What are some of your favorite songs by the rock group, Rush?

Rush had a lot of transformations in their 40+ years.
Unfortunately most of Alex Lifeson's best creative guitar work was on the first few albums and then after Moving Pictures, between Geddy's vocals changing and the synthesizers coming into play more. Maybe he got a little lazy ? Who's to say really.

You may be right, Angelo. The band had a longevity that surprised many of their critics, I think a lot of that had to do with Geddy's excellent business acumen. Especially considering what Neil went through at one point with personal loss. About six years ago I bought a new pressing of their LP double album release of Snakes & Arrows (if I recall the title right) but just wasn't that impressed with it. I don't mean to sound critical of the band, just that sometimes when you keep putting out new material just to keep the label happy, I think it detracts from the really good, original work you do.

Last time I saw them live was about ten years ago at the venue where they made their first professional appearance and, dating myself, I'm from an era when concert tickets were $5 for good seats and the "light show" was some colored stage lights to set the mood, I got a pretty good seat at about 6th row for $80, and several things struct me:
  1. How much the cost of concert tickets has outpaced the cost of living over the years. It shouldn't cost more than about $30-$40 now to see a good concert.
  2. How not loud the music was considering I was right in front of a speaker! I mean, I'm used to about 130 dB at home and I bet the volumn wasn't much over 90-100! Maybe 110 at best. That's not very loud. It really detracted from the experience. I want to feel the music pounding through my body (I've heard that venues are deliberately limiting volumn now to "save" people's hearing. Me, I come prepared and always bring cotton for my ears to limit the sound as/if needed).
  3. Getting back to the modern distraction of excessive light shows, visuals, etc., I guess justifying the exorbitant prices, I just didn't get all the props the band had on stage including what appeared to be a couple of driers with clothes in them tumbling. Even my Rushaholic buddy couldn't tell me what they were supposed to mean.
  4. The sound at the master mixing board out in the stands was by far the best sound to be had, a lot better than at my seats.
  5. When you listen at home, you always have the best seat in the house. :)
That all said, I like the band a lot and admire their longevity: I associate many of their early songs with some of the best and wildest times of my teens. I have a CD upstairs I burned off of a friend that I think is live that is EXCELLENT. It is one of their later works (1980s-1990s?), very original, absolutely great all the way through, but I just can't think of the name of the album off the top of my head.

Thread has been cleaned. Music forum is for people to enjoy and share music. It is a sacred space. It is NOT for flaming, putting people down or fighting. Save that for Politics.

pepd,dmcs.jpeg

Just who died and left either of you two the site's official "musicologists?"
Don't know about bluz, but I'm actually a god
reincarnated from Apollo.
Funny you say that, Angie, as an astronomer, I happen to know that Apollo was an Olympian (child of the Titans, as mythology goes) who was also GOD OF MUSIC. Very appropriate. If you're ever on the east coast and interested, I'd love to play some RUSH for you on my 3,000 watt custom build music system! Nine speakers driven by six power amps. I mean it literally that it blows their live concert away. :SMILEW~130:

Funny you say that, Angie, as an astronomer, I happen to know that Apollo was an Olympian (child of the Titans, as mythology goes) who was also GOD OF MUSIC. Very appropriate. If you're ever on the east coast and interested, I'd love to play some RUSH for you on my 3,000 watt custom build music system! Nine speakers driven by six power amps. I mean it literally that it blows their live concert away. :SMILEW~130:
It's okay. Thanks... but after having been around loud music my whole life and loud machines and things half my life not always with ear plugs, I'm probably deaf enough already. Which is worrisome for most people, but being a god and all, it's even scarier.

It's okay. Thanks... but after having been around loud music my whole life and loud machines and things half my life not always with ear plugs, I'm probably deaf enough already. Which is worrisome for most people, but being a god and all, it's even scarier.
Well, what I've learned over the years Angelo is that unlike a concert where the volume is fixed and set, you have control over it in a home setting. I've found that there is a threshold between loud and TOO loud that you can ride when you control it yourself where it is JUST RIGHT for awesome sound, I've found that the ear can take unbelievable SPL if ramped up in stages and gotten used to gradually and when done over LIMITED and controlled periods of time to emphasize and compand the music.

I've had a lifetime of awesome music and can still hear clearly to 16K and can hear a pin drop. Ideally, when you play hard rock, the bass should literally rip through your chest and vibrate your organs that it feels like it could stop your heart. More than that, the harmonic, textural and dynamic QUALITY must be there to support it. The great destroyer isn't the VOLUME, Angie, it is the presence of DISTORTION, especially the kind of odd order harmonics produced by solid state amps during hard clipping.

Well, what I've learned over the years Angelo is that unlike a concert where the volume is fixed and set, you have control over it in a home setting. I've found that there is a threshold between loud and TOO loud that you can ride when you control it yourself where it is JUST RIGHT for awesome sound, I've found that the ear can take unbelievable SPL if ramped up in stages and gotten used to gradually and when done over LIMITED and controlled periods of time to emphasize and compand the music.

I've had a lifetime of awesome music and can still hear clearly to 16K and can hear a pin drop. Ideally, when you play hard rock, the bass should literally rip through your chest and vibrate your organs that it feels like it could stop your heart. More than that, the harmonic, textural and dynamic QUALITY must be there to support it. The great destroyer isn't the VOLUME, Angie, it is the presence of DISTORTION, especially the kind of odd order harmonics produced by solid state amps during hard clipping.
"Sorry. What was that sonny ?"
1598561089129.png

Thread has been cleaned. Music forum is for people to enjoy and share music. It is a sacred space. It is NOT for flaming, putting people down or fighting. Save that for Politics.
Piss off, bitch.
(if you call yourself Coyote, then you have no room to bitch about people calling you a bitch. You asked for it, you short skirted asking for it bitch)

Enjoy this..bitch

Piss off, bitch.
(if you call yourself Coyote, then you have no room to bitch about people calling you a bitch. You asked for it, you short skirted asking for it bitch)

Enjoy this..bitch

You didn't know Coyote was the singer in a Rush tribute band ?

Her stage name is Rocky.

Forum List

Back