What are you reading?

I'm reading this book

cvr9780671201586_9780671201586_hr.jpg

I like philosophy :)

Just started a second reading of Lord of the Rings.

I loved reading them the first time. Then I saw the films. Then I tried to read through one a second time (Maybe The Two Towers) and I was like, "can we just get to the good parts already?" and stopped. I like books, but I -love- movies. I've yet to see a film based on a book and found myself to be disappointed in the film. Granted, I may just be lucky :). The only series that I've read through twice was the Dune series. Granted, I didn't have much to do at the time, but I really did like reading them twice. I liked the 2 films based on the Dune series, but the Dune books is the one example where I can definitely say that I would have missed a -lot- if I hadn't read the books (for one, it's a series of books, not just one).

I loved reading them the first time. Then I saw the films. Then I tried to read through one a second time (Maybe The Two Towers) and I was like, "can we just get to the good parts already?" and stopped. I like books, but I -love- movies. I've yet to see a film based on a book and found myself to be disappointed in the film. Granted, I may just be lucky :). The only series that I've read through twice was the Dune series. Granted, I didn't have much to do at the time, but I really did like reading them twice. I liked the 2 films based on the Dune series, but the Dune books is the one example where I can definitely say that I would have missed a -lot- if I hadn't read the books (for one, it's a series of books, not just one).

I've read everything by Tolkien.

Dune is actually one of the very few times I preferred the movie to the book.....although in this case I preferred the mini-series to the book. I'm not a big fan of Dune the book. I was very impressed with the Sci-Fi channel mini-series that came out 15 or so years ago.

Dune is actually one of the very few times I preferred the movie to the book.....although in this case I preferred the mini-series to the book. I'm not a big fan of Dune the book. I was very impressed with the Sci-Fi channel mini-series that came out 15 or so years ago.

I still haven't actually seen the mini series. But did you read the entire dune series or just the first book? I can't deny that I'm a fan of all of the Dune books, but my favourite Dune book was the 4th- God: Emperor of Dune. They needed the setup of the first few books to get to where they were though. I remember picking up the last book (the 6th) at a bookstore and trying to read it without having first read one or 2 of the preceding books and I was like, what the heck is going on, laugh :p.

Last edited:

I've read everything by Tolkien.

I can't say the same, though I did read another book from Tolkien that I really liked. I'm not even sure I finished it, but it's just one that sticks in my head- The Silmarillion. Specifically, the story of Beren and Luthien (wikipedia's awesome- I wouldn't have been able to remember their names without it ;-)).

I still haven't actually seen the mini series. But did you read the entire dune series or just the first book? I can't deny that I'm a fan of all of the Dune books, but my favourite Dune book was the 4th- God: Emperor of Dune. They needed the setup of the first few books to get to where they were though. I remember picking up the last book (the 6th) at a bookstore and trying to read it without having first read one or 2 of the preceding books and I was like, what the heck is going on, laugh :p.

I only read the original Dune. I didn't like it enough to try any of the subsequent books.

I can't remember how true to the book the mini-series was, but it just flowed a lot better IMO. It was a slow series for the most part, but it didn't require a lot of action.

I only read the original Dune. I didn't like it enough to try any of the subsequent books.

I can't remember how true to the book the mini-series was, but it just flowed a lot better IMO. It was a slow series for the most part, but it didn't require a lot of action.

I really should see it one day. There was also a Children of Dune mini series which I haven't yet seen either. I don't believe any series ever covered any books after that though.

I really should see it one day. There was also a Children of Dune mini series which I haven't yet seen either. I don't believe any series ever covered any books after that though.

It's been years since I watched them, but as I recall, Children of Dune was not nearly as good as the Dune mini-series. Not completely terrible, but not up to the same standards.

Jewish Supremacism by David Duke. Autographed copy!
Surviving Home by Angery American

Enjoying both immensely. After reading a chapter of JS I have to take a break because I am so pissed and to let all the information settle and toss it around etc.

Forum List

Back