What are you reading now?

I read quite a lot and I always have since I was in middle school. Seems like I am always engrossed in some star system light years away fighting lizard people, or a time travel adventure or something. Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like. Below is a recreation of the ship.

Pilgrim-TALL-SHIP.-W.Ross_-600x413.jpg

According to the book there were about 15 people aboard and they were very busy. They continually had to put up and take down the sails depending on the weather, and had to be on watch around the clock. So the sailors life was one kept busy! They had a compass and maritime chronometer and the ability to sail by the stars. The voyage took two years and is a wonderful tale of adventure on the high seas without all the hollywood hype thrown in. A good read if you are interested in history or sea going vessels of that period.

I figured I should post this to dispel some of the nasty rumors that I "can't read". ;)

Splitting my spare time between rereading Beowulf and The Gulag Archipelago.

Currently reading ... "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch

61r8uQIbQCL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But if you're looking for literature of a nautical nature, I recommend

The 'Horatio Hornblower' series by C.S. Forester
'Sink the Bismark', also by C.S. Forester
'Master and Commander' by Patrick O'Brien

I'm re-reading an ancient copy of Cosmos by Carl Sagan an uncle gave me like 20 years ago. Glad I saved it, it is outdated but still a good read. Puts things into perspective. I will probably keep it and give it a read again when I'm 60 lol.

I'm currently reading The Three Ecologies (1989) by the psychotherapist and political radical, Félix Guattari.

Many only know of Guattari's work through his collaboration with Gilles Deleuze, which is rather sad considering his solo work (like Machinic Unconscious, for example) is phenomenal.

Anyway, the book I'm reading now is short, but rather thorough in its analysis of post-industrial capitalism and how it affects our relationship to the environment. I especially like the introduction, which makes an allusion to Professor Challenger. It works well with Guattari's desire to develop a "mental ecology" that breaks from the bourgeois dominative perspective towards nature.

419zS6ORv-L._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

Last edited:
Jungle Child by Norah Burke. The story of her life as the daughter of a forestry officer in the Raj around the turn of the century. Very interesting view of a world long gone and as good nature writing as Durrell.

For sailing adventure I recommend The Cruise of the Cachalot by Frank Bullen, a young Limey sailor on board a Yankee whaler, free from Gutenberg. Better than Moby Dick. Cachalot is French for sperm whale, their common prey. At least as good as TYBtM and Robinson Crusoe. Less fiction too, I'd say.

Last edited:
Take Control of iTunes 12: The FAQ Kindle Edition.

513tYKfyJZL.jpg

I just bought my first gey ass iphone. I've always had android and itunes is a mess, I have to read up on it.

Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like.
Just finished reading Two Years Before the Mast based on your recommendation. Overall I enjoyed the book, and learned a lot about a subject I hadn't explored before. Seems like every page I was stopping to look up nautical terms concerning the ship's rigging, crew duties, sailor's slang, and navigation terms.

The yarn was exciting at first, dragged somewhat in the middle, and then picked back up on the return trip to Boston.

Sunni Man approved...... :thup: .. :cool:

For sailing adventure I recommend The Cruise of the Cachalot by Frank Bullen, a young Limey sailor on board a Yankee whaler, free from Gutenberg. Better than Moby Dick. Cachalot is French for sperm whale, their common prey. At least as good as TYBtM and Robinson Crusoe. Less fiction too, I'd say.
I just ordered The Cruise of the Cachalot based on your recommendation.

It better be as good as you say, or else you owe me $13 + tax. ... :cool:

Now, after finishing Two years Before the Mast, I am reading Robinson Crusoe. Very cool!
All the books named so far are great. Add in The Old man and the see
Now, after finishing Two years Before the Mast, I am reading Robinson Crusoe. Very cool!
All excelent books. Add in "The old Man and the Sea", Treasure Island, and Mobey Dick. Staying with the sea subject. Out side of the Sea subject I read DonQuiote once a year. I am currently doing my yearly read of the King James Bible.

Out side of the Sea subject I read Don Quixote once a year.
Quiz Question:

Which famous American author late in life bought a pickup camper and hand painted the name of Don Quixote horse Rocinante on the side, and then drove around the country with his pet dog looking for subject matter to write a new novel? .... :cool:

Out side of the Sea subject I read Don Quixote once a year.
Quiz Question:

Which famous American author late in life bought a pickup camper and hand painted the name of Don Quixote horse Rocinante on the side, and then drove around the country with his pet dog looking for subject matter to write a new novel? .... :cool:
I do not know. Do tell. If his writing is as good as in DonQuiote I wanna read. I have a feeling I will love this guy!

Forum List

Back