Whar are your salary requirements?

Are you a conservative who hates hearing liberal success stories?

I'm just amused that you consider $100,000 a year success.

It's kind of adorable, actually.

It's more than 90% of the nation makes. I'm missing your point?
Heā€™s a guy who should be voting republican if he thinks $100k is nothing. I like to know if the republican Iā€™m talking to is rich so I know not to call them stupid. I might call them greedy but not stupid. Itā€™s the broke ones I call stupid.

I also have no debt and no kids. I have way more money than I need. So to me Iā€™m rich. If I had a stay at home wife or child support I wouldnā€™t be rich by any means.

Letā€™s say they made 40% profit on the $40k. Thatā€™s $16k profit they made April 2015. Last April we made 30% profit on $180k. Thatā€™s $54k profit.

Given the weakness you have in economics, finance, accounting, and anything dealing with math, on what basis do you calculate this"profit" you allege they made?

I've explained before what EBIT is and why the use of "profit" is generally imprecise and inappropriate. I suspect that as a line item on an actual income statement, the ROCE on your salary is not anywhere close to what you fantasize it to be.
I told my brother this story and he does know what heā€™s talking about. Heā€™s a high up big wig vp who helps companies restructure. Anyways, he was agreeing with my new boss IF we were a big company. But we are not. So hereā€™s a great example.

We donā€™t get as big of a discount on machine tools as we do our stuff thatā€™s not machine tools. Long story short is we donā€™t get 46-60% off machine tools we only get 10% off. So I told my customers Iā€™d give them 5% off machine tools. Hereā€™s the problem. Letā€™s say itā€™s $5000 machine tool. Do you want to make $250 on that $5000? Ok after EBIT itā€™s $150. Do you want that money? One of those a week is an extra how much a year? A big company would say no a small company says heā€™ll yea.

What?

Good lord, you have no clue.

What you sell a product for is irrelevant.

You have to determine the cost factors:

• Labor
  • Material
  • Overhead
If you are not directly making the part, then you are in a support role, hence overhead.

So if you buy a cutter for a mill for $3,850, then have a man package it taking 10 hours, at $30 and hour, you incur $300 in labor. A standard overhead is 200% so you have $600

Your cost of sales is $4,750 giving you a gross margin of $250. But before that is net profit you have to factor in G&A and myriad of other expenses, leaving you with Earnings Before Interest and Taxes (Depreciation and Amortization) or EBIT (DA)

The idea that your employer is making "30% profit" on your salary is laughable. If you are in an overhead or administrative role, there is no direct line to earnings.
Let me ask you this. Iā€™ll agree a big business would not want that small of a margin but letā€™s say youā€™re a small business and it takes you 5 minutes to flip the order and your small business makes 5% so $250. You donā€™t want that business?

Hereā€™s another thing. I want that customer coming to me for all their needs. Isnā€™t there something to be said for that?

But I might be able to not give any discount because they like ordering everything through me rather than go direct and pay the same. Weā€™re already set up in their system as vendor of choice. Maybe I will have to do that. Or only give 2.5% off.

Thanks for making me think

I said theyā€™re making 30% profit on the stuff I sell. So if we get 50% off and I give 20% we keep 30%.

Does your boss know how ignorant you are?

A 30% gross margin is NOT 30% profit, or anywhere close.
Alright lighten up! What do you think the profit is then and what are you taking out? Are you taking out the electricity, billing person, the staplers, cost of the copier I use?

Ignorant? At some things yes like computers. Yes he knows Iā€™m just a sales guy but he did my job when he first started there and he says I did 10x better job than he did. Well not 10. If he sold $40k a month and I sell $160k that would make me 4 times as good right?

Also consider we donā€™t pay the biller more just because she bills more. We would be paying her to work there with or without my $181k a month. So I donā€™t see what costs need to come out of the 30%. See the point?

What are all these costs that have to come out?

I said theyā€™re making 30% profit on the stuff I sell. So if we get 50% off and I give 20% we keep 30%.

Alright lighten up! What do you think the profit is then and what are you taking out? Are you taking out the electricity, billing person, the staplers, cost of the copier I use?

Ignorant? At some things yes like computers. Yes he knows Iā€™m just a sales guy but he did my job when he first started there and he says I did 10x better job than he did. Well not 10. If he sold $40k a month and I sell $160k that would make me 4 times as good right?

Also consider we donā€™t pay the biller more just because she bills more. We would be paying her to work there with or without my $181k a month. So I donā€™t see what costs need to come out of the 30%. See the point?

You seem to not grasp that there is a building to pay for, lease or mortgage. There are utilities. Property tax, workers comp tax, license fee taxes, city income tax, state income tax, federal income tax. Machinery and equipment to buy and maintain, Office equipment. Vehicles, fuel and maintenance on them.

You literally have no grasp of how a business operates. That's okay, there are people like me to actually run businesses. BUT don't pontificate on subjects you have ZERO grasp of. If you are in sales, I sure hope professional estimators build any bids you put out. Dumb and charming sometimes works with sales, but keep those people away for actual quoting.

You seem to not grasp that there is a building to pay for, lease or mortgage. There are utilities. Property tax, workers comp tax, license fee taxes, city income tax, state income tax, federal income tax. Machinery and equipment to buy and maintain, Office equipment. Vehicles, fuel and maintenance on them.

You literally have no grasp of how a business operates. That's okay, there are people like me to actually run businesses. BUT don't pontificate on subjects you have ZERO grasp of. If you are in sales, I sure hope professional estimators build any bids you put out. Dumb and charming sometimes works with sales, but keep those people away for actual quoting.
So Iā€™m responsible for all the bills? Wow.

But the lights are on regardless of if I sell this stuff or not. They had rent before I quadrupled sales. In fact they had all these costs before I started working there when they were only selling $40k a month. They made $12k profit on aftermarket before I started. Now they make $48k a month profit. The bills they had to pay were the same before I got there.

Sounds like $36k a month in extra cash to me.

No dummy; but it's not profit until all the bills are paid - every last expense associated with the business. We call it "the bottom line" due to the placement on an income statement.

You don't expect Bobobrainless to understand any of this, do you?
No I do but the bills needed to be paid before I quadrupled sales.

This is just the corporation trying to tell the employee he isnā€™t as valuable as I think.

I also do a lot mor3 for this company than sell aftermarket too. I earn my pay. For example all last year I sold training for free. This year I get commission on training too. You gonna charge me again for the rent and electricity? Double dipping me?

No dummy; but it's not profit until all the bills are paid - every last expense associated with the business. We call it "the bottom line" due to the placement on an income statement.
You know what I wish? I wish my company would take the time and factor in all the costs so ebit is taken out.

And anyways, who cares what you think. Even though my boss busted my balls with ebit he said I keep the lights on. And the last time the owner came from Germany she had a smile ear to ear and said keep up the good work. They just moved the marketing guy out of one of the offices and put me in. Everyone was shocked and I heard a few guys say how the fuck did I get the office, so I know Iā€™m doing great. If I wasnā€™t why else would they be paying me $90k?

You know what I wish? I wish my company would take the time and factor in all the costs so ebit is taken out.

And anyways, who cares what you think. Even though my boss busted my balls with ebit he said I keep the lights on. And the last time the owner came from Germany she had a smile ear to ear and said keep up the good work. They just moved the marketing guy out of one of the offices and put me in. Everyone was shocked and I heard a few guys say how the fuck did I get the office, so I know Iā€™m doing great. If I wasnā€™t why else would they be paying me $90k?

EBIT is not taken out, it's "Earnings before Interest and Taxes."

The taxes, which are substantial, and any interest payments are taken out.

EBIT is not taken out, it's "Earnings before Interest and Taxes."

The taxes, which are substantial, and any interest payments are taken out.
The boss is happy with me and the owners happy but I see I can improve my numbers.

Forum List

Back