicism than Greek Stoicism to be honest...Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Seneca) :)

The origin of the Vietnam Wars (French, Japanese, French again, and American phases) all started with Catholic missionaries in Viet Nam being rejected by the Buddhist monks there.

I read about this in "Rolling Thunder In A Gentle Land," edited by Andrew Wiest.

Rolling Thunder in a Gentle Land: The Vietnam War Revisited (General Military): Andrew Wiest: 9781782001874: Amazon.com: Books
Diem wanted to convert all Vietnamese (South-Vietnamese) to Catholicism...he was very discriminatory towards Buddhists :(

Jewish Supremacism by David Duke. Autographed copy!
Surviving Home by Angery American

Enjoying both immensely. After reading a chapter of JS I have to take a break because I am so pissed and to let all the information settle and toss it around etc.
Did you meet David Duke in person? :eusa_think:
Just curious :)
No. I wish though! I paid 30$ for the book and he signed it for me. He's sent me stuff before DVD's etc.

I'm reading this book

View attachment 99712

This is a great book.

In my opinion one of the best Ancient Greek philosopher was Pyrrho. I like his philosophy because it's so similar to Buddhism!
I also find very interesting Stoicism (more Roman Stoicism than Greek Stoicism to be honest...Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Seneca) :)
I follow a combination of Stoicism and Epicureanism.

During tough times I am Stoic.

During good times I am Epicurean.

My religion comes from Aquinas' Deism -- the 5 Proofs Of God.

Hello yiostheoy, it is hard to translate sometime, i am always looking for right word in English:)
I respond to you without google translate to see i good i could be with my English it is normal that you don't speak well French you are American that is why when i came to this forum i was not quite sure to be able to be accept but you guy's, you are cool and don't make big deal about small thing that what i told my French friend they make big deal about little thing, i learn a lot about American culture since i come here often , Voilà :)

And right now i am reading about !
Les momies, Un voyage dans l'éternité
0046789.jpg

This one is easier --

The Mommies - A Voyage in Eternity.

I've been reading a lot of fiction lately. Here are the last 5 .....

"Life and other near death experiences" Camille Pagan
Funny, poignant, and very entertaining. I read this in one sitting. I recommend for anyone to read.

A 4 book Sci Fi series by Arthur C Clarke

1. "Rendezvous witth Rama"
  2. "Rama II"
  3. "The Garden of Rama"
  4. "Rama Revealed"
Here is the description of the first book:

At first, only a few things are known about the celestial object that astronomers dub Rama. It is huge, weighing more than ten trillion tons. And it is hurtling through the solar system at an inconceivable speed. Then a space probe confirms the unthinkable: Rama is no natural object. It is, incredibly, an interstellar spacecraft. Space explorers and planet-bound scientists alike prepare for mankind's first encounter with alien intelligence. It will kindle their wildest dreams... and fan their darkest fears. For no one knows who the Ramans are or why they have come. And now the moment of rendezvous awaits — just behind a Raman airlock door
I loved these 4 books and went straight from one to the next. They really transported me to another time and place and the science is believable. . I highly recommend for fans of hard Sci-Fi.

Anyway, I've set a 52 books reading goal for 2017- at 14 so far.
Just a wee bit behind!

I'm reading this book

View attachment 99712

This is a great book.

Plato Is Play-Doh

I was disappointed in Pyrrho. His skepticism was extreme to the point of silliness. (For example, he might say, "There is no 'point' in silliness; it is an emotional, not an object. It has no shape, so how can it come to a point?") I found the same ridiculous quibbling thinking process in Plato's Parmenides.

Funny, poignant, and very entertaining. I read this in one sitting. I recommend for anyone to read.

2. "Rama II"
  3. "The Garden of Rama"
  4. "Rama Revealed"

At first, only a few things are known about the celestial object that astronomers dub Rama. It is huge, weighing more than ten trillion tons. And it is hurtling through the solar system at an inconceivable speed. Then a space probe confirms the unthinkable: Rama is no natural object. It is, incredibly, an interstellar spacecraft. Space explorers and planet-bound scientists alike prepare for mankind's first encounter with alien intelligence. It will kindle their wildest dreams... and fan their darkest fears. For no one knows who the Ramans are or why they have come. And now the moment of rendezvous awaits — just behind a Raman airlock door
I loved these 4 books and went straight from one to the next. They really transported me to another time and place and the science is believable. . I highly recommend for fans of hard Sci-Fi.

Just a wee bit behind!

Apparently the guy Clarke co-wrote that series with also wrote 2 more novels in that world on his own. I've read mixed reviews about those.

2. "Rama II"
  3. "The Garden of Rama"
  4. "Rama Revealed"

Just a wee bit behind!

Apparently the guy Clarke co-wrote that series with also wrote 2 more novels in that world on his own. I've read mixed reviews about those.

Gentry Lee is his name. He's an engineer at JPL in Pasadena.

I doubt I'd read the new books. Clarke is a master story teller. I feel like the 4 book cycle ended perfectly.

2. "Rama II"
  3. "The Garden of Rama"
  4. "Rama Revealed"

Just a wee bit behind!

You use goodreads?

I'm reading this book

View attachment 99712

This is a great book.

That is an inaccurate presentation of the relationship between philosophy and religion in Europe and in general.

Here's a question that only applies to those who use a Paper White or other reading device.

How many of you can actually name the book you're reading without going to your home page and checking?

Forum List

Back