What are some of your favorite songs by the rock group, Rush?

Hmmmm, this is a hard one. They have so many...

Tom Sawyer, Limelight, The Spirit of Radio, YYZ, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions.

This thread is specially for our eminent musicologist on this site, Angelo. My favorites by Rush are - 1) La Villa Strangiato 2) Tom Sawyer 3) The Spirit of Radio 4) The Trees, and 5) Subdivisions
Just who died and left either of you two the site's official "musicologists?" Truth is Bluz, if I played Rush for you on my home system, you'd melt thinking you never heard Rush before. Better than live.

Far better.

I'd have to peel you out of the listening chair with a crowbar.

This thread is specially for our eminent musicologist on this site, Angelo. My favorites by Rush are - 1) La Villa Strangiato 2) Tom Sawyer 3) The Spirit of Radio 4) The Trees, and 5) Subdivisions
Just who died and left either of you two the site's official "musicologists?" Truth is Bluz, if I played Rush for you on my home system, you'd melt thinking you never heard Rush before. Better than live.

I've seen Rush 6 times - the 2nd time was front row for the 2112 tour in 1976.

And btw, I thought everyone was a "musicologist". Bluzman speaks for himself here..

And btw, I thought everyone was a "musicologist". Bluzman speaks for himself here..
When it comes to "musicologist" on this site, YOU are the man, Angelo.

Then I envy you for that! You saw Rush at the very pinnacle of their career!
I have a fair amount of Rush and don't mean to step on any toes here, I had a friend who used to follow them from city to city, I think he saw them like 4-6 times every tour they did. Bought his tickets off a broker and paid like $200 every time for front row seats, etc.

The GOOD thing about Rush is that when they were good, they were great. They had their unique sound and sounded like more than just 3 people.

The downside of Rush is that unfortunately, they really only had enough good material to fill 4-5 albums at best. Somehow, they parlayed that out into a very successful if underrated 45 year career. But they went commercial and produced a lot of very redundant music that had nothing new to say. They became radio hit wonders.

If I had to pick two songs that was the quintessential Rush, it would be the 2112 suite on the original 2112 album, and By-Tor and the Snow Dog rendition on their All The World's A Stage Album. But of course, that is not to say they didn't have at least a dozen other great songs!

Then I envy you for that! You saw Rush at the very pinnacle of their career!
I have a fair amount of Rush and don't mean to step on any toes here, I had a friend who used to follow them from city to city, I think he saw them like 4-6 times every tour they did. Bought his tickets off a broker and paid like $200 every time for front row seats, etc.

The GOOD thing about Rush is that when they were good, they were great. They had their unique sound and sounded like more than just 3 people.

The downside of Rush is that unfortunately, they really only had enough good material to fill 4-5 albums at best. Somehow, they parlayed that out into a very successful if underrated 45 year career. But they went commercial and produced a lot of very redundant music that had nothing new to say. They became radio hit wonders.

If I had to pick two songs that was the quintessential Rush, it would be the 2112 suite on the original 2112 album, and By-Tor and the Snow Dog rendition on their All The World's A Stage Album. But of course, that is not to say they didn't have at least a dozen other great songs!
Rush had a lot of transformations in their 40+ years.
Unfortunately most of Alex Lifeson's best creative guitar work was on the first few albums and then after Moving Pictures, between Geddy's vocals changing and the synthesizers coming into play more. Maybe he got a little lazy ? Who's to say really.

The last time I saw them was the Hold Your Fire tour - in 87 or 88 in Atlanta Ga.

Last edited:

My favorite RUSH song is Geddy Lee's favorite RUSH song.

Spirit of the radio.

I have worked with the band countless times through the years. I just LOVE to work with them. I won't say the personal reasons why but will the professional reason, the are a pure joy to work with.

I'll just leave it at that.

I cried the say I learned Neil died.

New Topics

Forum List

Back