what age did your body break down and you got old

What a depressing thread guys.

I am forty-nine and still at peak, seasoned and strong two years out from Army retirement. If anything is slowing me down at times it's the smoking; sometimes two packs a day and more. I always plan on quitting but no one likes . . . a quitter. At least I must finally admit . . . I'm not immortal . . . that much is obvious. My grandfather was in iron man shape until suddenly dropping off at about 87, then dying of an infection five years later. I hope to mirror his life trajectory, but he was a unique specimen; weren't all those WWII guys? My other grandfather, however, strongly advised me to never allow myself to reach his age (89 at the time). I think about his advice all the time. My wife just turned 44. She doesn't look a day over twenty-five. Hopefully we will keep each other young.

Confoundit Whippersnapper!!
:auiqs.jpg:

Keep weight down, exercise, no fast food and very little sweets. Grow our own veggies. My son does most of the work now.

For many people it happens in a series of small steps every few years, but many people also adjust to the changes. What seems to be extremely debilitating at first you can actually grow into. It's almost like breaking in a new pair of shoes that hurt your feet for awhile before starting to fit better. In my late 30s I lost 20lbs and suddenly started to get a lot more infections, developed minor asthma, allergies, and had bronchitis really bad off and on for a few years. After a while that improved and while I still have it it is nowhere near as bad as it was. About 3 years ago or so my up close vision got bad.to where I used readers alot. I'm using them right now. However the ability to focus my eyes goes up and down. It's not constant. Sometimes I get by fairly well without my glasses. Other times there is no possible way I can read the instructions on a box of frozen food without glasses.

Some old injuries to my ankles particularly my right one have caught up with me. We moved into this house five and a half years ago, and I have actually fallen down the stairs three times. Two of those times we're just about four steps and only my ankle was swollen as I pretty much fell like a pro. The third time I was carrying my son's bicycle down to the basement and fell down the last four steps after repeatedly telling myself not to. That was a little worse but that was partly because I fell with a bike. I've started to become more concerned about falling than almost anything else with my health right now. It can be a total game changer in the game of Life and be a real turning point where you'll never live the same again. I'm thinking of installing handles around the stairs that I can hold on to. I have a lot more orthopedic pain than I used to and something like that can really mess with you if you're up on a ladder and don't expect it.

Then there are my varicose veins. I hate them! I'm 52 but my dad had them when he was 32 so how can I complain? Many of these things can be corrected... But when they start piling up it's hard to know which one to take care of first. Right now I'm trying to get fitted for a partial at the dentist but I'm also supposed to have a colonoscopy soon. I have to work and it's really hard to know what to do first.

My parents are 77 and 80. They are mostly vegetarians and have a closet full of vitamins and herbal supplements that has to be seen to be believed. A few years ago when my mother was literally climbing around on the jungle gym and the slide with my son at the playground. She seems like she'd be perfectly capable of still doing it. Both my parents go for long walks almost every day. I'd almost say they have fewer complaints than me... But I have a physical job which I have worked at for 32 years. My mother has been a homemaker mostly, and my stepfather is a computer geek so he doesn't put his body through a lot of shit really. I am a meat cutter who has also done a stint in construction and surveying. Many retirees who come to work in our meat shop comment on how debilitating the work is that we do. Most guys get pretty well worn down by it by their early 60s. A whole lot of aging depends on your genes and how you live... Kind of a combination of both. Like my parents I also go for long walks everyday. It's very important to keep moving and not let yourself get rusty.

Forum List

Back