CDZ What are you "proud" of?

I'm incredibly proud of my daughter. She'll be 36 in two weeks, and she's carved her own path through life and has come through it all like a champ. She's as morally centered a person as I've ever known.

I'm proud of my military career.

I'm proud two have built two successful businesses which employ almost 160 people.

I'm proud of the fact that I was able to quit smoking ten years ago, after having been a smoker for 35 years.

I am proud of my daughter. No matter how stupid the governments of the world have been, making the lives of children miserable, she has shined through it all.

Straight A student and will graduate college at 19.
Wow. More power to her. That's no mean feat.

Pride is a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired. Pride is also listed as one of the Seven Deadly Sins in the Bible.

So what, if anything, are you proud of? Do you derive pleasure or satisfaction from your ancestors or ethnic heritage? If so, why? Where does pride fall on the continuum between gratefulness and arrogance? Or is it merely a defensive construct to mask our own insecurities and/or denigrate others?

Personally, I avoid the use of that term and am suspicious of those who do use it. What about you?

Just like killing pride in itself isn't a bad thing, it just depends the situation. Like it's one thing to be proud of yourself, and another to think you're better than everyone else. Me personally, I'm currently proud of Trump and all of the people who refuse to roll over to the government like dogs and be censored.

She's being recruited by every engineering school out there, but....she wants to go to my Alma mater, Caltech.

My daughter is a lot younger. But she decided herself that she wanted to go to a certain magnet school, and after she got rejected the first year, attended tutoring classes and did the work to get in the second year.

I was very impressed at that level of ambition and motivation.

Just like killing pride in itself isn't a bad thing, it just depends the situation. Like it's one thing to be proud of yourself, and another to think you're better than everyone else. Me personally, I'm currently proud of Trump and all of the people who refuse to roll over to the government like dogs and be censored.
But what if you really are better than other people? I've been pretty morally upright and law-abiding, and I think I am far better than my junkie siblings who lied, cheated, stole and destroyed other people throughout their whole lives.

I am better than that. I am proud to be better than that.

But what if you really are better than other people? I've been pretty morally upright and law-abiding, and I think I am far better than my junkie siblings who lied, cheated, stole and destroyed other people throughout their whole lives.

Yeah, but you aren't arrogant about it.

Hard not to feel pride in one's accomplishments, as long as it doesn't go to your head (I know whereof I speak. Been there, done that). :(

I am very proud of things I've worked hard to achieve, but I try to temper it by being grateful for the innate abilities to achieve things, because I had nothing to do with those.

For example, I spent years learning to sing well, and I work hard on practicing a new song when I learn it. So I'm proud of giving a good performance. I also remember that I had nothing to do with the fact of having a talent for singing; I was just fortunate enough to be born with it.

My kids are doing worse. I love them both but they have done little to make me proud (no thanks to their mother). :mad:

I am very admiring of what good people my kids are. I don't have a sense of personal pride about it, because I honestly can't point to anything and say, "This is because I did THAT." My kids insist they see how I was a good mother, but I see it as me being lucky to have such naturally great kids.

That is a very low bar you set for yourself there.

Forum List

Back